Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    I have no idea who we should get... We were talking about this at the vikings bar last night... with that said, I think we definitely need an offensive minded head coach... we will need a D-coordinator that will bring new ideas into the fold...

No college coaches though... Unless he was a head coach in the NFL, left and had a successful program, then comes back.. LIke Pete Carroll did... too bad there's not too many of those guys...

Can we bring in Bill Parcels as a consultant..?

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Not in favor of a college guy- just too many failures have come from those ranks. The NFL is an entirely different game and the players aren't kids just out of high school. We either need a coach that's done it in the NFL or a coordinator that has had solid success and is hungry for his shot. Coaching is only part of it. He needs to be a manager, an organizer, and be media savvy as well. Frazier exhibits none of these characteristics and probably would be better off as a DC.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    I just want to see a coach with fire in the belly, someone with energy and the ability to get our players to play competently. It would be nice to get a Big Tuna type coach, but I really don't care anymore.

We just need someone to bring out the best in our players, and have a competent gameplan.
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    Not in favor of a college guy- just too many failures have come from those ranks. The NFL is an entirely different game and the players aren't kids just out of high school. We either need a coach that's done it in the NFL or a coordinator that has had solid success and is hungry for his shot. Coaching is only part of it. He needs to be a manager, an organizer, and be media savvy as well. Frazier exhibits none of these characteristics and probably would be better off as a DC.
    That is true about many college coaches not working out, but I would guess that statement is pretty true for any first time coach. Coaches are kind of like QB's, hard to predict who is going to be good at the NFL level until they actually show it. Also, there are only a handful of elite coaches much like QB's and they are nearly impossible to remove from their current clubs. If the elite coaches aren't available, then you have the choice at taking a chance on a first time guy (whether a coordinator or college guy) or grab a veteran guy that has shown success in the past but has decided to walk away or was relieved of his duties.

If you choose a veteran guy who has been away for a while, you risk the chance that the game has evolved past them and it may be hard for them to come back and have success. If you choose the first time coach route, then much like picking a QB, you better have a staff that can identify and develop the talent. So far the ownership group is 0-2.

The natural next step for the ownership group is to turn over the HC decision to the GM. Assuming this is a possibility, then is Spielman capable of making this hire? Is the ownership group qualified of making the determination of whether Spielman is qualified.... What you and I think is irrelevant. The only vote we have is with our wallet.

Hard to feel real confident that we will get it right next time and as bad as this year is going, I hope we don't do anything rash and try stop gap measures. Like we have been trying to do with the QB position.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Rob Ryan for HC/Def Guru. And then hire a non-WCO offensive mind to run the offense.

=Z=
    What? Have you paid attention to Rob Ryan's career?

2007 - Oakland Raiders DC: ranked 22nd
    2008 - Oakland Raiders DC: ranked 27th
    2009 - Cleveland Browns DC: ranked 31st
    2010 - Cleveland Browns DC: ranked 22nd
    2011 - Dallas Cowboys DC: ranked 14th
    2012 - Dallas Cowboys DC: ranked 19th

He's having a decent year in New Orleans... but they haven't really beaten any good teams: Atlanta (vastly overrated), Bucs, Cardinals, Dolphins, and the Bears. No real marquee names in that bunch.

Please, can we aim a bit higher than Rob Ryan? He's Buddy Ryan's son, that is it.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

drewlovs is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    What? Have you paid attention to Rob Ryan's career?

2007 - Oakland Raiders DC: ranked 22nd
    2009 - Cleveland Browns DC: ranked 31st
    2011 - Dallas Cowboys DC: ranked 14th

He's having a decent year in New Orleans... but they haven't really beaten any good teams: Atlanta (vastly overrated), Bucs, Cardinals, Dolphins, and the Bears. No real marquee names in that bunch.

Please, can we aim a bit higher than Rob Ryan? He's Buddy Ryan's son, that is it.
    I'm asking out of sheer ignorance...were these improvements over what was there when he took over?
    Men are moved by two levers only: fear and self interest.

~Napoleon Bonaparte on Politics

Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    Hire the right GM and he will hire the right coach. Wilfs need to back off.
    DING DING DING!!! WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!

I've been saying that since Zygi bought the team...hopefully now they'll actually DO it...

I doubt it though.

I wouldn't mind Chucky...I think he'd spark the team. I know he prepares like a madman.

After that, I'm real leary of the current crop of Coordinators and NCAA guys. But, right now, a cardboard cut out would be better than frazier.

Caine

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by drewlovs View Post
    I'm asking out of sheer ignorance...were these improvements over what was there when he took over?
    Well... he lost both jobs after a couple of years, so it couldn't have been too good. Here's the breakdown though.

2007 - Oakland Raiders DC: ranked 22nd (was ranked 3rd 2006 - Ryan was coach in 2006)
    2009 - Cleveland Browns DC: ranked 31st (was ranked 26th in 2008)
    2011 - Dallas Cowboys DC: ranked 14th (was ranked was 23rd in 2010)

Not really much of an improvement/difference when Ryan became coach... although, he was the coach of the 3rd best defense in 2006, that didn't last long. He hasn't cracked the top 10 defenses since then.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

kyleburkle is offline Rookie
    bring back mike tice thats were zygi went wrong
    tice was the man
    he won games with daunte culpepper nobody else could win a game with that guy
    None

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by kyleburkle View Post
    bring back mike tice thats were zygi went wrong
    tice was the man
    he won games with daunte culpepper nobody else could win a game with that guy
    Tice: 32-33 (49%)
    Childress: 39-35 (53%)
    Frazier: 17-27 (39%)

Here's a sobering one;

Cheap-Ass Red McCombs: 64-48 (57%)
    Deep Pockets Wilf: 65-69 (49%)

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast