Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Coaching Staff Breakdown

First, let me say that alot of the information for this came from multiple sources like Wiki and team bio pages which I have posted in total for accuracy. If any of it is wrong, blame them.

Of the 23 coaches that make up the staff, there will be eight changes over 2010, including Frazier as the man in charge.

Head Coaching Staff (Mike Singletary is part of this but info is contained in defense portion)

Leslie Frazier
    Head Coach (Record 3-3)
    Eighth head coach in Vikings history
    1988-1996 Trinity College Head Coach
    1997-1998 University of Illinois Defensive Backs
    1999-2002 Philadelphia Eagles Defensive Backs
    2003-2004 Cincinnati Bengals Defensive Coordinator
    2005-2006 Indianapolis Colts Defensive Backs
    2007–2010 Minnesota Vikings Defensive Coordinator
    2008–2010 Minnesota Vikings Assistant Head Coach
    2010–present Minnesota Vikings Head Coach

Coaching career/History
    Frazier started his coaching career in 1988 as the first head coach at Trinity College in Illinois. He held the position for nine seasons, built the NAIA program from the ground up and won a pair of Northern Illinois Intercollegiate Conference titles before he moved on to the University of Illinois in 1997 as the Illinois defensive back's coach.
    In 1999 Frazier joined first time Head Coach Andy Reid as Defensive Backs coach for the Philadelphia Eagles. It was there that Frazier worked as a fellow assistant with the Vikings future Head Coach, Brad Childress. The Eagles defense improved steadily in the four years that Frazier was there.
    He was defensive coordinator of the Cincinnati Bengals from 2003-2004 where he helped turn the unit into a group that increased takeaways from 24 in 2003 to 36 in 2004. The Bengals' 36 takeaways ranked 3rd in the NFL in 2004. The 2004 Bengals notched 20 interceptions, the most since 1996. The Bengals' defense improved from 28th in the league in total yards allowed in 2003 to 19th in 2004, and declined in the two years after he was let loose.
    In 2005, Frazier was hired by Tony Dungy as a defensive assistant for the Indianapolis Colts, receiving the title of Special Assistant to the Head Coach as well as Defensive Backs Coach. He was specifically brought in by Dungy to help the Colts' young corps of defensive backs. During his time in Indy the Colts passing defense improved from 15th in 2005 to 2nd in 2006. On February 4, 2007 the Colts beat Frazier's former team, the Chicago Bears, in Super Bowl XLI. Four days later, on February 8, 2007, he became the defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings following the hiring of Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin by the Pittsburgh Steelers as their head coach.
    On November 22, 2010, the Vikings fired head coach Brad Childress and named Frazier the interim head coach for the remainder of the 2010 season.[4]Frazier ended the 2010 season with a loss to the Detroit Lions, putting the Vikings in last place in the NFC North. Frazier's record in 2010 was 3-3.
    On January 3, 2011, the Vikings and Leslie Frazier reached an agreement making him the permanent head coach.
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    I am still not sure it I am 100% behind this decision. Not because I have anything against coach Frazier as I kindof like him for what he is. Problem is, I just can't get over a few things:

1. His previous track record when it comes to interviewing for other HC'ing positions. Several teams turned him down because he didn't meet their criteria. Question stands, has he fixed those issues or do the Vikings have a different set of criteria from those other teams when it comes to who they want as their their HC.

2. The difference we saw in the defense when he was promoted and Pagac took over. Why was he not able to get that kindof production out of the same defensive players that Pagac had? If he couldn't maximize the potential of those players that are in his area of expertise (defense) why do we think he will be able to get it out of the whole team especially in areas (Offense/ST's) that aren't quite his forte?

3. He was only given a 3 year deal

Long story short, I wish coach Frazier the best. I hope he proves me wrong and really gets the most out of the players he is given but for now, I believe he is nothing more than a bandaid solution that the Wilfs could put on the roster that wouldn't irritate the fanbase or the players. As soon as they get their revenue issues straightened out I think coach Frazier will be let loose.

Dennis Polian
    Assistant to Head Coach
    Coaching career/History
    Entering his 2nd season with the Vikings in 2010, Dennis Polian’s unique breadth of experiences in coaching and administration provides the Vikings staff with a valuable resource. In his debut with the team in 2009, Polian served the staff through special projects, research projects and daily support.
    Polian’s background includes working in professional and collegiate football in a variety of roles. Most recently, Polian was with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League, advancing from Quality Control and coaching the RBs to the role of Assistant General Manager and Coordinator of Player Personnel.
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    I tried to figure out what the hell the words "Unique Breadth fo Expertise" meant. Not alot out there to really quantify this. Hell, I even tried to see if he had some sort of relationship with the Polians that make the Colts so good but couldn't find anything.

Long story short, not sure what the hell this cat does but I hope he does it good.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: Coaching Staff Breakdown

OFFENSE

Bill Musgrave
    Offensive Coordinator
    Coaching career/History
    Oakland Raiders (1997) (Offensive Assistant)
    Philadelphia Eagles (1998) (Offensive Assistant)
    Carolina Panthers (1999) (Quarterbacks Coach)
    Carolina Panthers (2000)(Offensive Coordinator)
    University of Virginia (2001–2002) (Off. Coord./Quarterbacks/Tight Ends Coach)
    Jacksonville Jaguars (2003) (Offensive Coordinator)
    Jacksonville Jaguars (2004) (Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks Coach)
    Washington Redskins (2005) (Quarterbacks Coach)
    Atlanta Falcons (2006–2009) (Quarterbacks Coach)
    Atlanta Falcons (2010) (Assistant Head Coach/Quarterbacks Coach)
    Minnesota Vikings (2011–present) (Offensive Coordinator)

Musgrave joined the Oakland Raiders as a quarterbacks coach for 1997. 1998 placed him with the Philadelphia Eagles, where he was quarterbacks coach under Ray Rhodes, another former 49er assistant. Toward the end of the year, Musgrave was calling plays instead of offensive coordinator Dana Bible. In 1999, Musgrave left to be the quarterbacks coach under George Seifert with the Carolina Panthers, in an arrangement that saw he and Seifert having a heavy hand in calling the plays over offensive coordinator Gil Haskell. Upon Haskell's departure to Seattle, Musgrave was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2000.
    Having enjoyed a favorable relationship with Seifert, doing gameplanning, and helping call plays was a major plus for Musgrave, and a reason the team chose him to replace Haskell, who had been a holdover from a previous staff. However, as an inexperienced coordinator, Musgrave had faltered at times, been criticized in the media for choices in playcalling, and was at one point rumored to have been yelled at by Seifert in front of the team. Musgrave resigned from the position after four games.
    Musgrave accepted the position of offensive coordinator under Al Groh at the University of Virginia in 2001-2002, tutoring Matt Schaub to school records. Musgrave left to be the offensive coordinator for the Jacksonville Jaguars (2003-04), and was released from that position. Since, Musgrave has held the quarterbacks coach position for the Washington Redskins (2005) and Atlanta Falcons (2006-2009).
    In 2010, Bill Musgrave was promoted to Assistant Head Coach/Quarterbacks coach of the Atlanta Falcons.
    Bill Musgrave enters his first season as the Vikings Offensive Coordinator in 2011 with a solid offensive background and impressive on-field results. In his past 6 seasons, Musgrave has been a part of 3 playoff teams and helped Falcons QB Matt Ryan adjust quickly to the pro game, earning 2008 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year honors. While in Atlanta, Musgrave served on the staff with WRs coach George Stewart, who holds the same position with the Vikings.
    A former NFL signal-caller himself, Musgrave was a backup to Joe Montana and Steve Young in San Francisco from 1991-94, working under coaches Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan and Gary Kubiak. Musgrave was a member of the 49ers club that won Super Bowl XXIX over San Diego following the 1994 season. He played from 1995-96 with Denver where he backed up John Elway when Shanahan took over the reins as Broncos head coach.
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    Not sure why anyone would think this guy is a upgrade over Bevs. Looks like we got another QB coach that has done nothing but fail when he had the chance to be a O-coord.

Maybe the promotion he recieved while at Atlanta was a indicator that he has matured a bit and is now ready to be a O-coord at the NFL level. That 14-18 record he had in Jax is a flaw that can't be overlooked.

Having said all that, it appears he will employ pretty much the same offensive scheme the Bevs did under the Chiller with a strong emphasis on running first, second and third as mandated by the HC.

For those of us who like that version of the WCO, this will could be a good thing.

In short, for all of you that were chanting for "Marty Ball" at the end of the year, here ya go. Its coming.

Jeff Davidson
    Offensive Line Coach
    Coaching career/History
    1995 New Orleans Saints (Volunteer Assistant)
    1996 New Orleans Saints (Offensive Assistant)
    1997 New England Patriots (Tight Ends Coach)
    1998-2001 New England Patriots (Assistant Offensive Line Coach)
    2002-2004 New England Patriots (Tight Ends Coach) (Offensive Line Coach)
    2005-2006 Cleveland Browns (Offensive Line Coach)
    2006 Cleveland Browns (Assistant Head Coach) (Offensive Line Coach)
    2006 Cleveland Browns (Assistant Head Coach) (Offensive Coordinator)
    2007-2010 Carolina Panthers (Offensive Coordinator)
    Minnesota Vikings 2011-present (Offensive Line Coach)

Jeff Davidson has made a significant imprint on the Panthers in his three years as offensive coordinator, establishing Carolina as one of the top running teams in the NFL. The Panthers finished third in the league in rushing in consecutive seasons in 2008 and 2009 as Davidson has made running the ball a staple of the offense. However, changes at quarterback have created challenges in the passing game. Only once in Davidson's three years, 2008, has Carolina played the entire season with the same quarterback.
    In 2009, the Panthers set team records with 2,498 rushing yards, 525 rushing attempts and 123 rushing first downs, and Carolina's average of 4.76 yards per attempt and 18 rushing touchdowns stand as the second-most in franchise history. The Panthers did not commit any turnovers in a team-record six games and ended the season by not turning the ball over in a team-record four consecutive games.
    Carolina's offensive accomplishments in 2008 included setting team records with 30 rushing touchdowns, an average gain of 5.96 yards per play and six games gaining at least 400 yards in addition to rushing for 2,437 yards. Also, the Panthers amassed 5,595 yards, tallied 414 points and scored 47 touchdowns, all of which rank as the second-highest totals in team history.
    Change was the constant for Davidson in his first season as Carolina's offensive coordinator in 2007. Four different starting quarterbacks never started more than three consecutive games, but Davidson still coaxed the fourth-best rushing season in team history with 1,824 yards while the Panthers became the first team in 10 years to win at least one game with four different starting quarterbacks.
    Davidson joined the Panthers as offensive coordinator after two seasons in Cleveland that followed a successful eight-year stint with New England. With the Patriots, he contributed to five playoff appearances, four division titles, three conference championships and three Super Bowl wins as the tight ends/assistant offensive line coach from 1997-2004.
    Davidson joined Cleveland in 2005, and his impact was immediate as he molded a unit that helped the Browns end a 20-year drought without a 1,000-yard rusher. Reuben Droughns easily eclipsed that plateau with 1,232 yards behind an offensive line that included three new starters.
    He was promoted to assistant head coach/offensive line coach in 2006, and Davidson's role was expanded after six games when he became Cleveland's offensive coordinator. Despite having to shuffle the offensive line throughout the year because of injuries, he oversaw an offense that featured tight end Kellen Winslow and wide receiver Braylon Edwards, who produced breakthrough seasons with 89 and 61 catches, respectively.
    With New England in 2004, Davidson and offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia worked with a unit that had only three lineup changes all season as the Patriots won Super Bowl XXXIX. The offensive line excelled at run blocking and pass protection as Corey Dillon rushed for 1,635 yards and Tom Brady was sacked only 26 times, sixth fewest in the NFL. Meanwhile, New England's tight ends, under Davidson's tutelage, accounted for 11 touchdowns and nine pass plays of 20 yards or more.
    As tight ends coach in 1997, Davidson helped Ben Coates lead the team with 66 receptions. In 1998, he moved to assist with New England's offensive line for four seasons before adding tight ends to his coaching duties in 2002. The results were immediate as the receiving production for the position more than tripled from the previous year. Then in 2003, the Patriots tight ends again improved their performance by combining for 66 catches and six touchdowns.
    Davidson began his NFL coaching career in 1995 as a volunteer assistant with New Orleans. A year later, he was named offensive assistant, responsible for the breakdown of game tapes, opponent scouting and self scouting in addition to a number of on-field coaching responsibilities.
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    Finally a hire I like. I especially like that he has been given permission to scrap the ZB'ing scheme. Mix that in with the experience that he has had on some reputable staffs and I think we will see an improvement on our OL play.

Problem is, I don't think we will see any big changes when it comes to our OL player personnel. This will be a mistake IMHO as I think Sully was fine in the ZB'ing scheme cause he always had help before they shifted to the next level. In the new scheme he will face alot of one on one match ups. A upgrade at C is probably a need here.

Ryan Silverfield
    Assistant Offensive Line Coach
    Coaching career/History
    Ryan Silverfield is in his 3rd season with the Vikings coaching staff and will work again in 2010 with the defensive linemen and coach Karl Dunbar.
    Prior to joining the Vikings, Silverfield spent 2 seasons at the University of Central Florida where he worked under former Vikings defensive coordinator George O’Leary. In Silverfield’s 2nd season at UCF in 2007, the Knights closed the regular season with a 7-game winning streak en route to winning the Conference USA crown, the 1st conference championship in school history.
    In 2005, Silverfield served as the quarterbacks coach at Jacksonville University. Before working on the Dolphins staff and at the age of 23, he was the head coach at Memorial Day High School in Savannah, GA. That opportunity followed his 4 seasons as an assistant coach at his alma mater - Hampden-Sydney College in Virginia – where he began as an offensive assistant in 2000. At the age of 20, he became the defensive line coach, making him one of the younger position coaches in all of college football. He held that position for 2 seasons before moving to TEs and H-backs in 2003, a season in which the Tigers went 9-1 and had the #1-ranked scoring offense in the country, averaging over 47.0 points per game.
    Silverfield’s coaching career began as an assistant at The Bolles School in Jacksonville in 1999, following a four-year playing career with the Bulldogs. During his playing days, Silverfield helped Bolles win 2 state championships and earn the title of the #1-ranked high school team in the country by USA Today. As a senior, Silverfield was a 1st-Team All-First Coast selection after leading his team to the Florida Class 3A state title.
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    You need to read the first live of his bio real close. He worked with the DL before being shifted to the OL. Not sure if that is a typo but I found it repeatedly throughout the various articles I could find on him.

That might be a good thing when you think about it. If a cat understands the DL, then he should be able to help the OL overcome some of that side of the balls techniques.

For now, I'm undecided on this guy.

James Saxon
    Running Backs Coach
    Coaching career/History
    Saxon has been an NFL assistant for 11 years, including the last three as running backs Coach for the Miami Dolphins. Prior to that, he was in the same role for seven seasons with the Kansas City Chiefs. Eight players he supervised, including Ronnie Brown, Larry Johnson, Tony Richardson and Priest Holmes, went to the Pro Bowl.
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    Another hire I really like. Mostly cause Theenimy is now gone. The rest of my opinion is based on what we have seen him do with the Phins RB's. Lets not forget that they had to use the Wildcat cause the didn't have a QB on the roster worth a darn.

Gonna be fun to watch our backs this year, I think.

Ryan Ficken
    Quality Control-Offense/Running Backs
    Coaching career/History
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    I couldn't find a dang thing on this guy. Lets hope he shuts his mouth and learns from the RB's coach.

Craig Johnson
    Quarterbacks Coach
    Coaching career/History
    • 2011-Present: Quarterbacks, Minnesota Vikings
    • 2009-10: Running Backs, Tennessee Titans
    • 2002-09: Quarterbacks, Tennessee Titans
    • 2000-01: Offensive Assistant/Quality Control, Tennessee Titans
    • 1997-98: Offensive Coordinator, University of Maryland, College Park
    • 1997-99: Quarterbacks, University of Maryland, College Park
    • 1992-96: Quarterbacks, Northwestern University
    • 1989-91: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks, Virginia Military Institute
    • 1986-88: Running Backs, Rutgers University
    • 1985: Assistant Running Backs, Army
    • 1984: Graduate Assistant, University of Arkansas
    • 1983: Graduate Assistant, University of Wyoming
    Prior to the Vikings, he was the quarterbacks coach for the Tennessee Titans for seven seasons, and running backs coach for the last season. Before the Titans, Johnson had coached quarterbacks at various colleges for 10 years. As a coach in the National Football League he has developed an NFL co-MVP (Steve McNair, 2003), an NFL Rookie of the Year (Vince Young, 2006) and helped an accomplished veteran recapture his high level of play (Kerry Collins). The quarterback group has totaled five Pro Bowl invitations during his coaching tenure.
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    A hire, much to my suprise, that I like. I was kindof against him untili I started to do the research.

Comes with a pretty good track record. One thing that I see as an issue is that the QB's he has seemed to do the best with were guys who liked to go deep. That kindof contradicts what Musgrave will be trying to do on the offensive side of the ball with the shorter/quick release throws.

George Stewart
    Wide Receivers Coach
    Coaching career/History
    Stewart got his start in coaching 1983, when he was hired by Coach Holtz as a graduate assistant working the with the Razorback tight ends. In 1984, Holtz was named the head coach at the University of Minnesota and he took Stewart with him as his offensive line coach. The experience gave Stewart his first look at the state where he would return over 20 years later. The Gophers had immediate success and went 7-5 in 1985 and won a bowl game for the first time since 1962.
    Stewart’s final college coaching job was at Notre Dame, where he tutored the linebackers from 1986-88. The Irish capped the 1988 season with a 34-21 Fiesta Bowl victory over West Virginia to finish the year 12-0 and claim the national title.
    Following the 1988 season, Noll gave Stewart his opportunity to jump into NFL coaching, as he served as special teams coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers from 1989-91. It was there that Stewart helped Woodson earn a Pro Bowl berth as a kickoff returner. Following his time at Pittsburgh, Stewart went on to spend four years working with the special teams unit in Tampa Bay.
    The opportunity to work Siefert came next for Stewart as he was a part of the San Francisco 49ers’ success from 1996-2002. During the span, the team advanced to the playoffs five times in seven seasons. While in San Francisco, Stewart coached special teams (1996-99) and the wide receiver (2000-02) group, which included Owens, J.J. Stokes and Tai Streets. Owens made Pro Bowl appearances in three straight seasons (2000-02). Before working with Stewart, Owens’ career-highs for season receptions was 67, a mark he shattered with 97, 93 and 100, respectively, in 2000, ’01 and ’02. Owens set his career-high in receiving yards with 1,451 in 2000 and touchdowns with 16 in 2001. He broke a 50-year-old NFL record when he caught 20 passes for 283 yards against the Bears in 2000 en route to his career-best day.
    In 2003, Stewart joined Reeves as the wide receivers coach for the Atlanta Falcons. During his time in Atlanta, the team won the NFC South title in 2004 and advanced to the NFC Championship game against Philadelphia.
    In 2007, Stewart returned to the state of Minnesota where he remains today as the wide receivers coach for the Vikings. The 2008 season was his 26th in a coaching career that began in Fayetteville, Ark.
    Stewart’s career has been highlighted by a national championship, seven playoff appearances in the last 13 years, two NFC Championship games (San Francisco in 1997 and Atlanta in 2004), and three NFC Division titles in the past seven seasons – 2002 (San Francisco), 2004 (Atlanta), 2008 (Minnesota)
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    Not much to say about coach Stewart. I have always liked what our WR's can/could do based on their experience level. Our guys seem to be ready to run the short to intermediate stuff and are extremely good at blockign down field for the RB's which should fit what they are gonna try to do with the offensive scheme.

Jimmie Johnson
    Coaching career/History
    Tight Ends
    2001 South Carolina State (RB)
    2002 Shaw University (RB/TE)
    2003 Shaw University (OC)
    2004-2005 Texas Southern (OC/QB)
    2006-present Minnesota Vikings (TE)

James Olden Johnson, Jr. (born October 6, 1966 in Augusta, Georgia) is a former professional American football tight end for ten seasons in the National Football League, mainly for the Washington Redskins and the Philadelphia Eagles.
    In 2006, Johnson joined the Minnesota Vikings as the tight ends coach
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    I thought at first, that this would be one of the coaches that would be let loose. Instead, like coach Stewart, I think he was retained because of the "Run First, Run Second, Run Third" mentality that Leslie will employ. Our TE's always have been pretty good blockers first with production in the passing game as a secondary thought mostly reserved for Shanc. I anticipate that will continue.

Overall I kindof like the offensive staff with the exception of possibly Musgrave. Lets hope he is ready to go this time.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

DEFENSE

Fred Pagac
    Defensive Coordinator
    Coaching career/History
    Ohio State Buckeyes (1978–2000)
    Oakland Raiders (2001–2003)
    Kansas City Chiefs (2004–2005)
    Minnesota Vikings (2006–present)

Pagac became a coach for the Ohio State Buckeyes in 1978 and coached there until 2000. He spent time as the teams linebackers coach from 1978 to 1995, defensive coordinator from 1996 to 1999, and assistant head coach in 2000.

In 2001 Pagac was hired by the Oakland Raiders to be the team's linebacker coach, and was there until 2003. From 2004 to 2005 he was the linebackers coach for the Kansas City Chiefs. In 2006 the Minnesota Vikings hired him.

On November 22, 2010, Pagac was named interim defensive coordinator for the Minnesota Vikings, replacing Leslie Frazier who was promoted to interim head coach after the mid-season replacement of Brad Childress. On January 19th, 2011, the interim title was removed and Pagac was named the defensive coordinator of the Minnesota Vikings.
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    I think this cat should have been named to the D-coord position when Tomlin first left. I absolutely loved how the defense came alive under him the short time they were under his control.

Karl Dunbar
    Defensive Line Coach
    Coaching career/History
    1998–1999 Nicholls State (Defensive line)
    2000–2001 Louisiana State (Strength and conditioning)
    2002–2003 Oklahoma State (Defensive line)
    2004 Chicago Bears (Defensive line)
    2005 Louisiana State (Defensive line)
    2006–present Minnesota Vikings (Defensive line)

Dunbar started coaching at the high school level, first at Opelousas (LA ) High, in 1996, before moving to Beau Chene (LA) High in 1997. His return to college football came in 1998-99 at Division I-AA Nicholls State as the defensive line coach.
    In 2000, he started working with the Tigers’ strength and conditioning program, before being hired as defensive line coach by Oklahoma State's Les Miles. At OSU, Dunbar tutored Kevin Williams during his breakout senior season and helped him become the first Cowboys defensive lineman to be a 1st-round draft pick since Leslie O'Neal 17 years earlier.
    Moving on to the NFL, Dunbar was hired by Lovie Smith to guide to Chicago Bears defensive line. He helped tutor a young and talented line that included rookie 1st-round pick Tommie Harris and 2nd-rounder Tank Johnson. The Bears led the NFL in 3rd-down defense, allowing opponents to convert at a 30.5% rate while ranking 15th in the NFL in pass defense. After the 2004 season, Dunbar returned to his alma mater, which had just hired Les Miles as new head coach. In 2005, Dunbar’s linemen paved the way for the Tigers defense to rank #5 in the nation in total defense at 276.8 yards per game and 7th in the country in rushing defense at 94.8 yards per game. The defense also allowed only 15.2 points per game, which ranked 8th in the nation, and led the SEC with 39 team sacks.
    In 2006, Dunbar returned to the NFL, as he was hired by the Vikings' new head coach, Brad Childress. Over the past three years, the Vikings only allowed an average of 68.5 rushing yards per game.
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    I don't even want to talk about this guy. I think they should have jettisoned his ass the same day they did the Chillers.

Diron Reynolds
    Defensive Assistant/Defensive Line
    Coaching career/History
    Diron Reynolds to assist defensive line coach Karl Dunbar. Reynolds spent the 2007 season as the Miami Dolphins defensive line coach but was fired after that season as the team made wholesale changes to its coaching staff. Reynolds, was a defensive quality control coach with the Indianapolis Colts from 2002 to ’06. Reynolds and Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier worked together on the Colts staff in ’05 and ’06.
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    Same comments as Dunbar.

Mike Singletary
    Special Assistant To Head Coach / LBs Coach
    Coaching career/History
    2003-2004 Baltimore Ravens Linebackers Coach
    2005-2008 San Francisco 49ers Assistant head coach/Linebackers coach
    San Francisco 49ers
    2008 Interim head coach San Francisco 49ers
    2009-2010 Head coach San Francisco 49ers
    2011-present Assistant head coach/Linebackers coach Minnesota Vikings
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    Another addition I really like. I think that the stuff he brings to the LB'rs will be second to the advice/help he will be able to give coach Frazier next year.

I for one am finally glad we have a "Ass" for a coach instead of all the "Nice guy" coaches we seem to have gravitated to of late. I hope he lights alot of fires under the LB'rs (who really don't need it) as well as the rest of the defense. I think he and coach Pagac will be a match made in heaven in that regard.

Jeff Imamura
    Quality Control-Defense/Linebackers
    Coaching career/History
    College coach: Texas Christian 1997-99, Northern Arizona 2000-02, Saginaw Valley State 2003. Pro coach: Joined Vikings in 2006.
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    I for one haven't had a bad thing to say about our LB'rs and am glad that coach Imamura was retained. He and coach Singeltary are gonna be a nice pair as they work on the heart of our defense.

Joe Woods
    Defensive Backs
    Coaching career/History
    College coach: Muskingum 1992, Eastern Michigan 1993-94, Northwestern (La.) State 1994, Grand Valley State 1994-96, Kent State 1997, Hofstra 1998-2000, Western Michigan 2001-03. Pro coach: Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2004-05, joined Vikings in 2006.
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    Another coach I am happy that stayed. The job he did with the DB's this year was amazing that was probably missed by most fans who only look for the INT.

I for one want to see what he can do with all his starters back along with the reps/experience the other DB's got this year, we should have a very very nice rotation.

