Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Cook crams extra hard for Kampman

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/27939234.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:a UU

As the Vikings prepare for their season opener Monday night in Green Bay, much of the focus has centered on Artis Hicks substituting for the suspended Bryant McKinnie at left tackle.

The reality is the toughest matchup for the Vikings line might be on the opposite side. That's where right tackle Ryan Cook will face Packers Pro Bowl left end Aaron Kampman. Cook is no stranger to the damage Kampman is capable of inflicting...
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Cook crams extra hard for Kampman

Good article, its intristing to know Kampan got him for three sacks in his rookie season, Cook narrowed it down to one last season in two games and I think that shows progression. Hopefully Cook can continue to improve and become a very solid RT.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

His performance could easily be the key to victory. Last year he may have given up fewer sacks to Kampman, but part of that was because we committed extra help to his side that we weren't the year before. I would also have to look up the number of pass plays last year compared to the year before.

At any rate, if he can play a solid game, it will be more important to the offense than almost any other position.

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    His performance could easily be the key to victory. Last year he may have given up fewer sacks to Kampman, but part of that was because we committed extra help to his side that we weren't the year before. I would also have to look up the number of pass plays last year compared to the year before.

At any rate, if he can play a solid game, it will be more important to the offense than almost any other position.
    I highly doubt that, when Cook started as a Rookie we had to have game planed to give help him. He was a rookie Center playing RT for petes sake. I expet to help out both Tackles come Monday with TE help and Chip Blocking.

I agree it will be important for the Tackles to play well but I'm not confinced they won't. I think we need to start quick by getting in rythm forcing there defense off balance resulting in a easier job for the OLine. The pressence of the Passing Game should also result in less stress on the Oline. Berrian, Rice, and Tarvaris need to connect.

Bevel will need to be better than last year in terms of play calling, we need to have confidence in Tarvaris in order to stay un predictable. We need to throw on 1st down. If we start doing run on first down second down throw on third and forever it could mean trouble.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

I highly doubt that, when Cook started as a Rookie we had to have game planed to give help him. He was a rookie Center playing RT for petes sake. I expet to help out both Tackles come Monday with TE help and Chip Blocking.

I agree it will be important for the Tackles to play well but I'm not confinced they won't. I think we need to start quick by getting in rythm forcing there defense off balance resulting in a easier job for the OLine. The pressence of the Passing Game should also result in less stress on the Oline. Berrian, Rice, and Tarvaris need to connect.

Bevel will need to be better than last year in terms of play calling, we need to have confidence in Tarvaris in order to stay un predictable. We need to throw on 1st down. If we start doing run on first down second down throw on third and forever it could mean trouble.
    Being able to throw on a typical running down will be very important for us.
    As will be able to throw out of a running formation, and being able to call the correct audible.

I have faith in our team and our QB, but I really need to se Bevel step it up.
    Predictability drives me nuts...that and stupid penalties.
    We need to be well balanced, and keep teams off guard.
    2nd and short...throw the ball....toss it long even.....there may be series where we have to punt due to not gaining a first down, but we need to keep the d off guard.

"NDVikingFan66" wrote:

Being able to throw on a typical running down will be very important for us.
    As will be able to throw out of a running formation, and being able to call the correct audible.

I have faith in our team and our QB, but I really need to se Bevel step it up.
    Predictability drives me nuts...that and stupid penalties.
    We need to be well balanced, and keep teams off guard.
    2nd and short...throw the ball....toss it long even.....there may be series where we have to punt due to not gaining a first down, but we need to keep the d off guard.
    Yup good post, the only thing I wanted to add was what you said about audibles, as much as I thought we might start seeing more of this Tarvaris said in interview that in this offense he won't need to. I think if he wants to switch from a pass to run or vice versa he will have to. As far as the WR's and TE's go they have there own options to take advantage of what the defense gives them, Tarvaris has to recognize this in order to be on the same page as his targets.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

This is Cook's year.
    He doesn't have to be perfect, just consistent on the good side, but needs to keep improving slightly.
    Less holding.

I can't wait for Monday.
    Let's go Vikes..........

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

When Cook & Rosie started on the line in 2006, it was the best performance we had seen out of the right side of the line all year. Before that it was mediocre at best.

How soon people forget.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

Why do you doubt it? If you watched the games and were active on the forums, which I know you were, it was pretty well established that last year they introduced the two TE formation into the playbook,which gave them better pass protection and also was effective to run out of.
    In 2006 the two TE formation was non existent.

If they did gameplan to help him out, what exactly did that gameplan consist of?

Blog Entries

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

When Cook & Rosie started on the line in 2006, it was the best performance we had seen out of the right side of the line all year. Before that it was mediocre at best.

How soon people forget.
    I love it how you pull stats out of the hardest to reach places of the internet when they support your argument but conveniently forget them when they don't.

http://www.vikings.com/TeamPlayerProfile_ryan_cook.aspx

Played in 6 games on the season and started the final 3 games at RT…Played in his 1st NFL game when he rotated at RT with Mike Rosenthal vs. Arizona (11/26) as the Vikings snapped a 4-game losing streak…Shared time at RT with Rosenthal at Chicago (12/3)…Took the majority of the snaps at Detroit (12/10) after rotating into the game…Started his 1st career game when he opened at RT vs. NY Jets (12/17)…Started at RT at Green Bay (12/21) and in season finale vs. St. Louis (12/31)…Inactive for 10 games.
    So basically he played against Arizona Vs.Chike Okeafor. Not a great pass rusher and this was his 7th and final year in the league. I guess if he couldn't even make the nfl roster the next year he wasn't too good or else he got injured. I couldn't find evidence either way. He was held to no sacks though, so this was a good job.

Then he played against Chicago Vs. Tommy Harris, who had 5 sacks that year and none after week 4.

Then Detroit Vs. I believe Jared Devries and Corey Smith. But against who cares who he faced, they sucked.

Then started against the Jets Vs Shaun Ellis.
    They did give up no sacks

Started against GB and had to block Kampman. Gave up 3 sacks and 4 hurries.

Ended the season against St Louis and Leonard Little during a 41-21 loss. 1 sack

So while they may have looked the best they did all year, it was largely due to the talent they faced. When he did face a top DE in Kampman, he didn't look too good at all.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast