COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Cook looks to make mark at tackle

[size=18px]Cook looks to make mark at tackle
    Second-round draft pick pulling double duty on Vikings offensive line[/size]

By Jim Rueda
    Free Press Staff Writer

MANKATO —

When you think about the Vikings draft choices from this past April, guys like linebacker Chad Greenway, cornerback Cedric Griffin and quarterback Tarvaris Jackson immediately jump to mind. Only the most ardent of fans remembers that center Ryan Cook was a second-round choice by Minnesota who was taken before Jackson.

The 6-foot-6, 328-pound soft-spoken lineman figures to be the heir apparent to Matt Birk when the latter’s career gets over, but the coaching staff has decided it may not want to wait that long to have Cook contribute. In addition to his centering duties, Cook was moved to right tackle toward the end of the first week of training camp, and he’s been working out at both spots ever since.

“We felt that Ryan Cook had position flexibility when we drafted him,” head coach Brad Childress said. “We know he can (play center, but) he’s big enough, he has a long enough reach to play tackle, (too). I just want to know how far we can push the envelope with him.”

Cook realizes he’s no where near being a starting right tackle in the NFL, but he’s not disappointed with his progress there, either.

“It’s a little bit of a transition for me but, overall, I think I’m versatile enough to get out there and play right tackle, and I think that’s the reason the Vikings drafted me,” he said. “There’s a lot of different technical issues coming from center and popping out to right tackle. At this stage of my development I think I’m doing all right.”

Cook proved to be a durable and dependable player at the University of New Mexico. The walk-on played in 49 games for the Lobos, including the final 44 straight of his college career. He was a first team All-Mountain West player three straight seasons and was a third team All-American his senior year.

Heading into Monday night’s preseason game with Oakland, Cook is listed second on the depth chart at right tackle behind Marcus Johnson and third on the chart at center behind Birk and Jason Whittle. Cook says his progress at center has been steady but admits that most of his attention has been focused on right tackle since the move over.

“I think (his move to right tackle) is going fine,” said offensive coordinator Darrell Bevel. “It’s up and down every day, but it’s a work in progress. He’s working the technique, he’s listening to the coaches.

“Every day is something new; they’re just trying to piece it together. You can see him take those small steps (every practice).”

Cook is expecting to get some on-the-job training at both positions Monday night. He hasn’t been told anything official about where or how much he’ll be playing, but he’s assuming he’ll get his share of field time.

“I’m guessing I’ll be dabbling in a little bit of both right tackle and center on Monday,” he said. “That will give me and the coaches a better idea of where I’m at.”
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Cook looks to make mark at tackle

I hope not to see Cook on the field much this season, it takes most O-lineman 3 to 4 years to be good. I hope that someday he can live up to the 2 round pick he was and 4 years down the road he is a main stay on our O-line.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

He won't get to start, as it looks like Marcus Johnson is the starter, with Rosenthal as the primary backup. Cook will have time to develope. With a healthy Matt Birk he defenantly will be afforded the chance to learn from some of the best in the league.

faninphx is offline Starter

I really like our O and D lines this year. That's the main reason I think the Vikes will fair very well this year. A good O and D line will go under the radar because it's not quite as attractive as "marquee" RBs, WRs and QBs. I like when the "experts" don't give us much of a chance because it gives us an underdog advantage.