Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Consistency earns Longwell passing grade

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Sure he can make long field goals, but he also can't kick the gol 'darnit ball past the 15 on KO's without sacrificing serious hang time to get it back there.

Most on here think my stance is just because he is an Ex-PUKER (alright it might have some play into my opinion) but the main reason I want him gone is because of KO's and the predicament he continually puts our D in.

If he gets hang time they start on the 30, if he goes for distance they cold start anyweres because our coverage guys just can't get down there to cover the guy.

FG's be damned.
    Get rid of his jiggly butt for a young kid who can kick it into the endzone with some hang time. Hire a ST's coach who can work with the kid and teach him how to kick FGs at the next level.
    Birk
    Sharper

Now Longwell.

Same Marrdro, different player.

My refute also stays the same. Don't replace a quality vet until you have a replacement that is surely as good or better. Just because a guy is "slowing down", you assume a young guy can do better. WRONG.

Example of what not to do: Cut Richardson and replace him with Tapeh/Tahi

Example of what to do: Replace Sam Cowart with Chad Greenway.
    LOL, I new I should have amplified my post for guys like you my friend.

Not like I'm saying get rid of him on Christmas eve or anything.
    Of course you would have to have a few guys come in during the offseason to give him a run for his money.

Seriously though, you above all on here should know that players age.
    Regardless of what us yutz fans think, they will eventually start to provide negative impact on the team.
    Only the good teams anticipate that and have the right cat standing on the sidelines ready to come in.

The bad ones, either hang on to them to long or go out and sign them to huge contracts and give up draft picks for them.

;D
    This is the first time I recall you mentioning the RIGHT cat. Usually, you just notice an aging player, and assume that any young player, no matter who he is (John Sullivan, Dan Mozes, Ryan Cook, Drew Radovich, Greg Blue, Shank, etc.) is the RIGHT CAT.

Amazing how the right cat sometimes doesn't even make the team.

Next offseason, I don't look forward to listening to you rave about some young project kicker, until he gets cut of course, then I'll have my laugh.
    LOL, of course I miss the mark at times.....Gimme some game tape on them and I bet my average would be a bit higher......

Truth be told, my analysis on Mozes was based on listening to Dean Dalton and Paul Allen rave about him, along with a couple of other guys, on the Sirius.

Just goes to prove my point about the media hacks.
    They are on better than us yutz fans when it comes to this stuff.
    If I wanted to hear what NFL Radio has to say I would listen to it. If they were better than us wouldn't they say Mozes was not the man like the rest of us?

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"V4L" wrote:
    I don't care what anyone says Longwell is a damn good kicker

And our kick coverage has been pretty good and at the most letting them go to the 30

Who cares if we get a touchback? Not me.. We still stop them around the 20-25 yard mark anyway

+1

Every time I've seen him attempt a clutch kick, he's made it.

I think people are too hard on him, he's damn good.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"PackSux!" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Sure he can make long field goals, but he also can't kick the gol 'darnit ball past the 15 on KO's without sacrificing serious hang time to get it back there.

Most on here think my stance is just because he is an Ex-PUKER (alright it might have some play into my opinion) but the main reason I want him gone is because of KO's and the predicament he continually puts our D in.

If he gets hang time they start on the 30, if he goes for distance they cold start anyweres because our coverage guys just can't get down there to cover the guy.

FG's be damned.
    Get rid of his jiggly butt for a young kid who can kick it into the endzone with some hang time. Hire a ST's coach who can work with the kid and teach him how to kick FGs at the next level.

ROTFLMAO!

You cant be serious?
    The sad part is he is serious. Just like he was serious about if Favre came here he would no longer be a fan.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Off the subject but this is some defense for Marrdro

I gotta say I thought Mozes was a good project player as well

Watching just from preseason and hearing things from camp gave me enough reason to think he could develop into our starting center

I can't blame Marr for thinking so as well.. He was to get developed under Birk and did for awhile.. Sullivan has shown more though in his short time and when you find someone better you stick with them

Oh and Longwell still rocks.. The dude is clutch.. Didnt he hit a 56 yard game winner against the Bears or something?

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

FG's be damned.
    Birk
    Sharper

Now Longwell.

Same Marrdro, different player.

My refute also stays the same. Don't replace a quality vet until you have a replacement that is surely as good or better. Just because a guy is "slowing down", you assume a young guy can do better. WRONG.

Example of what not to do: Cut Richardson and replace him with Tapeh/Tahi

Example of what to do: Replace Sam Cowart with Chad Greenway.
    LOL, I new I should have amplified my post for guys like you my friend.

Not like I'm saying get rid of him on Christmas eve or anything.
    Of course you would have to have a few guys come in during the offseason to give him a run for his money.

Seriously though, you above all on here should know that players age.
    Regardless of what us yutz fans think, they will eventually start to provide negative impact on the team.
    Only the good teams anticipate that and have the right cat standing on the sidelines ready to come in.

The bad ones, either hang on to them to long or go out and sign them to huge contracts and give up draft picks for them.

;D
    This is the first time I recall you mentioning the RIGHT cat. Usually, you just notice an aging player, and assume that any young player, no matter who he is (John Sullivan, Dan Mozes, Ryan Cook, Drew Radovich, Greg Blue, Shank, etc.) is the RIGHT CAT.

Amazing how the right cat sometimes doesn't even make the team.

Next offseason, I don't look forward to listening to you rave about some young project kicker, until he gets cut of course, then I'll have my laugh.
    +1

You forgot to mention Steven Hauschka.

"V4L" wrote:

Watching just from preseason and hearing things from camp gave me enough reason to think he could develop into our starting center

I can't blame Marr for thinking so as well.. He was to get developed under Birk and did for awhile.. Sullivan has shown more though in his short time and when you find someone better you stick with them

Oh and Longwell still rocks.. The dude is clutch.. Didnt he hit a 56 yard game winner against the Bears or something?
    Sullivan was a stud at Notre Dame. I had a hunch he would be the guy. I expect big things from him.

He helped pave the way for a 1,000-yard rusher from 2004-06 and protected a 3,000-yard passer in 2005 and 2006. Sullivan was selected a team captain in 2007 and was named the Guardian of the Year at the 2007 team banquet.
    http://und.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042708aad.html

Mozes and the other hand......
    After the Senior Bowl, NFL Draft Countdown's Scott Wright reported that Mozes was the ninth prospect whose stock was slipping the most, saying "[He is a] Highly-decorated college player who lacks the physical tools for the next level."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Mozes

he has been solid for us thank god

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"marstc09" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:

Sullivan was a stud at Notre Dame. I had a hunch he would be the guy. I expect big things from him.

He helped pave the way for a 1,000-yard rusher from 2004-06 and protected a 3,000-yard passer in 2005 and 2006. Sullivan was selected a team captain in 2007 and was named the Guardian of the Year at the 2007 team banquet.
    http://und.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/042708aad.html

Mozes and the other hand......
    After the Senior Bowl, NFL Draft Countdown's Scott Wright reported that Mozes was the ninth prospect whose stock was slipping the most, saying "[He is a] Highly-decorated college player who lacks the physical tools for the next level."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Mozes

I know the story on them both my man

They said the same thing about alot of players

I still felt after watching him for us for a little bit I thought he could possibly develop into a starting center for us

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    I don't care what anyone says Longwell is a damn good kicker

And our kick coverage has been pretty good and at the most letting them go to the 30

Who cares if we get a touchback? Not me.. We still stop them around the 20-25 yard mark anyway

+1

I think people are too hard on him, he's damn good.
    Agreed.

Damn good player, damn good guy.

Should see him with his kids too, he's great with them -- oh and his wife is hot.

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"C" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    I don't care what anyone says Longwell is a gol 'darnit good kicker

+1

I think people are too hard on him, he's gol 'darnit good.
    So the ones he missed weren't clutch kicks and didn't mean anything then I guess?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast