Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rambro is offline Rookie

Comparing Sidney Rice to Plaxico Burress

Sorry if this is the wrong place to do it,
    I was just wondering what Burress' 40 time was.
    Rice ran a 4.51 and he's 6-4 and 202, from yahoo sports he's an inch shorter and 30 lbs less than Burress, if they have identical 40 times I don't see why Rice can't be a #1, maybe if he beefs up a bit he can be, dunno what that would do to his speed though.

Any comments?

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Comparing Sidney Rice to Plaxico Burress

What impressed me most about Burress last night was his hands and his concentration. His size helps, but that is not the number 1 factor in making a number 1 receiver.

Rice had some catches this year where he showed that he might have the hands and the concentration to be a #1. Hopefully he can develop those skills, and not go into a sophmore slump.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

I'm excited to watch him develop.

I was excited about T-Will too; but he's not at all like T-Will.

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Rambro is offline Rookie

"josdin00" wrote:
    What impressed me most about Burress last night was his hands and his concentration. His size helps, but that is not the number 1 factor in making a number 1 receiver.

Rice had some catches this year where he showed that he might have the hands and the concentration to be a #1. Hopefully he can develop those skills, and not go into a sophmore slump.
    No doubt Burress played great last night, but he did have that pretty big drop at like the 5 yard line, that catch coulda put that game away.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

I think Sid will be able to do all the catching that plax does, which is very impressive. But I don't think he will be as good after the catch, he just doesn't have that huge build like plaxiglass.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"Rambro" wrote:
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to do it,
    I was just wondering what Burress' 40 time was.
    Rice ran a 4.51 and he's 6-4 and 202, from yahoo sports he's an inch shorter and 30 lbs less than Burress, if they have identical 40 times I don't see why Rice can't be a #1, maybe if he beefs up a bit he can be, dunno what that would do to his speed though.

Any comments?
    He's only 21. No reason for him not to beef up. In the next 3 years he'll add 15 lbs of muscle easy. If i got paid to work out and play football, i'd be jacked as a mother.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

That's true, I didn't really start putting the weight on till my mid 20s....

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"josdin00" wrote:

In addition I would add will. Burress had the will and desire to do what he had to against defensive corners who often get away with mugging the receivers. He wanted to show that he could be just as physical and did so.He wanted the ball and rose to the occasion. I see a little of that in Sydney.

Sidney needs to physically mature. He, and all the Vikings receivers need to play a physical game against Green Bay if they want to win.

"Sidney brings great size, sure hands and deceptive speed to the recruiting table. On film, it's his ability to catch anything close to him that really stands out. He's also an outstanding downfield blocker, reads coverages well and has tremendous jumping ability."

The above quote was from his pre NFL days. The deceptive speed thing is a bit of a question as his times were not overly impressive. But as I recall, neither were Jerry Rice's times.
    Hopefully he will be one of those guys that can get open despite lack of speed.

Aundre Allison is faster. I think they will both be very good in time.

“What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"josdin00" wrote:

Whoopie sure helped him look like a superhero.
    I like the upside of Rice over Buress.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

michaelmazid is offline Team Alumni

Buress has matured into a bonified number 1 receiver over the years. Its gonna take some time for rice but guys that tall don't necessary have to be that fast.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast