Thread: Confused

OzzieRizz is offline Waterboy

Confused

I'm far from an expert of football, but I'm just plain confused about the actions that the Vikings are taking. Being $24 mil under the salary cap, why don't they re-sign players like Burleson and Robinson, who has proven quite worthy, especially Robinson (who basically saved the Vikes last season, along with Johnson). I understand that the Vikings will be going on a spending spree, but I still don't see any reason not to re-sign them. Especially with the fact that the Vikes are already underachieving in that position.

I also believe that Culpepper shouldn't be traded. Although people say otherwise, I still believe that he will recover to his once great form. People say that the only reason he was good was because of Moss. However, during the 2004 season, Moss was injured. Although his presence was there, Culpepper adjusted by having a new leading reciever, Burleson.

I don't know. I may be looking at this in the wrong way, but I still don't understand the actions taken by the Vikes.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Confused

"OzzieRizz" wrote:
    I also believe that Culpepper shouldn't be traded. Although people say otherwise, I still believe that he will recover to his once great form. People say that the only reason he was good was because of Moss. However, during the 2004 season, Moss was injured. Although his presence was there, Culpepper adjusted by having a new leading reciever, Burleson.
    I agree, good first post

As far as 18 and 81:

They are letting the market sort things out with the price for Burley and K-Rob, so they don't over pay them, or over pay the position.

Just because someone is a free agent, doesn't mean they are leaving.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

You can comb the topics, there are a ton of opinions in them.

Welcome.

Del Rio Guest

People tend to point to that five game skid where there was no Moss, as proof he can get it done and yet besides the one Packer game that we still lost Daunte put up Brad Johnson numbers. Games with passing yards of 161,231,154,212.........we lost 3 of the 5 games. Scoring an avg of 19 points per game.

So if that is all the evidence needed to proove he can get it done minus Moss then I guess his horrible play last year is more then enough to suggest a trade.

I personally don't believe he has prooven he can get the job done without Moss. I think if he recovers he has the ability to proove it, I don't know if he can though. In the end I don't see them getting rid of Pep. It would be too much work to trade him. I also doubt you will see him play next year at all, especially if we are winning games at the time he comes back. I do expect you will see him in a Vikings jersey again though.

As far as the non signing goes, I think ALOT of it has to do with the extended free agency and the lack of a clear collective barganing agreement. I suspect if the owners approve the plan today you will see some of our FA's signed by the end of the week.

Some players however may be allowed to explore FA as a guage to what they are worth so the Vikings can decide weather or not they want to pay the asking price.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

There's a big difference. Ill-timed DC turnovers and the final outcome of games . . . or losses.

I am a fan of DC, but I also understand the NFL is a business. Is he worth the money to keep him(?) or could that money be used elsewhere to bolster the team.

If DC has proved anything since his arrival, it's he can't win a game by himself. His MVP-caliber season is perfect proof of that. Without a defense, he's useless. He's less of a QB without Moss as well.

There are the other issues with his leadership and his injury as well that cloud the picture.

If the Vikes get a fair deal for an injured DC, I for one, believe he's gone.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

Prophet Guest

"OzzieRizz" wrote:

...why don't they re-sign players like Burleson and Robinson, who has proven quite worthy, especially Robinson (who basically saved the Vikes last season, along with Johnson). I understand that the Vikings will be going on a spending spree, but I still don't see any reason not to re-sign them. Especially with the fact that the Vikes are already underachieving in that position....
    Looks to me that you answered the question yourself. Both are replaceable.