Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Colts may fill NFL's L.A. void

By JEFF LEGWOLD
    Staff Writer

At the league meetings in Amelia Island, Fla., this past week NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue dropped the anvil-like hint that every city with both an NFL team and a stadium problem should take quite seriously.

Tagliabue said he would like to choose a site for a new, state-of-the-art stadium in Los Angeles by next May and have that stadium up and running in 2008.

Then he will need a team to put in it.

So, consider the fate of the Indianapolis Colts.

Colts owner Jim Irsay says he's falling a little more behind each day in the league's financial race because he plays in the NFL's smallest stadium — the 55,306-seat RCA Dome. He said he has sold just 40,000 season tickets for 2004 despite last season's 14-5 finish that included a trip to the AFC Championship game.

'From my perspective it's how much longer you can keep putting your own money into a situation with no foreseeable change in the future,' Irsay said.

Irsay dug deep into his own personal wealth to pay Peyton Manning's record $34.5 million signing bonus earlier this year. He is now trying to determine if there is enough long-term interest in his team in Indiana to even begin what will be a decidedly uphill fight for a new stadium.

'The Peyton Manning deal was a good football decision, but it was not a good business decision,' Irsay said. 'When you have a political leadership that is really trying, but the market isn't there, that is the problem.'

And not so coincidentally while the Colts lease at the RCA Dome runs through the 2013 season, Irsay does have an escape clause in 2007. Or just about the time Tagliabue would like a stadium in Los Angeles to be ready.

There are too many TV sets in L.A. for the league not to be there and a new stadium would certainly put the city squarely in the Super Bowl rotation.

And Irsay, without a firm plan for a new stadium in Indy, would be just one of several owners lining up to try to get there.

'I'm 44 now,' Irsay said. 'I don't want to sign (a deal in Indianapolis) until I'm 74 unless we have a strong long-term plan.'

Hopefully this works out so our vikes dont leave !!!!!!!!!!!

Viking_Spirit is offline Star Spokesman

I hope this works out so our Vikes stay in Minnesota!

Guns don t kill people. Chuck Norris kills people.

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Anybody notice how these teams never start up in LA, but that city always gets teams from somewhere else? Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders...now possibly the Colts? People keep talking about how it's the second largest market, but I don't see a lot of diehard fan support for any teams there...even half the Laker fans in the country are from outside LA...why should they get a football team? They used to have two...
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

I know, LA has been a graveyard for NFL teams. I don't see why the NFL wants to keep moving there if the team will just be moved again. Yes, it should be a great market for football, but for some reason it is not.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Why not arizona? They suck and they get like 22 fans at every home game.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Arizona is getting a new stadium soon. They should still be moved!

I'm betting this is mostly an extortion to get the cities whose teams have reason to move to L.A. to cave in to the team's demands.
    Faster than a speeding Grady Jackson! More powerful than a Nick Barnett! Able to leap Ahmad Carroll in a single bound! Look! Up in the sky! It s a bird! It s a plane! It s Jermaine Wiggins!

i hope so jimfly. somebody's gotta kick these politicians in the @ss...
    "ted nugent called. he wants his shirt back."-george clooney, ocean s eleven

I think it's good that the Vikings aren't being babies about the stadium situation even though you could say they're the only ones who deserve a new one (they're the only ones that pay for themselves and they consistently sell out). It burns me up when teams like the Colts or the Cowboys complain that they need a new one when they don't even sell out the old one. And what's worse is they'll probably get one before we do and Pete Prisco will write about how they deserve it because Peyton Manning's a freakin' god or because Dallas is "America's Team"! Sorry, I'm just ranting now, but you guys know what I'm talking about?
    Faster than a speeding Grady Jackson! More powerful than a Nick Barnett! Able to leap Ahmad Carroll in a single bound! Look! Up in the sky! It s a bird! It s a plane! It s Jermaine Wiggins!

packmanxxxi is offline Asst. Coach

"JimFlyinsaucer" wrote:
    I think it's good that the Vikings aren't being babies about the stadium situation even though you could say they're the only ones who deserve a new one (they're the only ones that pay for themselves and they consistently sell out). It burns me up when teams like the Colts or the Cowboys complain that they need a new one when they don't even sell out the old one. And what's worse is they'll probably get one before we do and Pete Prisco will write about how they deserve it because Peyton Manning's a freakin' god or because Dallas is "America's Team"! Sorry, I'm just ranting now, but you guys know what I'm talking about?
    Trust me when I say this, but PAcker fans don't want the Vikings to leave either. But, don't forget that it wasn't until VERY recently that the Vikings have been selling out. IT was just like 4 or 5 years ago that I could walk up to the dome and buy a pretty decent seat for any game other than a Packers game. Just being realistic. And the Cowboys... Im pretty sure they've been sold out longer....
    3 Straight Division Champs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast