Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Coaching Still Lacking

Is it starting again? I know it is the preseason but the coaching decisions are already questionable. my first question is why did the Vikings try to pass on 3rd and 1 on thier own 30 yd line when the running attack was doing ok? Then in the 3rd quarter why did Tice not make the Falcons kick again? It would have moved the ball back five yards and might have set up a better return taking some of the wind out of Atlanta's sails. I have already said the special teams need work. Then there is the inconsistancy of Ellings kick-offs, perhaps Tice needs a second PK for kick-offs so the coverage team can get down field. Then there appears to be alot of penalities and again as last year I am screaming that the coaching is lacking.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

rjkvikings is offline Asst. Coach

Coaching Still Lacking

Man, that pass on 3rd and 1 was just stupid. There were some other problems too. Our special teams was doing horrible!

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Coaching Still Lacking

Without delving, because its late, into it deeper....I will just say that I don't agree it is completely lacking. Tice is a good coach who has taken a team in the throes of mismanagement and terrible accountability from Green's era and turned us into very credible contenders.

In 2 seasons. That's a turnaround we can be proud of, especially when he is a rookie coach. He will get better every game, every season. Put your faith in a hard-nosed coach. He will do the right things, and already has been.

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Coaching Still Lacking

I am willing to give Tice the benefit of the doubt. The main reason is that coaches these days are under a lot more pressure than they used to be to create a winning team sometimes with very limited resources and less dependable backups. The free agency and salary cap may be good for fans and players, but not as good for coaches unless they learn some new management skills.

Anyway I didn't see the game so I can't comment on that, but I think we need to lay off Tice because he really has taken this team a long ways. I have my issues with him, especially his apparent lack of discipline with the team and some of his play calling. But in two years he has taken the Vikings from being one of the worst teams in the league to being serious playoff contenders. How many coaches have done that? John Fox and Bill Parcells. Not many others, that's for sure.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

tdawg0002 is offline Rookie

Coaching Still Lacking

"sdvikefan" wrote:
    I am willing to give Tice the benefit of the doubt. The main reason is that coaches these days are under a lot more pressure than they used to be to create a winning team sometimes with very limited resources and less dependable backups. The free agency and salary cap may be good for fans and players, but not as good for coaches unless they learn some new management skills.

Anyway I didn't see the game so I can't comment on that, but I think we need to lay off Tice because he really has taken this team a long ways. I have my issues with him, especially his apparent lack of discipline with the team and some of his play calling. But in two years he has taken the Vikings from being one of the worst teams in the league to being serious playoff contenders. How many coaches have done that? John Fox and Bill Parcells. Not many others, that's for sure.
    His apparent lack of discipline with the team? Can I ask you what you are referring to? In my opinion, lack of discipline is what Denny Green had with this team. Mike Tice has brought discipline back into this system. I always have been and continue to be a huge fan of Tice. We all make bad decisions from time to time and the 3rd-and-1 call was one of them. If we had had our starters in the whole game, it would've been pretty lopsided.
    Protect our future...Keep your kids out of the reach of any Green Bay Packers.

hawaiianvike21 is offline Team Alumni

Coaching Still Lacking

I think hes trying out some of his plays maybe???? Hey its only preseason, what have you got to lose excpept your star player right??? Im sure he was trying to do something he thought would work and fool the d.

Isint this is what preseason is for, try everything you dont know too much about and make your errors here and not during the regular season? Doesnt bother me unless he keeps it up during the regular season.
    Hupo oe ke kau ana i ka waiupa a ma kou pa o & Hupo na Po o waiupa a

sdvikefan is offline Hall of Famer

Coaching Still Lacking

"tdawg0002" wrote:
    Mike Tice has brought discipline back into this system.
    Not quite. With all the problems we have had with the younger players on the team I think there are still some discipline issues. You're right about Green. But I would like to see Tice crack down more when this kind of crap goes on like DUI's, drug use, fights, etc. If you look at the great coaches in the league, they don't tolerate that kind of stuff.
    "Meet at the quarterback!" -Purple People Eaters

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Coaching Still Lacking

"sdvikefan" wrote:
    "tdawg0002" wrote:
    Mike Tice has brought discipline back into this system.
    Not quite. With all the problems we have had with the younger players on the team I think there are still some discipline issues. You're right about Green. But I would like to see Tice crack down more when this kind of crap goes on like DUI's, drug use, fights, etc. If you look at the great coaches in the league, they don't tolerate that kind of stuff.

Agreed 100%

tlk23 is offline Pro-Bowler

Coaching Still Lacking

Many of the penalties happened in the 2nd half when the third string was in there. The Vikings passed on 3rd and 1 because it is the pre season. In the pre season you try different thing that you wouldn't neccesarily try in the regular season. Does anyone think that they would run a 50 yard pass for Howry? When the games start to count, they will make good decision when going for first downs. Just look at what the 1st string offense did. If they played the whole game against the Falcons 1st string, the Vikings would have won by at least 30 points.

dan3ski is offline Coordinator

Coaching Still Lacking

I must disagree with you tlk23 Mike Tice has stated he wants to win the preseason games to set up the season.
    can we clone Bud Grant?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast