Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Re: Colts show Vikings how to get a stadium

The one thing that pisses me off the most about this whole stadium issue is how the legislature was all like "Oh, we can't consider building a stadium NOW our bridges are collapsing ZOMG" and then they promptly went and wasted a billion dollars on that WORTHLESS light rail project that will do nothing except cause congestion and decrease the effectiveness of public transportation by slowing down service and decreasing the number of express buses.
    That thing has got "boondoggle" written over every inch of it.
    They're going to build it in the worst possible way, in the worst possible place.
    If you want me to delve into specifics, I'd be happy to oblige.
    For now, I'll just say that in twenty years, there'll be another project intended to fix all the problems the Central Corridor has created.

But nope, we can't build a stadium.
    There's just not enough money for that. :

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"BBQ" wrote:
    The one thing that pisses me off the most about this whole stadium issue is how the legislature was all like "Oh, we can't consider building a stadium NOW our bridges are collapsing ZOMG" and then they promptly went and wasted a billion dollars on that WORTHLESS light rail project that will do nothing except cause congestion and decrease the effectiveness of public transportation by slowing down service and decreasing the number of express buses.
    They're going to build it in the worst possible way, in the worst possible place.
    For now, I'll just say that in twenty years, there'll be another project intended to fix all the problems the Central Corridor has created.

Have any of that real proof other than a truck load of bias?

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

"Schutz" wrote:
    "BBQ" wrote:

Have any of that real proof other than a truck load of bias?
    I've actually been to the University of Minnesota.
    I'm a student - I will be affected by this (though not as much as the people who live in the area).

It is a FACT that bus service will be significantly reduced (including express bus routes, which will get people there FASTER than the light rail route would) and funneled into the light rail route.
    This will slow down and therefore decrease the effectiveness of public transportation.
    Keep in mind that the route is already served by bus routes.
    Thus, the LRT will add MAYBE a couple thousand new riders per day, while decreasing the number of traffic lanes and reducing the speed and efficiency with which public transportation gets you from point A to point B.
    QED.

I'm not against light rail in general - I just think that if your "cost effectiveness" formula tells you that what is CLEARLY the worst possible plan is the best, it's time to change your formula.
    There was plenty of existing right-of-way running parallel to the planned route that they could have used.
    It would have been cheaper, and would ensure that light rail was actually the fastest way to get from Minneapolis to St. Paul.
    Instead, they chose this more expensive plan, because it's sexier to have the train go in front of store fronts.
    (It also benefits all the corporations and lobbyists that help the Met Council so much).

I also don't like the fact that the people living along the future rail line were ignored completely.
    Exhibit A:

[youtube=425,350]BVFwVvPoO-Q[/youtube]

So yes, I do have specific reasons I don't like the light rail.
    I actually LIKED the plan at first until I found out about it.
    So no, I have no bias at all when it comes to this crap.
    I like the idea of public transportation in city centers - this is just a profoundly stupid way to implement it.

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

Fair enough, I was just curious.
    I don't care one way or another since I live in Fargo.
    I just don't know much about the effectiveness of light rail.
    I tried the almighty google but the only site that was really well structured was from the CATO institute and I trust those fellas about as far as I can throw my car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12