Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Coming off the ledge: Vikings really not that far away from being a good team

"renovikesfan" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    No we are not that far away. But we are still playing sloppy IMO. Of those teams we face with the bad records, how many of then were beaten by good teams and/or were close to being 3-1 or 4-0?

Chicago (1-3), has played the Chargers (1-3), Chiefs (2-2), Cowboys (4-0), and Lions (3-1).
    A combined W/L total of 10-6.
    All three losses were by more than 7, and they got blown out by Dallas.
    The game they won against the Chiefs was by 10.
    Through 4 games, they have 9 INTs, and 6 TDs.

Dallas (4-0), has played the Giants (2-2), Dolphins (0-4), Bears (1-3), and Rams (0-4).
    A combined W/L total of 3-13.
    Three of the wins were blowouts where they scored more than 30, except for the Giants game, where the point margin was 10.
    The Giants, having the best record of all four teams the Boys have played so far, have scored less TDs than their opponents (10-13).

Philadelphia (1-3), has played the Packers (4-0), Redskins (2-1 because of an early bye), Lions (3-1), and Giants (2-2).
    A Combined W/L total of 11-4.
    Philly only had the one blowout win against the Lions, and judging from their follow-up game against the Giants, their score in Detroit could almost be considered a fluke.
    Consider...they only managed 3 points against the Giants' D, McNabb was the top passer with a measly 138 yards, the Giants' Amani Toomer was the top receiver with 58(!) yards, and before Philly's O-line allowed New York to maul McNabb with 12 sacks, the Giants D only had 4 sacks through 3 games...those 12 sacks just got added to the 7 sacks that the Eagles had already given up through their first 3.

San Diego (1-3), has played the Bears (1-3), Patriots (4-0), Packers (4-0), and Chiefs (2-2).
    A combined W/L total of 11-5.
    The only team they won against was the Bears (14-3).
    Their two blowout losses were against the Pats and Chiefs.
    Against the Pats, I can understand...but the Chiefs?
    KC's passing game is only slightly better than ours, but KC still managed to pass for 2 TDs (one other TD came on a fumble recovery)...AT San Diego, too.
    The Chargers' only real bright spot in the game was their running game (sound familiar?), but when they come to the Dome, they're going to be not only shouting to hear each other over the thunderous Vikes fans, but also facing a much better rush D than KC has.

So.....taking all that into account, THAT'S why I think it's possible to pull out 2, maybe even 3 wins, and reach the halfway mark with a 3-5 or 4-4 record, and have something to build on for the next 8 games (which, btw, don't look all that scary, either).

As usual.....JMO.

Looks to me more like the ones with poor records got beat by good teams & Dallas hasn't beat anyone with a winning record.

The 2 games I see us winning are Chicago & San Diego.

Chicago is riddled with injury & the key to winning this game is not turning the ball over to their defense & keeping Hester from returning kicks for a ton of yards/taking one to the house. Something we have surprisingly done well at since pre-season, thanx to Longwell getting more leg under the ball

San Diego seems 1 dimensional to me. Keep LT in check, which are defense is quite capable of doing & we can walk away with a win. Plus we play that game at home.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

Re: Coming off the ledge: Vikings really not that far away from being a good team

"singersp" wrote:
    "renovikesfan" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    No we are not that far away. But we are still playing sloppy IMO. Of those teams we face with the bad records, how many of then were beaten by good teams and/or were close to being 3-1 or 4-0?

Chicago (1-3), has played the Chargers (1-3), Chiefs (2-2), Cowboys (4-0), and Lions (3-1).
    A combined W/L total of 10-6.
    All three losses were by more than 7, and they got blown out by Dallas.
    The game they won against the Chiefs was by 10.
    Through 4 games, they have 9 INTs, and 6 TDs.

Dallas (4-0), has played the Giants (2-2), Dolphins (0-4), Bears (1-3), and Rams (0-4).
    A combined W/L total of 3-13.
    Three of the wins were blowouts where they scored more than 30, except for the Giants game, where the point margin was 10.
    The Giants, having the best record of all four teams the Boys have played so far, have scored less TDs than their opponents (10-13).

Philadelphia (1-3), has played the Packers (4-0), Redskins (2-1 because of an early bye), Lions (3-1), and Giants (2-2).
    A Combined W/L total of 11-4.
    Philly only had the one blowout win against the Lions, and judging from their follow-up game against the Giants, their score in Detroit could almost be considered a fluke.
    Consider...they only managed 3 points against the Giants' D, McNabb was the top passer with a measly 138 yards, the Giants' Amani Toomer was the top receiver with 58(!) yards, and before Philly's O-line allowed New York to maul McNabb with 12 sacks, the Giants D only had 4 sacks through 3 games...those 12 sacks just got added to the 7 sacks that the Eagles had already given up through their first 3.

San Diego (1-3), has played the Bears (1-3), Patriots (4-0), Packers (4-0), and Chiefs (2-2).
    A combined W/L total of 11-5.
    The only team they won against was the Bears (14-3).
    Their two blowout losses were against the Pats and Chiefs.
    Against the Pats, I can understand...but the Chiefs?
    KC's passing game is only slightly better than ours, but KC still managed to pass for 2 TDs (one other TD came on a fumble recovery)...AT San Diego, too.
    The Chargers' only real bright spot in the game was their running game (sound familiar?), but when they come to the Dome, they're going to be not only shouting to hear each other over the thunderous Vikes fans, but also facing a much better rush D than KC has.

So.....taking all that into account, THAT'S why I think it's possible to pull out 2, maybe even 3 wins, and reach the halfway mark with a 3-5 or 4-4 record, and have something to build on for the next 8 games (which, btw, don't look all that scary, either).

As usual.....JMO.

Looks to me more like the ones with poor records got beat by good teams & Dallas hasn't beat anyone with a winning record.

The 2 games I see us winning are Chicago & San Diego.

Chicago is riddled with injury & the key to winning this game is not turning the ball over to their defense & keeping Hester from returning kicks for a ton of yards/taking one to the house. Something we have surprisingly done well at since pre-season, thanx to Longwell getting more leg under the ball

San Diego seems 1 dimensional to me. Keep LT in check, which are defense is quite capable of doing & we can walk away with a win. Plus we play that game at home.
    Agreed...and I also see the Eagles game as being winnable, for the same reasons I gave above.
    The Cowboys game, IMO, is the only one that has the real potential of being a blowout loss.
    We'll just have to hope that some of the kinks and wrinkles get worked out by then, and pray everyone stays healthy.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Coming off the ledge: Vikings really not that far away from being a good tea

This could certainly have been posted right after Childress was hired.

Here is a link to his first press conference and his assessment of how close they were to winning 20 games ago.

http://www.noticias.info/asp/aspComunicados.asp?nid=134017&src=0

Q: Why is this the ideal job?
    A: Because I don't think that they are that far away. I think that personnel lends itself to having success in a hurry.
    Q: Do you plan to continue the West Coast offense?
    A: Yeah, and I think that is overused. I think what West Coast allows you to do is be able to use your talent. Whether it is two tight ends and one back, two wide receivers, or if you feel like you want to stick four wide receivers out on the field I think we have the flexibility to do that.
    Q: Was it frustrating in the past not to be a head coach and do you feel that the timing is right?
    A: Yeah, I am a big believer in things happening for a reason. Just even in some of the jobs I've interviewed in the past as I look. I think this is a great opportunity and I am happy I got this one and not some of the other ones.
    Q: How much of the success from Philadelphia can you bring here?
    A: I plan on using all of it. As I mentioned to you it is a way of doing business every day. It is your day-to-day schedule. Not just on the football field, not just how you play football, but how you go about your business as coaches, assistant coaches and players. How you become a professional. How you spend time at your trade. It doesn't happen by accident that teams get good. The talent level is so close these days that people who are spending extra time at it, spending extra time looking at tape, getting an extra workout or coming in in the morning to get a little cardio. Those things are important and we are paying those guys handsomely to do that. It is a great job. We expect them to take the point in those areas.
    Q: How far away do you think this club is from being a legitimate Super Bowl contender?
    A: I hate to paint that. Everything depends on who comes back, who you re-sign and how these guys interact with us. It is very difficult to get to the Super Bowl, very difficult. With that said, do I think there is talent here? Yeah, I do think there is talent here and I think that we are going to be able to augment that talent. But how far away, I don't know if anybody has a measuring stick. Everybody is trying to measure that. That is what you try to do in the off-season. You say, "What do I need to get there and how do we go about it?" Again, this is not a talent-poor place.
    Q: When this process started did you ever think you would just talk to one team?
    A: I think much the same as these guys, they knew what they were looking for and I knew what I was looking for. In my mind out of these jobs that are open in the NFL this is the plum job in the National Football League, without a doubt, hands down. You can talk to nine out of 10 people and they are going to tell you that. It fit, they showed how committed they are to wanting to win and that is important that they have a passion as well as the people here in Minnesota.

It almost seems like deja vu all over again

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Coming off the ledge: Vikings really not that far away from being a good tea

"singersp" wrote:

I think that depends on Rivers.
    When he is throwing well, they will be very difficult to handle.
    He just hasn't played well so far in the first four weeks.
    Looks like he is playing better today.

duvaldomo is offline Coach

"marstc09" wrote:
    "vikes2456" wrote:
    I do think we are really close to being a top tier football team. My only thing is that we've all said and felt this or how many years now.
    I do not think we are close. We need a QB to lead us. Hopefully TJ will develop.
    LOL? You said you Dont think we are close, but yet you say we just need a QB? 1 position away from being a good football team. Other positions like OL/CB/WR can be improved but its not horrible

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    This could certainly have been posted right after Childress was hired.

Here is a link to his first press conference and his assessment of how close they were to winning 20 games ago.

http://www.noticias.info/asp/aspComunicados.asp?nid=134017&src=0

Q: Why is this the ideal job?
    A: Because I don't think that they are that far away. I think that personnel lends itself to having success in a hurry.
    Q: Do you plan to continue the West Coast offense?
    A: Yeah, and I think that is overused. I think what West Coast allows you to do is be able to use your talent. Whether it is two tight ends and one back, two wide receivers, or if you feel like you want to stick four wide receivers out on the field I think we have the flexibility to do that.
    Q: Was it frustrating in the past not to be a head coach and do you feel that the timing is right?
    A: Yeah, I am a big believer in things happening for a reason. Just even in some of the jobs I've interviewed in the past as I look. I think this is a great opportunity and I am happy I got this one and not some of the other ones.
    Q: How much of the success from Philadelphia can you bring here?
    A: I plan on using all of it. As I mentioned to you it is a way of doing business every day. It is your day-to-day schedule. Not just on the football field, not just how you play football, but how you go about your business as coaches, assistant coaches and players. How you become a professional. How you spend time at your trade. It doesn't happen by accident that teams get good. The talent level is so close these days that people who are spending extra time at it, spending extra time looking at tape, getting an extra workout or coming in in the morning to get a little cardio. Those things are important and we are paying those guys handsomely to do that. It is a great job. We expect them to take the point in those areas.
    Q: How far away do you think this club is from being a legitimate Super Bowl contender?
    A: I hate to paint that. Everything depends on who comes back, who you re-sign and how these guys interact with us. It is very difficult to get to the Super Bowl, very difficult. With that said, do I think there is talent here? Yeah, I do think there is talent here and I think that we are going to be able to augment that talent. But how far away, I don't know if anybody has a measuring stick. Everybody is trying to measure that. That is what you try to do in the off-season. You say, "What do I need to get there and how do we go about it?" Again, this is not a talent-poor place.
    Q: When this process started did you ever think you would just talk to one team?
    A: I think much the same as these guys, they knew what they were looking for and I knew what I was looking for. In my mind out of these jobs that are open in the NFL this is the plum job in the National Football League, without a doubt, hands down. You can talk to nine out of 10 people and they are going to tell you that. It fit, they showed how committed they are to wanting to win and that is important that they have a passion as well as the people here in Minnesota.

It almost seems like deja vu all over again
    I am sure he said all this b4 DC went Mia. (pun intended)

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

All I know is, this team has talent (Peterson, the offensive line, Pat Williams, Kevin Williams, Winfield, Sharper, etc.).

There really is no excuse for this team to be 1-3 and to have lost 11 of the past 14 games.

Coaching is the obvious weak point here.

If Chilly doesn't win 2 or 3 in a row, his seat will become VERY HOT.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456