Matt Sheldon
    Coaching career/History
    Assistant Defensive Backs
    1997-2000 University of Wisconsin–Madison (Graduate Assistant)
    2001-2002 St. Louis Rams (Defensive Assistant/Quality Control)
    St. Louis Rams
    2003 (pecial Assistant/Quality Control) St. Louis Rams
    2004 (Special Assistant/Special Teams)St. Louis Rams
    2005 (Special Assistant) Buffalo Bills
    2006-2009 (Linebackers Coach)

Sheldon, who is heading into his 10th season as an NFL assistant, joins the Vikings following 4 seasons coaching LBs with the Buffalo Bills. With Buffalo, the Bills LBs were instrumental to the team ranking No. 2 in the NFL in passing defense, led by MLB Paul Posluszny who emerged as a playmaking force. Prior to his stint in Buffalo, Sheldon spent 2001-05 with the St. Louis Rams, where he assisted on special teams and with the secondary and LBs on defense. Before joining the staff at St. Louis, Sheldon served as a defensive graduate assistant at the University of Wisconsin (1997-99) with the defensive secondary. Wisconsin’s defense led the nation in 1998 and the Badgers were the first team in Big Ten history to win Rose Bowls in consecutive seasons (1998-99). Sheldon played DB for the University of Minnesota after prepping at D.C. Everest High School in Schofield, WI.
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    Another nice hire that surprised me as I did the research. Maybe this is a sign that we will bet a bit more aggressive with our DB's and see even more man that we did last year when coach Pagac took over.

If nothing else, he can take over the ST's effort if that doesn't continue to get better.

Other than the slight issue at the DL coaching staff, I think we are gonna see a bit different look when it comes to the defense this year even though coach Frazier says we will retain the T2 approach.

We have some nice depth at CB, if/when they all get healthy again. Some studs at LB (if they retain Chad/EJ) with a couple nice additions sitting on the bench.

Add a couple of quality DT's to the mix, a LDE if we loose both Ray and Rob and the defense shouldn't miss a beat, even though it was a bit off this year.

I for one, am looking forward to watching this unit play next year.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Mike Priefer
    Special Teams Coordinator
    Coaching career/History
    In Priefer’s first season with the Chiefs, Kansas City led the NFL in net punting with a 39.2-yard average, the second-best mark in team annals. Kansas City had ranked 25th in the league in that category just one year earlier. The Chiefs also led the NFL in both opponent gross punting (40.8 avg.) and opponent net punting (34.4 avg.) in 2006 after ranking 32nd in both categories in 2005. In addition, Priefer is credited with helping P Dustin Colquitt become one of the league’s most consistent players at his position. Colquitt led the NFL in net punting in 2006 and improved his gross average by nearly five yards from his rookie campaign, averaging 44.3 yards per punt last season.
    During his tenure with the Giants, Priefer worked closely with veteran coach Mike Sweatman in coordinating the special teams units. In 2005, K Jay Feely enjoyed his best NFL season when he led the league with a career-high 148 points and WR David Tyree earned his first Pro Bowl selection, becoming the first Giants player to earn an invite to the Pro Bowl as a special teams player since ‘90. Overall, the Giants special teams ranked second in the annual NFL special teams rankings compiled by Rick Gosselin of The Dallas Morning News.
    The 2004 season proved to be successful for the Giants return game as WR Willie Ponder led the NFL with a 26.9-yard kickoff return average and became the first Giants return man to lead the league in that category since DB Clarence Childs in ‘64. In 2003, the N.Y. Giants ranked fourth in the NFL by limiting opponents to a 20.1-yard kickoff return average.
    Priefer entered the NFL coaching ranks as the assistant special teams coach for Jacksonville in 2002. P Chris Hanson enjoyed his best NFL season that year, earning his first Pro Bowl selection after leading the AFC in both gross punting average (44.2) and net punting average (37.6).
    Prior to entering the NFL, Priefer had an eight-year collegiate coaching career where he helped guide the special teams units at four different stops. In addition to his special teams duties, Priefer also coached the defensive tackles for two seasons at Northern Illinois (2000-01). In his first season with the Huskies, Priefer helped current N.Y. Jets WR Justin McCareins earn Mid-American Conference Special Teams Player of the Year honors.
    The Cleveland, Ohio native spent one season at Virginia Military Institute tutoring the inside linebackers in addition to serving as the special teams coordinator in ‘99. Priefer also served two seasons at Youngstown State (’97-98), coaching under current Ohio State head coach Jim Tressel. He tutored the tackles and tight ends along with assisting the special teams units as the Penguins won the NCAA Division I-AA National Championship in ‘97.
    Priefer began his coaching career on the staff at his alma mater, the U.S. Naval Academy where he served in a variety of positions. In ‘94 he worked with the special teams before taking over as defensive coordinator and special teams coach for the junior varsity team in ‘95 and ‘96 in addition to working with the linebackers and defensive line on the varsity squad.
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    I was caught totally off gaurd with this. I wasn't that upset with the job the last guy did. Regardless, there was still room for improvement so maybe this is the guy to get it done.

Chris White
    Assistant Special Teams

Coaching career/History

None – New to coaching.

As player:
    Philadelphia Eagles (2007)*
    Seattle Seahawks (2008*, 2010–present)
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    I wonder what the staff saw in him that caused them to promote him to this level this fast. Most of these cats toil as assistants for free long before they get this chance.

I guess you gotta start someplace. I, for one, wish he would have a bit more experience though.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

When I saw the title I figured it was another lame ass attempt to blame Caine and I for the meltdown of the Childress regime lol.

Personally I think he made a stretch on a few of his choices. I am not sold on the DC or the OC at this time but hopefully he will let them do their thing and sink or swim on their own.

He has a big job ahead of himself trying to resurrect the team and he was left with so many glaring holes in depth that I am not sure he will be able to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089579
    When I saw the title I figured it was another lame ass attempt to blame Caine and I for the meltdown of the Childress regime lol.
    .....snicker.......you'll learn my friend. I will talk about anything and take any stance. If you don't like some of my crap (I know most of it is) shift me to a new subject. I will shift easily. :laugh:

Personally I think he made a stretch on a few of his choices. I am not sold on the DC or the OC at this time but hopefully he will let them do their thing and sink or swim on their own.

He has a big job ahead of himself trying to resurrect the team and he was left with so many glaring holes in depth that I am not sure he will be able to do it.
    I hear ya. I'm not as upset over this group as I was initially (pre research).

I'm excited to see what Pagac can do and am hoping that the promotion Musgrove (my name for him) got while in Atlanta is a sign that he has finally figured things out.

Believe it or not, even coaches have to learn to coach at the next level. Some never get it and some get it but it takes some time. If you have the time, its a very interesting study/research project on current and past coaches from the modern era.

Bump.....Thought this was still relevant, especially now that we are seeing a few articles touting how our schemes are gonna change.

Yutz reporters. Don't have a clue and some are buying into it. :laugh:

For some reason a few of you don't think we can either a) Tell what kindof offense we will run or b) Believe we will see some sort of change in scheme.

Anyways, in conjuction with the info I provided on Musgrove earlier in this thread, I thought I would pull some historical stuff that might help you/us see what kindof offense we might see called by him.

Atlanta Falcons. Well, most point to this, but in essence he was only the QB coach, however, most believe he was hired because of the work he did developing Ryan. In the end, he was charged to develop the QB to fit the scheme.

2010 2009 2008
    Rushing attempts 497 451 560
    Passing attempts 577 570 434
    Sacks 31 28 34
    TOP 32:47:00 29:53:00 31:10:00

Deadskins. Here he was actually the O-coord.
    Rushing attempts 525
    Passing attempts 481
    Sacks 35
    TOP 31:44:00

Jags. Again, the O-coord.
    Rushing attempts 481
    Passing attempts 515
    Sacks 24
    TOP 30:09:00

I took the liberty of pulling the box score/play by play from the first and last games. Key things to note is that very few passes went for more than 15 yards. If you consider that the WR got a few yards YAC, the passes weren't very long or very high risk.

1. 1-10-JAC 4 (12:54) F.Taylor left end to JAX 7 for 3 yards (B.Buckner).
    2. 2-7-JAC 7 (12:15) M.Brunell pass to M.Edwards to JAX 10 for 3 yards (R.Howard, G.Favors).
    3. 3-4-JAC 10 (11:28) F.Taylor left guard to JAX 18 for 8 yards (M.Minter).
    4. 1-10-JAC 18 (10:43) M.Brunell pass to J.Stokes to JAX 20 for 2 yards (T.Cousin).
    5. 2-8-JAC 20 (10:07) M.Brunell pass to L.Toefield to JAX 23 for 3 yards (M.Minter).
    6. 3-5-JAC 23 (9:26) F.Taylor left guard to JAX 26 for 3 yards (B.Buckner).
    7. 4-2-JAC 26 (8:43) C.Hanson punts 48 yards to CAR 26, Center-J.Zelenka. S.Smith to CAR 35 for 9 yards (M.McCree).

1. 1-10-JAC 29 (6:17) M.Brunell up the middle to JAX 24 for -5 yards (K.Jenkins).
    2. 2-15-JAC 24 (5:53) M.Brunell pass to F.Taylor to JAX 29 for 5 yards (D.Morgan).
    3. 3-10-JAC 29 (5:15) (Shotgun) PENALTY on JAX-M.Williams, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at JAX 29 - No Play.
    4. 3-15-JAC 24 (4:54) (Shotgun) M.Brunell sacked at JAX 19 for -5 yards (M.Rucker, K.Jenkins).
    5. 4-20-JAC 19 (4:25) C.Hanson punts 51 yards to CAR 30, Center-J.Zelenka. S.Smith MUFFS catch, and recovers at CAR 23. S.Smith to CAR 47 for 24 yards (E.Westmoreland).

1. 1-10-JAC 20 (2:45) M.Brunell pass to F.Taylor pushed ob at JAX 29 for 9 yards (M.Minter).
    2. 2-1-JAC 29 (2:27) F.Taylor right end to JAX 28 for -1 yards (W.Witherspoon, D.Morgan).
    3. 3-2-JAC 28 (1:44) M.Brunell pass incomplete to K.Brady.
    4. 4-2-JAC 28 (1:39) C.Hanson punts 45 yards to CAR 27, Center-J.Zelenka, fair catch by S.Smith.

1. 1-10-JAC 24 (14:52) M.Brunell pass to F.Taylor to JAX 28 for 4 yards (D.Morgan).
    2. 2-6-JAC 28 (14:52) (Shotgun) PENALTY on JAX-K.Brady, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at JAX 28 - No Play.
    3. 2-11-JAC 23 (13:48) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass to J.Stokes to JAX 31 for 8 yards (T.Cousin).
    4. 3-3-JAC 31 (13:08) M.Brunell pass to M.Hatchette to JAX 37 for 6 yards (T.Cousin).
    5. 1-10-JAC 37 (12:30) M.Brunell Aborted. B.Meester FUMBLES at JAX 37, RECOVERED by CAR-A.Wallace at JAX 31.

1. 2-6-CAR 38 (8:08) M.Brunell pass to K.Brady to CAR 27 for 11 yards (W.Witherspoon).
    2. 1-10-CAR 27 (7:24) M.Brunell pass to F.Taylor to CAR 12 for 15 yards (D.Grant).

1. 1-10-JAC 47 (:29) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass to F.Taylor to CAR 35 for 18 yards (R.Howard; B.Buckner).
    2. Timeout #3 by JAX at 00:16.
    3. 1-10-CAR 35 (:16) (Shotgun) PENALTY on JAX-M.Williams, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at CAR 35 - No Play.
    4. 1-15-CAR 40 (:16) M.Brunell pass to J.Stokes pushed ob at CAR 36 for 4 yards (R.Howard).
    5. 2-11-CAR 36 (:12) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass to J.Stokes pushed ob at CAR 33 for 3 yards (W.Witherspoon).
    6. 3-8-CAR 33 (:08) M.Brunell pass to M.Hatchette for 33 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

1. 1-10-JAC 11 (6:35) M.Brunell pass to B.Meester to JAX 11 for no gain (G.Favors). PENALTY on CAR-D.Morgan, Defensive Pass Interference, 3 yards, enforced at JAX 11 - No Play.
    2. 1-10-JAC 14 (6:14) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 16 for 2 yards (K.Jenkins).
    3. 2-8-JAC 16 (5:35) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 21 for 5 yards (K.Jenkins).
    4. 3-3-JAC 21 (4:51) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete.
    5. 4-3-JAC 21 (4:44) C.Hanson punts 38 yards to CAR 41, Center-J.Zelenka. S.Smith to CAR 43 for 2 yards (M.McCree).

1. 1-10-JAC 21 (14:52) F.Taylor right tackle to JAX 21 for no gain (G.Favors).
    2. 2-10-JAC 21 (14:15) M.Brunell pass to M.Hatchette to JAX 30 for 9 yards (G.Favors). PENALTY on JAX-M.Hatchette, Face Mask (15 Yards), 15 yards, enforced at JAX 30.
    3. 2-16-JAC 15 (13:47) M.Brunell pass to M.Edwards to JAX 19 for 4 yards (R.Howard).
    4. 3-12-JAC 19 (13:13) M.Brunell sacked at JAX 17 for -2 yards (M.Rucker).

1. 1-10-JAC 37 (:10) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass to J.Lewis to CAR 49 for 14 yards (D.Grant).
    2. Timeout #2 by JAX at 00:04.
    3. 1-10-CAR 49 (:04) M.Brunell pass to M.Hatchette ran ob at CAR 37 for 12 yards.
    4. 1-10-CAR 37 (:01) S.Marler 55 yard field goal is BLOCKED (M.Minter), Center-J.Zelenka, Holder-C.Hanson.
    NFL Stats

1. 1-10-JAC 20 (14:54) F.Taylor left tackle to JAX 22 for 2 yards (K.Brooking).
    2. 2-8-JAC 22 (14:18) F.Taylor right tackle to JAX 23 for 1 yard (T.Hall).
    3. 3-7-JAC 23 (13:38) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to J.Smith.
    4. 4-7-JAC 23 (13:32) M.Royals punts 32 yards to ATL 45, Center-J.Zelenka, out of bounds

1. 1-10-JAC 38 (8:37) B.Leftwich pass to T.Edwards to JAX 50 for 12 yards (B.Scott).
    2. 1-10-JAC 50 (8:37) F.Taylor right tackle to ATL 46 for 4 yards (K.Brooking, B.Scott).
    3. 2-6-ATL 46 (8:37) F.Taylor right tackle to ATL 40 for 6 yards (P.Kerney).
    4. 1-10-ATL 40 (6:46) F.Taylor right end to ATL 28 for 12 yards (K.Brooking).
    5. 1-10-ATL 28 (6:05) F.Taylor up the middle to ATL 29 for -1 yards (B.Smith).
    6. 2-11-ATL 29 (5:26) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to L.Toefield to ATL 22 for 7 yards (C.Draft, K.Brooking).
    7. 3-4-ATL 22 (4:42) L.Toefield right end pushed ob at ATL 19 for 3 yards (J.Bolden).
    8. 4-1-ATL 19 (4:26) F.Taylor right tackle to ATL 15 for 4 yards (C.Draft).
    9. 1-10-ATL 15 (3:46) B.Leftwich pass to T.Edwards for 15 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

1. 2-13-JAC 16 (15:00) PENALTY on JAX-K.Brady, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at JAX 16 - No Play.
    2. 2-18-JAC 11 (15:00) B.Leftwich pass to G.Wrighster to JAX 20 for 9 yards (T.McBride, M.Stewart).
    3. 3-9-JAC 20 (14:28) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich up the middle to JAX 35 for 15 yards (B.Scott).
    4. 1-10-JAC 35 (13:48) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to K.Johnson.
    5. 2-10-JAC 35 (13:41) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 40 for 5 yards (C.Draft).
    6. 3-5-JAC 40 (12:58) (Shotgun) PENALTY on JAX-C.Naeole, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at JAX 40 - No Play.
    7. 3-10-JAC 35 (12:31) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to J.Smith.
    8. 4-10-JAC 35 (12:26) M.Royals punts 41 yards to ATL 24, Center-J.Zelenka, downed by JAX-J.Redmond

1. 1-10-JAC 20 (8:50) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 32 for 12 yards (K.Newman).
    2. 1-10-JAC 32 (8:12) B.Leftwich pass to K.Brady pushed ob at JAX 43 for 11 yards (K.Brooking).
    3. 1-10-JAC 43 (7:39) PENALTY on JAX-V.Manuwai, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at JAX 43 - No Play.
    4. 1-15-JAC 38 (7:17) B.Leftwich sacked at JAX 34 for -4 yards (sack split by T.Hall and P.Kerney).
    5. 2-19-JAC 34 (6:42) F.Taylor right end to JAX 48 for 14 yards (K.Brooking).
    6. 3-5-JAC 48 (5:59) B.Leftwich pass to J.Smith pushed ob at ATL 41 for 11 yards (R.Buchanan).
    7. 1-10-ATL 41 (5:28) L.Toefield right tackle to ATL 45 for -4 yards (E.Jasper).
    8. 2-14-ATL 45 (4:50) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to M.Edwards to ATL 38 for 7 yards (C.Draft).
    9. 3-7-ATL 38 (4:09) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to C.Hankton.
    10. 4-7-ATL 38 (4:04) M.Royals punts 38 yards to end zone, Center-J.Zelenka, Touchback.

1. 1-10-JAC 32 (11:16) F.Taylor right tackle to JAX 35 for 3 yards (K.Brooking).
    2. 2-7-JAC 35 (10:44) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 33 for -2 yards (K.Brooking).
    3. 3-9-JAC 33 (10:04) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to T.Edwards.
    4. 4-9-JAC 33 (9:59) M.Royals punts 43 yards to ATL 24, Center-J.Zelenka, out of bounds.

1. 1-10-ATL 42 (7:01) PENALTY on JAX-J.Smith, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at ATL 42 - No Play.
    2. 1-15-ATL 47 (7:01) F.Taylor right tackle to ATL 46 for 1 yard (E.Johnson).
    3. 2-14-ATL 46 (6:26) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to J.Smith to ATL 43 for 3 yards (K.Mathis).
    4. 3-11-ATL 43 (5:44) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to M.Edwards to ATL 31 for 12 yards (K.Brooking).
    5. 1-10-ATL 31 (5:01) F.Taylor left end to ATL 16 for 15 yards (T.McBride).
    6. 1-10-ATL 16 (4:24) F.Taylor right tackle to ATL 12 for 4 yards (K.Brooking).
    7. 2-6-ATL 12 (3:39) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to L.Toefield to ATL 4 for 8 yards (J.Bolden).
    8. 1-4-ATL 4 (3:04) L.Toefield right end for 4 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

1. 1-10-JAC 38 (12:17) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to J.Smith to JAX 49 for 11 yards (K.Brooking, J.Bolden).
    2. 1-10-JAC 49 (11:42) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to G.Wrighster to ATL 49 for 2 yards (T.McBride).
    3. 2-8-ATL 49 (11:06) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to J.Smith.
    4. 3-8-ATL 49 (11:02) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to K.Johnson to ATL 39 for 10 yards (E.Johnson).
    5. 1-10-ATL 39 (10:17) F.Taylor up the middle to ATL 25 for 14 yards (B.Scott).
    6. 1-10-ATL 25 (9:39) B.Leftwich pass to C.Hankton to ATL 12 for 13 yards (T.McBride).
    7. 1-10-ATL 12 (9:07) F.Taylor right tackle to ATL 7 for 5 yards (K.Brooking).
    8. 2-5-ATL 7 (8:31) B.Leftwich up the middle to ATL 7 for no gain (B.Smith).
    9. 3-5-ATL 7 (7:47) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to K.Johnson.
    10. Timeout #1 by JAX at 07:42.
    11. 4-5-ATL 7 (7:42) (Pass formation) PENALTY on JAX-B.Leftwich, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at ATL 7 - No Play.
    12. 4-10-ATL 12 (7:42) S.Marler 30 yard field goal is BLOCKED (J.Bolden), Center-J.Zelenka, Holder-M.Royals.

1. 1-10-JAC 12 (4:16) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 21 for 9 yards (K.Newman).
    2. 2-1-JAC 21 (3:49) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 29 for 8 yards (K.Mathis).
    3. 1-10-JAC 29 (3:12) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to T.Edwards.
    4. 2-10-JAC 29 (3:08) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 32 for 3 yards (E.Jasper).
    5. 3-7-JAC 32 (2:30) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to T.Edwards.
    6. 4-7-JAC 32 (2:24) (Shotgun) PENALTY on ATL-K.Mathis, Defensive Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at JAX 32 - No Play.
    7. 4-2-JAC 37 (2:24) (Shotgun) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 42 for 5 yards (K.Brooking).
    8. 1-10-JAC 42 (2:01) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to G.Wrighster.
    9. Two-Minute Warning
    10. 2-10-JAC 42 (1:58) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to J.Smith to 50 for 8 yards (K.Brooking).
    11. 3-2-ATL 50 (1:38) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to F.Taylor to ATL 29 for 21 yards (B.Scott). PENALTY on JAX-J.Smith, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at ATL 46.
    12. 3-8-JAC 44 (1:29) B.Leftwich pass to L.Toefield to ATL 40 for 16 yards (K.Brooking).
    13. 1-10-ATL 40 (1:05) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to C.Hankton.
    14. 2-10-ATL 40 (1:00) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich right end pushed ob at ATL 22 for 18 yards (K.Mathis).
    15. 1-10-ATL 22 (:51) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to K.Johnson to ATL 19 for 3 yards.
    16. 2-7-ATL 19 (:47) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to C.Hankton.
    17. 3-7-ATL 19 (:42) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to M.Edwards to ATL 14 for 5 yards (B.Scott).
    18. Timeout #2 by JAX at 00:32.
    19. 4-2-ATL 14 (:32) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to G.Wrighster.
    NFL Stats

In short, alot of assumptions on my part, however, based on history and our players, we are not going to see a scheme change. In fact, we are probably going to see a offense much like we saw in 2008, possibly with a little more passing like we saw in 2009 but definately no major scheme change.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091575
    For some reason a few of you don't think we can either a) Tell what kindof offense we will run or b) Believe we will see some sort of change in scheme.

Anyways, in conjuction with the info I provided on Musgrove earlier in this thread, I thought I would pull some historical stuff that might help you/us see what kindof offense we might see called by him.

Atlanta Falcons. Well, most point to this, but in essence he was only the QB coach, however, most believe he was hired because of the work he did developing Ryan. In the end, he was charged to develop the QB to fit the scheme.

2010 2009 2008
    Rushing attempts 497 451 560
    Passing attempts 577 570 434
    Sacks 31 28 34
    TOP 32:47:00 29:53:00 31:10:00

Deadskins. Here he was actually the O-coord.
    Rushing attempts 525
    Passing attempts 481
    Sacks 35
    TOP 31:44:00

Jags. Again, the O-coord.
    Rushing attempts 481
    Passing attempts 515
    Sacks 24
    TOP 30:09:00

I took the liberty of pulling the box score/play by play from the first and last games. Key things to note is that very few passes went for more than 15 yards. If you consider that the WR got a few yards YAC, the passes weren't very long or very high risk.

1. 1-10-JAC 4 (12:54) F.Taylor left end to JAX 7 for 3 yards (B.Buckner).
    2. 2-7-JAC 7 (12:15) M.Brunell pass to M.Edwards to JAX 10 for 3 yards (R.Howard, G.Favors).
    3. 3-4-JAC 10 (11:28) F.Taylor left guard to JAX 18 for 8 yards (M.Minter).
    4. 1-10-JAC 18 (10:43) M.Brunell pass to J.Stokes to JAX 20 for 2 yards (T.Cousin).
    5. 2-8-JAC 20 (10:07) M.Brunell pass to L.Toefield to JAX 23 for 3 yards (M.Minter).
    6. 3-5-JAC 23 (9:26) F.Taylor left guard to JAX 26 for 3 yards (B.Buckner).
    7. 4-2-JAC 26 (8:43) C.Hanson punts 48 yards to CAR 26, Center-J.Zelenka. S.Smith to CAR 35 for 9 yards (M.McCree).

1. 1-10-JAC 29 (6:17) M.Brunell up the middle to JAX 24 for -5 yards (K.Jenkins).
    2. 2-15-JAC 24 (5:53) M.Brunell pass to F.Taylor to JAX 29 for 5 yards (D.Morgan).
    3. 3-10-JAC 29 (5:15) (Shotgun) PENALTY on JAX-M.Williams, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at JAX 29 - No Play.
    4. 3-15-JAC 24 (4:54) (Shotgun) M.Brunell sacked at JAX 19 for -5 yards (M.Rucker, K.Jenkins).
    5. 4-20-JAC 19 (4:25) C.Hanson punts 51 yards to CAR 30, Center-J.Zelenka. S.Smith MUFFS catch, and recovers at CAR 23. S.Smith to CAR 47 for 24 yards (E.Westmoreland).

1. 1-10-JAC 20 (2:45) M.Brunell pass to F.Taylor pushed ob at JAX 29 for 9 yards (M.Minter).
    2. 2-1-JAC 29 (2:27) F.Taylor right end to JAX 28 for -1 yards (W.Witherspoon, D.Morgan).
    3. 3-2-JAC 28 (1:44) M.Brunell pass incomplete to K.Brady.
    4. 4-2-JAC 28 (1:39) C.Hanson punts 45 yards to CAR 27, Center-J.Zelenka, fair catch by S.Smith.

1. 1-10-JAC 24 (14:52) M.Brunell pass to F.Taylor to JAX 28 for 4 yards (D.Morgan).
    2. 2-6-JAC 28 (14:52) (Shotgun) PENALTY on JAX-K.Brady, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at JAX 28 - No Play.
    3. 2-11-JAC 23 (13:48) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass to J.Stokes to JAX 31 for 8 yards (T.Cousin).
    4. 3-3-JAC 31 (13:08) M.Brunell pass to M.Hatchette to JAX 37 for 6 yards (T.Cousin).
    5. 1-10-JAC 37 (12:30) M.Brunell Aborted. B.Meester FUMBLES at JAX 37, RECOVERED by CAR-A.Wallace at JAX 31.

1. 2-6-CAR 38 (8:08) M.Brunell pass to K.Brady to CAR 27 for 11 yards (W.Witherspoon).
    2. 1-10-CAR 27 (7:24) M.Brunell pass to F.Taylor to CAR 12 for 15 yards (D.Grant).

1. 1-10-JAC 47 (:29) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass to F.Taylor to CAR 35 for 18 yards (R.Howard; B.Buckner).
    2. Timeout #3 by JAX at 00:16.
    3. 1-10-CAR 35 (:16) (Shotgun) PENALTY on JAX-M.Williams, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at CAR 35 - No Play.
    4. 1-15-CAR 40 (:16) M.Brunell pass to J.Stokes pushed ob at CAR 36 for 4 yards (R.Howard).
    5. 2-11-CAR 36 (:12) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass to J.Stokes pushed ob at CAR 33 for 3 yards (W.Witherspoon).
    6. 3-8-CAR 33 (:08) M.Brunell pass to M.Hatchette for 33 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

1. 1-10-JAC 11 (6:35) M.Brunell pass to B.Meester to JAX 11 for no gain (G.Favors). PENALTY on CAR-D.Morgan, Defensive Pass Interference, 3 yards, enforced at JAX 11 - No Play.
    2. 1-10-JAC 14 (6:14) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 16 for 2 yards (K.Jenkins).
    3. 2-8-JAC 16 (5:35) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 21 for 5 yards (K.Jenkins).
    4. 3-3-JAC 21 (4:51) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass incomplete.
    5. 4-3-JAC 21 (4:44) C.Hanson punts 38 yards to CAR 41, Center-J.Zelenka. S.Smith to CAR 43 for 2 yards (M.McCree).

1. 1-10-JAC 21 (14:52) F.Taylor right tackle to JAX 21 for no gain (G.Favors).
    2. 2-10-JAC 21 (14:15) M.Brunell pass to M.Hatchette to JAX 30 for 9 yards (G.Favors). PENALTY on JAX-M.Hatchette, Face Mask (15 Yards), 15 yards, enforced at JAX 30.
    3. 2-16-JAC 15 (13:47) M.Brunell pass to M.Edwards to JAX 19 for 4 yards (R.Howard).
    4. 3-12-JAC 19 (13:13) M.Brunell sacked at JAX 17 for -2 yards (M.Rucker).

1. 1-10-JAC 37 (:10) (Shotgun) M.Brunell pass to J.Lewis to CAR 49 for 14 yards (D.Grant).
    2. Timeout #2 by JAX at 00:04.
    3. 1-10-CAR 49 (:04) M.Brunell pass to M.Hatchette ran ob at CAR 37 for 12 yards.
    4. 1-10-CAR 37 (:01) S.Marler 55 yard field goal is BLOCKED (M.Minter), Center-J.Zelenka, Holder-C.Hanson.
    NFL Stats

1. 1-10-JAC 20 (14:54) F.Taylor left tackle to JAX 22 for 2 yards (K.Brooking).
    2. 2-8-JAC 22 (14:18) F.Taylor right tackle to JAX 23 for 1 yard (T.Hall).
    3. 3-7-JAC 23 (13:38) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to J.Smith.
    4. 4-7-JAC 23 (13:32) M.Royals punts 32 yards to ATL 45, Center-J.Zelenka, out of bounds

1. 1-10-JAC 38 (8:37) B.Leftwich pass to T.Edwards to JAX 50 for 12 yards (B.Scott).
    2. 1-10-JAC 50 (8:37) F.Taylor right tackle to ATL 46 for 4 yards (K.Brooking, B.Scott).
    3. 2-6-ATL 46 (8:37) F.Taylor right tackle to ATL 40 for 6 yards (P.Kerney).
    4. 1-10-ATL 40 (6:46) F.Taylor right end to ATL 28 for 12 yards (K.Brooking).
    5. 1-10-ATL 28 (6:05) F.Taylor up the middle to ATL 29 for -1 yards (B.Smith).
    6. 2-11-ATL 29 (5:26) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to L.Toefield to ATL 22 for 7 yards (C.Draft, K.Brooking).
    7. 3-4-ATL 22 (4:42) L.Toefield right end pushed ob at ATL 19 for 3 yards (J.Bolden).
    8. 4-1-ATL 19 (4:26) F.Taylor right tackle to ATL 15 for 4 yards (C.Draft).
    9. 1-10-ATL 15 (3:46) B.Leftwich pass to T.Edwards for 15 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

1. 2-13-JAC 16 (15:00) PENALTY on JAX-K.Brady, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at JAX 16 - No Play.
    2. 2-18-JAC 11 (15:00) B.Leftwich pass to G.Wrighster to JAX 20 for 9 yards (T.McBride, M.Stewart).
    3. 3-9-JAC 20 (14:28) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich up the middle to JAX 35 for 15 yards (B.Scott).
    4. 1-10-JAC 35 (13:48) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to K.Johnson.
    5. 2-10-JAC 35 (13:41) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 40 for 5 yards (C.Draft).
    6. 3-5-JAC 40 (12:58) (Shotgun) PENALTY on JAX-C.Naeole, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at JAX 40 - No Play.
    7. 3-10-JAC 35 (12:31) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to J.Smith.
    8. 4-10-JAC 35 (12:26) M.Royals punts 41 yards to ATL 24, Center-J.Zelenka, downed by JAX-J.Redmond

1. 1-10-JAC 20 (8:50) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 32 for 12 yards (K.Newman).
    2. 1-10-JAC 32 (8:12) B.Leftwich pass to K.Brady pushed ob at JAX 43 for 11 yards (K.Brooking).
    3. 1-10-JAC 43 (7:39) PENALTY on JAX-V.Manuwai, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at JAX 43 - No Play.
    4. 1-15-JAC 38 (7:17) B.Leftwich sacked at JAX 34 for -4 yards (sack split by T.Hall and P.Kerney).
    5. 2-19-JAC 34 (6:42) F.Taylor right end to JAX 48 for 14 yards (K.Brooking).
    6. 3-5-JAC 48 (5:59) B.Leftwich pass to J.Smith pushed ob at ATL 41 for 11 yards (R.Buchanan).
    7. 1-10-ATL 41 (5:28) L.Toefield right tackle to ATL 45 for -4 yards (E.Jasper).
    8. 2-14-ATL 45 (4:50) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to M.Edwards to ATL 38 for 7 yards (C.Draft).
    9. 3-7-ATL 38 (4:09) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to C.Hankton.
    10. 4-7-ATL 38 (4:04) M.Royals punts 38 yards to end zone, Center-J.Zelenka, Touchback.

1. 1-10-JAC 32 (11:16) F.Taylor right tackle to JAX 35 for 3 yards (K.Brooking).
    2. 2-7-JAC 35 (10:44) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 33 for -2 yards (K.Brooking).
    3. 3-9-JAC 33 (10:04) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to T.Edwards.
    4. 4-9-JAC 33 (9:59) M.Royals punts 43 yards to ATL 24, Center-J.Zelenka, out of bounds.

1. 1-10-ATL 42 (7:01) PENALTY on JAX-J.Smith, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at ATL 42 - No Play.
    2. 1-15-ATL 47 (7:01) F.Taylor right tackle to ATL 46 for 1 yard (E.Johnson).
    3. 2-14-ATL 46 (6:26) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to J.Smith to ATL 43 for 3 yards (K.Mathis).
    4. 3-11-ATL 43 (5:44) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to M.Edwards to ATL 31 for 12 yards (K.Brooking).
    5. 1-10-ATL 31 (5:01) F.Taylor left end to ATL 16 for 15 yards (T.McBride).
    6. 1-10-ATL 16 (4:24) F.Taylor right tackle to ATL 12 for 4 yards (K.Brooking).
    7. 2-6-ATL 12 (3:39) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to L.Toefield to ATL 4 for 8 yards (J.Bolden).
    8. 1-4-ATL 4 (3:04) L.Toefield right end for 4 yards, TOUCHDOWN.

1. 1-10-JAC 38 (12:17) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to J.Smith to JAX 49 for 11 yards (K.Brooking, J.Bolden).
    2. 1-10-JAC 49 (11:42) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to G.Wrighster to ATL 49 for 2 yards (T.McBride).
    3. 2-8-ATL 49 (11:06) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to J.Smith.
    4. 3-8-ATL 49 (11:02) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to K.Johnson to ATL 39 for 10 yards (E.Johnson).
    5. 1-10-ATL 39 (10:17) F.Taylor up the middle to ATL 25 for 14 yards (B.Scott).
    6. 1-10-ATL 25 (9:39) B.Leftwich pass to C.Hankton to ATL 12 for 13 yards (T.McBride).
    7. 1-10-ATL 12 (9:07) F.Taylor right tackle to ATL 7 for 5 yards (K.Brooking).
    8. 2-5-ATL 7 (8:31) B.Leftwich up the middle to ATL 7 for no gain (B.Smith).
    9. 3-5-ATL 7 (7:47) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to K.Johnson.
    10. Timeout #1 by JAX at 07:42.
    11. 4-5-ATL 7 (7:42) (Pass formation) PENALTY on JAX-B.Leftwich, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at ATL 7 - No Play.
    12. 4-10-ATL 12 (7:42) S.Marler 30 yard field goal is BLOCKED (J.Bolden), Center-J.Zelenka, Holder-M.Royals.

1. 1-10-JAC 12 (4:16) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 21 for 9 yards (K.Newman).
    2. 2-1-JAC 21 (3:49) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 29 for 8 yards (K.Mathis).
    3. 1-10-JAC 29 (3:12) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to T.Edwards.
    4. 2-10-JAC 29 (3:08) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 32 for 3 yards (E.Jasper).
    5. 3-7-JAC 32 (2:30) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to T.Edwards.
    6. 4-7-JAC 32 (2:24) (Shotgun) PENALTY on ATL-K.Mathis, Defensive Delay of Game, 5 yards, enforced at JAX 32 - No Play.
    7. 4-2-JAC 37 (2:24) (Shotgun) F.Taylor up the middle to JAX 42 for 5 yards (K.Brooking).
    8. 1-10-JAC 42 (2:01) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to G.Wrighster.
    9. Two-Minute Warning
    10. 2-10-JAC 42 (1:58) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to J.Smith to 50 for 8 yards (K.Brooking).
    11. 3-2-ATL 50 (1:38) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to F.Taylor to ATL 29 for 21 yards (B.Scott). PENALTY on JAX-J.Smith, Illegal Block Above the Waist, 10 yards, enforced at ATL 46.
    12. 3-8-JAC 44 (1:29) B.Leftwich pass to L.Toefield to ATL 40 for 16 yards (K.Brooking).
    13. 1-10-ATL 40 (1:05) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to C.Hankton.
    14. 2-10-ATL 40 (1:00) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich right end pushed ob at ATL 22 for 18 yards (K.Mathis).
    15. 1-10-ATL 22 (:51) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to K.Johnson to ATL 19 for 3 yards.
    16. 2-7-ATL 19 (:47) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to C.Hankton.
    17. 3-7-ATL 19 (:42) (Shotgun) B.Leftwich pass to M.Edwards to ATL 14 for 5 yards (B.Scott).
    18. Timeout #2 by JAX at 00:32.
    19. 4-2-ATL 14 (:32) B.Leftwich pass incomplete to G.Wrighster.
    NFL Stats

In short, alot of assumptions on my part, however, based on history and our players, we are not going to see a scheme change. In fact, we are probably going to see a offense much like we saw in 2008, possibly with a little more passing like we saw in 2009 but definately no major scheme change.
    I will say this much.

If the offense looks anything remotely similar to what they put us through in 2008 they might as well just fire the whole damn staff right now.

On the rest of it I will just have to agree to disagree with you because everything that I have seen from the coaches leads me to believe they will git the scheme to the talent and we don't even know if 1/2 the starters on offense will be starting this year.

:huh: Just thought I'd throw out an update to this with respect to our new OL coach, that was pointed out to me by our good friend Cajun.

(on a side note, he and I have some pretty good discussions in the PM box. Sure wish the cat would get back to being active in the forums again)

Anyway, the ref he gave, from our good friends at Wiki....

The Carolina Panthers made the switch to zone blocking under offensive coordinator Jeff Davidson for the 2007 season. They had previously employed a man-blocking scheme for a downhill running attack under coordinator Dan Henning, but during the 2006 season, the team's undersized linemen were consistently overpowered by opposing defensive linemen. The power running game became stagnant, and especially ineffective in goal-line/short yardage situations, thus resulting in Henning's firing and the switch to zone blocking. Thanks in part to the Zone Blocking schemes implemented, the Panthers saw their 2008 characterised by the running of DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart to great effect, gaining them play off status, and also saw the emergence of rookie Steve Slaton at the Houston Texans under their new Alex Gibbs-designed zone blocking scheme.
    Zone Blocking Scheme

I wonder why they would hire a guy who's forte seems to be the ZB scheme only to tell him not to run it? :dry:

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1089560
    OFFENSE

Jeff Davidson
    Offensive Line Coach
    Coaching career/History
    1995 New Orleans Saints (Volunteer Assistant)
    1996 New Orleans Saints (Offensive Assistant)
    1997 New England Patriots (Tight Ends Coach)
    1998-2001 New England Patriots (Assistant Offensive Line Coach)
    2002-2004 New England Patriots (Tight Ends Coach) (Offensive Line Coach)
    2005-2006 Cleveland Browns (Offensive Line Coach)
    2006 Cleveland Browns (Assistant Head Coach) (Offensive Line Coach)
    2006 Cleveland Browns (Assistant Head Coach) (Offensive Coordinator)
    2007-2010 Carolina Panthers (Offensive Coordinator)
    Minnesota Vikings 2011-present (Offensive Line Coach)

Jeff Davidson has made a significant imprint on the Panthers in his three years as offensive coordinator, establishing Carolina as one of the top running teams in the NFL. The Panthers finished third in the league in rushing in consecutive seasons in 2008 and 2009 as Davidson has made running the ball a staple of the offense. However, changes at quarterback have created challenges in the passing game. Only once in Davidson's three years, 2008, has Carolina played the entire season with the same quarterback.
    In 2009, the Panthers set team records with 2,498 rushing yards, 525 rushing attempts and 123 rushing first downs, and Carolina's average of 4.76 yards per attempt and 18 rushing touchdowns stand as the second-most in franchise history. The Panthers did not commit any turnovers in a team-record six games and ended the season by not turning the ball over in a team-record four consecutive games.
    Carolina's offensive accomplishments in 2008 included setting team records with 30 rushing touchdowns, an average gain of 5.96 yards per play and six games gaining at least 400 yards in addition to rushing for 2,437 yards. Also, the Panthers amassed 5,595 yards, tallied 414 points and scored 47 touchdowns, all of which rank as the second-highest totals in team history.
    Change was the constant for Davidson in his first season as Carolina's offensive coordinator in 2007. Four different starting quarterbacks never started more than three consecutive games, but Davidson still coaxed the fourth-best rushing season in team history with 1,824 yards while the Panthers became the first team in 10 years to win at least one game with four different starting quarterbacks.
    Davidson joined the Panthers as offensive coordinator after two seasons in Cleveland that followed a successful eight-year stint with New England. With the Patriots, he contributed to five playoff appearances, four division titles, three conference championships and three Super Bowl wins as the tight ends/assistant offensive line coach from 1997-2004.
    Davidson joined Cleveland in 2005, and his impact was immediate as he molded a unit that helped the Browns end a 20-year drought without a 1,000-yard rusher. Reuben Droughns easily eclipsed that plateau with 1,232 yards behind an offensive line that included three new starters.
    He was promoted to assistant head coach/offensive line coach in 2006, and Davidson's role was expanded after six games when he became Cleveland's offensive coordinator. Despite having to shuffle the offensive line throughout the year because of injuries, he oversaw an offense that featured tight end Kellen Winslow and wide receiver Braylon Edwards, who produced breakthrough seasons with 89 and 61 catches, respectively.
    With New England in 2004, Davidson and offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia worked with a unit that had only three lineup changes all season as the Patriots won Super Bowl XXXIX. The offensive line excelled at run blocking and pass protection as Corey Dillon rushed for 1,635 yards and Tom Brady was sacked only 26 times, sixth fewest in the NFL. Meanwhile, New England's tight ends, under Davidson's tutelage, accounted for 11 touchdowns and nine pass plays of 20 yards or more.
    As tight ends coach in 1997, Davidson helped Ben Coates lead the team with 66 receptions. In 1998, he moved to assist with New England's offensive line for four seasons before adding tight ends to his coaching duties in 2002. The results were immediate as the receiving production for the position more than tripled from the previous year. Then in 2003, the Patriots tight ends again improved their performance by combining for 66 catches and six touchdowns.
    Davidson began his NFL coaching career in 1995 as a volunteer assistant with New Orleans. A year later, he was named offensive assistant, responsible for the breakdown of game tapes, opponent scouting and self scouting in addition to a number of on-field coaching responsibilities.
    Marrdro's thoughts:
    Finally a hire I like. I especially like that he has been given permission to scrap the ZB'ing scheme. Mix that in with the experience that he has had on some reputable staffs and I think we will see an improvement on our OL play.

Problem is, I don't think we will see any big changes when it comes to our OL player personnel. This will be a mistake IMHO as I think Sully was fine in the ZB'ing scheme cause he always had help before they shifted to the next level. In the new scheme he will face alot of one on one match ups. A upgrade at C is probably a need here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast