Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contracts

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Contracts

You hear all of the time about teams renegotiating contracts by "back-loading" the contracts so that the total numbers still sound good, but the deal is more "cap friendly" in the current year. As I understand it, it should be possible to do the opposite by lowering the base salaries in the out years, and making up for that in up-front, guaranteed money. Well, the Vikings have addressed the majority of their free agent needs. It looks like they'll have to find a DE in the draft. Any other free agents they pick up won't be the break-the-bank type. They're more likely to be 2nd tier roll-fillers. Why not use that cap space to front-load the contracts on some of our stars, so that we remain cap-friendly well into the future? Am I understanding things correctly, or am I way of base here?

Moss is Boss is offline Training Camp

Contracts

The vikings already did it. Antoine Winfield's contract is very frontloaded. He gets 35 million $ over 6 years and a 10,8 million $ signing bonus, which is actually a roster bonus. roster bonuses count 100% against the cap room in the year, when they are paid. So this season Winfield's cap number will constitute 12.4 million dollars. (10.8 M$ roster bonus + 1.6 M$ base salary )
    So after that season the Vikes will only have to pay the base salary to Antoine Winfield

The base salaries for the upcoming years:
    2004: $1,6 Mio.
    2005: $600.000
    2006: $4,7 Mio.
    2007: $4,9 Mio.
    2008: $5,6 Mio.
    2009: $6,0 Mio.

So if the Vikings have to cut after that season, there will be no cap cit, bacause they already paid him all of his roster bonus.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Contracts

Yeah i think it is a great idea that rob brunzwick dude is pretty damn smart, they know they wern't going to use all of ther cap room so they front loaded Winfield and got all of his bonus money takin care of, and next year they will have a lot of cap room to resighn hovan, brian williams and whoever else needs a new contract Claborne

Contracts

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Moss is Boss

The vikings already did it. Antoine Winfield's contract is very frontloaded. He gets 35 million $ over 6 years and a 10,8 million $ signing bonus, which is actually a roster bonus. roster bonuses count 100% against the cap room in the year, when they are paid. So this season Winfield's cap number will constitute 12.4 million dollars. (10.8 M$ roster bonus + 1.6 M$ base salary )
    So after that season the Vikes will only have to pay the base salary to Antoine Winfield

The base salaries for the upcoming years:
    2004: $1,6 Mio.
    2005: $600.000
    2006: $4,7 Mio.
    2007: $4,9 Mio.
    2008: $5,6 Mio.
    2009: $6,0 Mio.

So if the Vikings have to cut after that season, there will be no cap cit, bacause they already paid him all of his roster bonus.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I missed the fact that Winfield's bonus was really a roster bonus. That's good to hear. I think that we need to find out everybody in the Vikings front office that is studying the cap, and get Red to pay them more. They deserve it.

Contracts

Okay, a quick addition to this thread:

What do you suppose the chances are of the Vikings using this extra Cap space to resign/extend Hovan? It looks like his contract's up after the '04 season, and I for one don't want to see him hit the free agent market. Let's sign him this year, while we have this surplus of space.

Contracts

ok, don't everybody jump on my @ss for this... i'd like to see hovan earn his new contract. his sack and tackle totals of last year don't seem like he deserves an extention. i hope he has a great year this year, and if so give him the bling. but if he has a year next year like this one...
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

Contracts

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by amavikesfan

ok, don't everybody jump on my @ss for this... i'd like to see hovan earn his new contract. his sack and tackle totals of last year don't seem like he deserves an extention. i hope he has a great year this year, and if so give him the bling. but if he has a year next year like this one...
    I agree. Anyway, holding off on signing him could motivate him to perform.......the guy's meant to be a Viking.

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

LosAngelis is offline Team Alumni

Contracts

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by amavikesfan

I'm sure everyone in the Vikings organization would love to see Hovan start to get paid by the sack instead of by the sound bite.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Viking_Spirit
    I agree. Anyway, holding off on signing him could motivate him to perform.......the guy's meant to be a Viking.

Truer words were never spoken....that underachieving, loud-mouthed, Favre-stalking, publicity-seeking punk IS meant to be a Viking!!!!
    Have you ever seen a race of turtles, and they all go the wrong way instead of towards the finish line?

Welcome to the NFC North.

Contracts

Truer words were never spoken....that underachieving, loud-mouthed, Favre-stalking, publicity-seeking punk IS meant to be a Viking!!!!

great we got another jonny in here...
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

Contracts

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by LosAngelis

[quote]Originally posted by amavikesfan

ok,

Keep yapping it up Los...its the only Talk your going to be able to to as you watch the Vikings assembling the Team of the future while the Packers keep packing in the fudge for self explosion.

And as far as a DT getting paid by the Sack..well thats absurd..or else you would have alot of underpaid DT's.
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast