Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Re: Cook crams extra hard for Kampman

Many good posts guys, I agree that Kampman, and KGB are going to be tough. We must be less predictable in our playcalling, and we also must rush the ball off tackle right at these guys.

Chip blocking with a back, lineing Kliensasser up for help, and using a rhtym passing attack 3 step, 5 step drops, and Bevell must not always be so predictable in play calling. Throw it on first and second downs, call screen plays and draws to slow that rush down. We all know that a powerful rushing attack will wear down a defense late in a game, we just have to keep them guessing, which will also wear them down. Then pound that rock down there throats. Cook, now in his third year will be a much improved Tackle, and will be able to hold his own more.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    His performance could easily be the key to victory. Last year he may have given up fewer sacks to Kampman, but part of that was because we committed extra help to his side that we weren't the year before. I would also have to look up the number of pass plays last year compared to the year before.

At any rate, if he can play a solid game, it will be more important to the offense than almost any other position.
    I highly doubt that, when Cook started as a Rookie we had to have game planed to give help him. He was a rookie Center playing RT for petes sake. I expet to help out both Tackles come Monday with TE help and Chip Blocking.

I agree it will be important for the Tackles to play well but I'm not confinced they won't. I think we need to start quick by getting in rythm forcing there defense off balance resulting in a easier job for the OLine. The pressence of the Passing Game should also result in less stress on the Oline. Berrian, Rice, and Tarvaris need to connect.

Bevel will need to be better than last year in terms of play calling, we need to have confidence in Tarvaris in order to stay un predictable. We need to throw on 1st down. If we start doing run on first down second down throw on third and forever it could mean trouble.
    When Cook & Rosie started on the line in 2006, it was the best performance we had seen out of the right side of the line all year. Before that it was mediocre at best.

How soon people forget.
    I love it how you pull stats out of the hardest to reach places of the internet when they support your argument but conveniently forget them when they don't.

http://www.vikings.com/TeamPlayerProfile_ryan_cook.aspx

Played in 6 games on the season and started the final 3 games at RT…Played in his 1st NFL game when he rotated at RT with Mike Rosenthal vs. Arizona (11/26) as the Vikings snapped a 4-game losing streak…Shared time at RT with Rosenthal at Chicago (12/3)…Took the majority of the snaps at Detroit (12/10) after rotating into the game…Started his 1st career game when he opened at RT vs. NY Jets (12/17)…Started at RT at Green Bay (12/21) and in season finale vs. St. Louis (12/31)…Inactive for 10 games.
    So basically he played against Arizona Vs.Chike Okeafor. Not a great pass rusher and this was his 7th and final year in the league. I guess if he couldn't even make the nfl roster the next year he wasn't too good or else he got injured. I couldn't find evidence either way. He was held to no sacks though, so this was a good job.

Then he played against Chicago Vs. Tommy Harris, who had 5 sacks that year and none after week 4.

Then Detroit Vs. I believe Jared Devries and Corey Smith. But against who cares who he faced, they sucked.

Then started against the Jets Vs Shaun Ellis.
    They did give up no sacks

Started against GB and had to block Kampman. Gave up 3 sacks and 4 hurries.

Ended the season against St Louis and Leonard Little during a 41-21 loss. 1 sack

So while they may have looked the best they did all year, it was largely due to the talent they faced. When he did face a top DE in Kampman, he didn't look too good at all.
    It is all relative.
    I really don't care what he did or didn't do last year with different people next to him and different QBs behind him or the talent he faced.
    All that matters is how he plays this year.

He is still young and he has room for improvement.
    We need to see improvement even on small scales.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

I too think its all about the playcalling/scheme we bring to this game.
    We will need to throw on first down, I'd love to see the first play be a playaction fake to AP for a 40+ yard completion to Berrian, Rice or Allison...maybe even a TD!
    But, yeah, spread out the ball offense, 3 step drops and rollouts with quick release pass conections all over the field...much like what we saw in that first preseason game when Jackson was 8/11 (72% comp) and connecting with everyone on the team!!

And, we'll need to win most of the individual battles...our boys better come out swinging, cuz its not going to be easy!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    His performance could easily be the key to victory. Last year he may have given up fewer sacks to Kampman, but part of that was because we committed extra help to his side that we weren't the year before. I would also have to look up the number of pass plays last year compared to the year before.

At any rate, if he can play a solid game, it will be more important to the offense than almost any other position.
    I highly doubt that, when Cook started as a Rookie we had to have game planed to give help him. He was a rookie Center playing RT for petes sake. I expet to help out both Tackles come Monday with TE help and Chip Blocking.

I agree it will be important for the Tackles to play well but I'm not confinced they won't. I think we need to start quick by getting in rythm forcing there defense off balance resulting in a easier job for the OLine. The pressence of the Passing Game should also result in less stress on the Oline. Berrian, Rice, and Tarvaris need to connect.

Bevel will need to be better than last year in terms of play calling, we need to have confidence in Tarvaris in order to stay un predictable. We need to throw on 1st down. If we start doing run on first down second down throw on third and forever it could mean trouble.
    When Cook & Rosie started on the line in 2006, it was the best performance we had seen out of the right side of the line all year. Before that it was mediocre at best.

How soon people forget.
    I love it how you pull stats out of the hardest to reach places of the internet when they support your argument but conveniently forget them when they don't.

http://www.vikings.com/TeamPlayerProfile_ryan_cook.aspx

Played in 6 games on the season and started the final 3 games at RT…Played in his 1st NFL game when he rotated at RT with Mike Rosenthal vs. Arizona (11/26) as the Vikings snapped a 4-game losing streak…Shared time at RT with Rosenthal at Chicago (12/3)…Took the majority of the snaps at Detroit (12/10) after rotating into the game…Started his 1st career game when he opened at RT vs. NY Jets (12/17)…Started at RT at Green Bay (12/21) and in season finale vs. St. Louis (12/31)…Inactive for 10 games.
    So basically he played against Arizona Vs.Chike Okeafor. Not a great pass rusher and this was his 7th and final year in the league. I guess if he couldn't even make the nfl roster the next year he wasn't too good or else he got injured. I couldn't find evidence either way. He was held to no sacks though, so this was a good job.

Then he played against Chicago Vs. Tommy Harris, who had 5 sacks that year and none after week 4.

Then Detroit Vs. I believe Jared Devries and Corey Smith. But against who cares who he faced, they sucked.

Then started against the Jets Vs Shaun Ellis.
    They did give up no sacks

Started against GB and had to block Kampman. Gave up 3 sacks and 4 hurries.

Ended the season against St Louis and Leonard Little during a 41-21 loss. 1 sack

So while they may have looked the best they did all year, it was largely due to the talent they faced. When he did face a top DE in Kampman, he didn't look too good at all.
    Since when did Rosie ever look good?
    I believe that was one of the best moves this team ever made in moving in the right direction to straighten out this ship of ours.
    Getting rid of Rosie was a no brainer if you ask me.
    Cook, has shown signs of improvement and still must continue to.
    I didn't like seeing him get planted on his key hole in the pre-season game against the Steelers.
    He got owned twice, but I beleive that was just a case of Cook not going full speed and the defender playing "All Out" on that play.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"mountainviking" wrote:
    We will need to throw on first down, I'd love to see the first play be a playaction fake to AP for a 40+ yard completion to Berrian, Rice or Allison...maybe even a TD!
    But, yeah, spread out the ball offense, 3 step drops and rollouts with quick release pass conections all over the field...much like what we saw in that first preseason game when Jackson was 8/11 (72% comp) and connecting with everyone on the team!!

And, we'll need to win most of the individual battles...our boys better come out swinging, cuz its not going to be easy!
    If you are the D are you going to over commit to the run that early.
    I know they are probably worried about AD but they have seen him before and done.
    Granted he didn't play a full game in GB, but AD hasn't scored on GB yet.
    He did have 112 yds in the first (full) game and a long of 55yds.
    We will see.
    I think the biggest surprise would be AD catching more passes on screens or make the LB account for him down field.
    No matter, the fun will start on Monday.

I guess my point was that I would rather build on the run and script of the first drive than possibly waste a first down play on the long ball.
    Scoring on the opening drive is important.

This post is a little off topic.
    I guess to get it back on track, I would have to say that the more we pass, the more Cook will be exposed, the more potential for holding and such.
    I personally don't think he is going to be a liability to the passing game, T-Jack needs to get rid of the ball and if we are going long fake it to AD and let him step over to help or put the TE on that side, yes, that gets us back to scheme.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"mountainviking" wrote:

I almost agree with you my friend in total.
    Just have one issue with your post.......

We need to recognize what they are gonna do to us on first down and audible out of our play if it isn't beat what they are trying to do.

IMHO the biggest pressure here isn't on Cook and (YUK) Hicks but rather Birk and TJ.
    They both need to make correct pre-snap reads which will allow for the proper protection/blocking scheme and associated play.

If they aren't getting that right the plays will break down and all of the yutz's on here will be chiming in with thier standard cliche' "The play calling sucked" when in fact Birk and TJ's pre-snap reads sucked.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

My guess is that the first 3 or 4 teams we play will start out all about AP.
    From what I've seen in the preseason, he is a better decoy than ball carrier on many downs...the enemy is just all fricken over him.
    If we run on first, we will be setting ourselves up for 3rd and long and that is exactly what we don't want to give the Packers' pass rush!!

Seriously, I am about 99% certain that the Packers will be focused on AP to start the game.
    He is obviously our biggest threat, and until TJack starts beating teams with his arm, AP will remain the main focus of opponents defense.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"mountainviking" wrote:
    From what I've seen in the preseason, he is a better decoy than ball carrier on many downs...
    the enemy is just all fricken over him.
    If we run on first, we will be setting ourselves up for 3rd and long and that is exactly what we don't want to give the Packers' pass rush!!

Seriously, I am about 99% certain that the Packers will be focused on AP to start the game.
    He is obviously our biggest threat, and until TJack starts beating teams with his arm, AP will remain the main focus of opponents defense.
    That is why it was important for us to utilize AP in the passing game last season. Sending him out on a flare would freeze the Lbs and everyone whose job it is to spy him. Blitzers loose him in coverage, TD. Blitzers find him and voer him, less pressure on TJ. We win either way.

What I don't want to see this game is our offense going in to Turtle mode. When teams ran their umbrella cover on AD last season, we seem to stay in Double Tight all game to help the pressue. I believe there are 2 ways to
    to resolve this, you can turtle up or you can spread the defense out. I would prefer us to spread them out and have them adjust by brining more Cbs on the feild. When you go into Turtle mode/castle mode...you just encourage them to bombard you more.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:
    From what I've seen in the preseason, he is a better decoy than ball carrier on many downs...
    the enemy is just all fricken over him.

That is why it was important for us to utilize AP in the passing game last season. Sending him out on a flare would freeze the Lbs and everyone whose job it is to spy him. Blitzers loose him in coverage, TD. Blitzers find him and voer him, less pressure on TJ. We win either way.

What I don't want to see this game is our offense going in to Turtle mode. When teams ran their umbrella cover on AD last season, we seem to stay in Double Tight all game to help the pressue. I believe there are 2 ways to
    to resolve this, you can turtle up or you can spread the defense out. I would prefer us to spread them out and have them adjust by brining more Cbs on the feild. When you go into Turtle mode/castle mode...you just encourage them to bombard you more.
    It will be difficult for AD to run on first down, and your right, it will start to setup obvious passing downs.
    We need to pick up yardage on first downs, setting up 2nd and 3rd and manageables.
    This will help take some pressure of T-Jack.

Also, penalties will be key.
    If we can stay out of long downs, that will help immensly.
    (I think I just stated the obvious there)

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Cook for mvp

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast