Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Consistency earns Longwell passing grade

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    except for that 57 yarder against SD! gol 'darnit HIM for not having a Janikowski like leg.... Bastard :P

which brings me to my next point....

Marrdro... the feeling I'm getting is you would rather have Janikowski than Longwell.
    Is that right?
    Well I am not sure how you garnered Jan out of my post, but at this point, if I was the GM, I would definately be looking to upgrade my Kickers this offseason.

Kluwe has struggled with accuracy (Unless you are of the ilk who thinks he just kicks it as far as he can) and because of that the play called by the ST's coach isn't executed well.

Longwell (aka Shortwell), although he is reliable in the FB area, continually puts our D in a bad position because of his short kicks on KO's when he tries for hang time.

I like the idea of getting a punter in who can also KO in the offseason for a look.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"PackSux!" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Sure he can make long field goals, but he also can't kick the gol 'darnit ball past the 15 on KO's without sacrificing serious hang time to get it back there.

Most on here think my stance is just because he is an Ex-PUKER (alright it might have some play into my opinion) but the main reason I want him gone is because of KO's and the predicament he continually puts our D in.

If he gets hang time they start on the 30, if he goes for distance they cold start anyweres because our coverage guys just can't get down there to cover the guy.

FG's be damned.
    Get rid of his jiggly butt for a young kid who can kick it into the endzone with some hang time. Hire a ST's coach who can work with the kid and teach him how to kick FGs at the next level.

ROTFLMAO!

You cant be serious?
    Didn't put alot of smiley's in there so I must have been. :
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Sure he can make long field goals, but he also can't kick the damn ball past the 15 on KO's without sacrificing serious hang time to get it back there.

Most on here think my stance is just because he is an Ex-PUKER (alright it might have some play into my opinion) but the main reason I want him gone is because of KO's and the predicament he continually puts our D in.

If he gets hang time they start on the 30, if he goes for distance they cold start anyweres because our coverage guys just can't get down there to cover the guy.

FG's be damned.
    Get rid of his ass for a young kid who can kick it into the endzone with some hang time. Hire a ST's coach who can work with the kid and teach him how to kick FGs at the next level.
    Birk
    Sharper

Now Longwell.

Same Marrdro, different player.

My refute also stays the same. Don't replace a quality vet until you have a replacement that is surely as good or better. Just because a guy is "slowing down", you assume a young guy can do better. WRONG.

Example of what not to do: Cut Richardson and replace him with Tapeh/Tahi

Example of what to do: Replace Sam Cowart with Chad Greenway.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Sure he can make long field goals, but he also can't kick the gol 'darnit ball past the 15 on KO's without sacrificing serious hang time to get it back there.

FG's be damned.
    Get rid of his jiggly butt for a young kid who can kick it into the endzone with some hang time. Hire a ST's coach who can work with the kid and teach him how to kick FGs at the next level.
    Birk
    Sharper

Now Longwell.

My refute also stays the same. Don't replace a quality vet until you have a replacement that is surely as good or better. Just because a guy is "slowing down", you assume a young guy can do better. WRONG.

LOL, I new I should have amplified my post for guys like you my friend.

Not like I'm saying get rid of him on Christmas eve or anything.
    Of course you would have to have a few guys come in during the offseason to give him a run for his money.

Seriously though, you above all on here should know that players age.
    Regardless of what us yutz fans think, they will eventually start to provide negative impact on the team.
    Only the good teams anticipate that and have the right cat standing on the sidelines ready to come in.

The bad ones, either hang on to them to long or go out and sign them to huge contracts and give up draft picks for them.
    ;D

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

FG's be damned.
    Birk
    Sharper

Now Longwell.

Of course you would have to have a few guys come in during the offseason to give him a run for his money.

Regardless of what us yutz fans think, they will eventually start to provide negative impact on the team.
    Only the good teams anticipate that and have the right cat standing on the sidelines ready to come in.

The bad ones, either hang on to them to long or go out and sign them to huge contracts and give up draft picks for them.

;D
    This is the first time I recall you mentioning the RIGHT cat. Usually, you just notice an aging player, and assume that any young player, no matter who he is (John Sullivan, Dan Mozes, Ryan Cook, Drew Radovich, Greg Blue, Shank, etc.) is the RIGHT CAT.

Amazing how the right cat sometimes doesn't even make the team.

Next offseason, I don't look forward to listening to you rave about some young project kicker, until he gets cut of course, then I'll have my laugh.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

"V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

FG's be damned.
    Birk
    Sharper

Now Longwell.

;D
    This is the first time I recall you mentioning the RIGHT cat. Usually, you just notice an aging player, and assume that any young player, no matter who he is (John Sullivan, Dan Mozes, Ryan Cook, Drew Radovich, Greg Blue, Shank, etc.) is the RIGHT CAT.

Amazing how the right cat sometimes doesn't even make the team.

Next offseason, I don't look forward to listening to you rave about some young project kicker, until he gets cut of course, then I'll have my laugh.
    LOL, of course I miss the mark at times.....Gimme some game tape on them and I bet my average would be a bit higher......

Truth be told, my analysis on Mozes was based on listening to Dean Dalton and Paul Allen rave about him, along with a couple of other guys, on the Sirius.

Just goes to prove my point about the media hacks.
    They are on better than us yutz fans when it comes to this stuff.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

FG's be damned.
    Birk
    Sharper

Now Longwell.

;D
    Just like Brett Favres age has slowed him too.
    : Age is nothing but a number. It is all about performance. Regardless what you think about so called lack of hang time which my younger eyes don't see, it is the coverage team. Guys like Vinny, who you thought was a god, are fucking shit up. Just like your golden boy Cook is hurting this team. What about that kicker you promised would take over for LONGwell? Where is he now?

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Sure he can make long field goals, but he also can't kick the damn ball past the 15 on KO's without sacrificing serious hang time to get it back there.

FG's be damned.
    Get rid of his ass for a young kid who can kick it into the endzone with some hang time. Hire a ST's coach who can work with the kid and teach him how to kick FGs at the next level.

Field goals be damned? really? The 22 field goals that Longwell made amounted to 66 points and 25 extra points. How games would we have won with out those 91 points?
    I would much rather give it to the other team at the 25 than miss one of those 50+ yarders and give it to them near mid field. Besides touch backs are boring, I want to see someone get hit.
    Go get that young kid and ST's coach that can teach the kid to kick and put them on the practice squad. Longwell wont be around forever.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    except for that 57 yarder against SD! gol 'darnit HIM for not having a Janikowski like leg.... Bastard :P

which brings me to my next point....

Marrdro... the feeling I'm getting is you would rather have Janikowski than Longwell.
    Is that right?
    Well I am not sure how you garnered Jan out of my post, but at this point, if I was the GM, I would definately be looking to upgrade my Kickers this offseason.

Kluwe has struggled with accuracy (Unless you are of the ilk who thinks he just kicks it as far as he can) and because of that the play called by the ST's coach isn't executed well.

Longwell (aka Shortwell), although he is reliable in the FB area, continually puts our D in a bad position because of his short kicks on KO's when he tries for hang time.

I like the idea of getting a punter in who can also KO in the offseason for a look.
    true, you never said Jan specifically, but i get the idea you'd rather have someone with a boot, and sacrifice accuracy and reliability.
    Or maybe just anyone not named Longwell.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I don't care what anyone says Longwell is a damn good kicker

And our kick coverage has been pretty good and at the most letting them go to the 30

Who cares if we get a touchback? Not me.. We still stop them around the 20-25 yard mark anyway

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast