Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: The coaches.....who should be kept/dumped?

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1085891
    Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1085565
    Maybe we should hire that Brad Childress guy...after all, Andy Reid says he's great.

How bad could he be?

:laugh:
    We do need a QB guru.

Funny thing though, a year ago when we were 12-4, many people here were saying how great he was.
    Not me. I was saying he should be shitcanned in the second season and I took a lot of flack for saying it last year but I still contend a better coach would have been able to win the SB with that team instead of pulling up lame in the semi finals.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1085919
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1085913
    Keep Frazier, the players like and respect him, he's won as a player and a coach.

Mike Singletary was just fired, new defensive coordinator perhaps? He and Frazier played together on the 85 Bears team. Could be an interesting fit.
    Will Singletary have to wear pants?

I still like the idea of a GM building the staff, but what you are suggesting sounds very interesting and appealing.
    I am right there with you. Get a GM and let them make the decisions.

I am wondering if we could tap Kevin Greene to be our next DC. That would put a dent in the packers coaching staff and I think he would have the defense ready to go full tilt every play.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1086252
    Maybe we should hire that Brad Childress guy...after all, Andy Reid says he's great.

How bad could he be?

We do need a QB guru.

Funny thing though, a year ago when we were 12-4, many people here were saying how great he was.
    Not me. I was saying he should be shitcanned in the second season and I took a lot of flack for saying it last year but I still contend a better coach would have been able to win the SB with that team instead of pulling up lame in the semi finals.
    I do not know who was saying Childress was great, but it certainly was not me.

Brad Childress is like Captain Herbert Sobel in Band of Brothers. He is a capable guy in logistics and training, but his leadership and battlefield expertise are questionable. His people skills are similar as well, and that hurt his reputation with reporters, fans, and players.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Minniman" #1086395

How bad could he be?

We do need a QB guru.

Brad Childress is like Captain Herbert Sobel in Band of Brothers. He is a capable guy in logistics and training, but his leadership and battlefield expertise are questionable. His people skills are similar as well, and that hurt his reputation with reporters, fans, and players.
    I used to think he was pretty good at that too but I don't even think that is the case any more. I do think he is a good guy and a very smart guy but that just might not be enough to be a successful HC.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1086397
    Quote Originally Posted by "Minniman" #1086395

How bad could he be?

We do need a QB guru.

I used to think he was pretty good at that too but I don't even think that is the case any more. I do think he is a good guy and a very smart guy but that just might not be enough to be a successful HC.
    He knows what to do, as in how to set up camp, weekly drills, playbooks and stuff like that, but I do not really believe he is a great mind for innovation or modification of schemes. His playbooks are WCO, but his gameplan is Power I run. I just do not see WCO theory being used for breakthrough and exploitation of the defense. In that, I agree.

I do not agree with most fans who say they could do a better job. Being a head coach, especially at the NFL level, is a demanding job that requires a lot of coaching experience. Brad Childress could do the basics, and that is more than a lot of fans could really do.

For those of us who have either coached or are students of the game in depth, see his weaknesses, but that does not mean Childress is either an idiot or a bad coach overall. I believe he is a college coach that stepped a bit beyond his current capabilities. The Peter Principle is at play here.

keystonevike is offline Starter

Get rid of Bevell.

Blog Entries

"Minniman" #1086401]
    He knows what to do, as in how to set up camp, weekly drills, playbooks and stuff like that, but I do not really believe he is a great mind for innovation or modification of schemes. His playbooks are WCO, but his gameplan is Power I run. I just do not see WCO theory being used for breakthrough and exploitation of the defense. In that, I agree.
    Actually if his playbook had been Power I run I think we could have had a championship by now but I don't remember too many power I formations being called,especially after Richardson departed. His Achilles was that he was a master of making complicated what could have been simple. He would use multiple personnel packages to run one play instead of using one personnel package to run multiple plays. IMHO that could have worked well if we had personnel that was there consistently so that they could have built chemistry with one another but we have a had a turnstile at too many positions on offense and in the end it produced a unit that was prone to execution errors and penalties.

That gets to the base core of coaching philosophy and IMHO why he came up short.

I do not agree with most fans who say they could do a better job. Being a head coach, especially at the NFL level, is a demanding job that requires a lot of coaching experience. Brad Childress could do the basics, and that is more than a lot of fans could really do.
    I am not sure many seriously think they could do a better job than him. Their measuring stick is how well he does in comparison to other coaches that he competes against and it seems to me by using that standard he did not fare too well.

For those of us who have either coached or are students of the game in depth, see his weaknesses, but that does not mean Childress is either an idiot or a bad coach overall. I believe he is a college coach that stepped a bit beyond his current capabilities. The Peter Principle is at play here.
    I am not convinced you need to be a coach to know whether he is a good coach. I am not a mechanic but I can tell if my car is not running smoothly after a tune up that maybe something was not done right.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Starting from scratch is not the best option IMO; especially given the lack of a CBA, and the fact that many other Teams are searching for coaches too, and, given a lack of QB, this is not exactly a vacation destination for Gruden, Cowher, Harbaugh, or Fox. Now, please don't mistake that comment as a hands down, rousing endorsement (as if it matters anyway) for Frazier. I would love to have a big name HC...But, given the factors of the time, he is probably the Wilf's best option for HC, especially also factoring in that our 3 Division foes all have the QB position locked up for many, many years to come. My hope would be that Frazier would take a hard look at the entire coaching staff and make some changes.

Case in point...remember a guy named Mike Tice? He is the OLine Coach of the Bears. Well, there are some on Sirius radio (Pat Kirwan, Tim Ryan, Alex Marvez, Jim Miller) that believe he should be the Asst Coach of the Year. Reason being...he has taken a weakness and turned it into a strength through the course of the Year. The Bears have run the ball more the last 9 games than any other Team in the NFL. Sure, lot's of factors...like, they are probably in the lead more, great defense, etc., but, that offensive line sucked at the beginning of the year and they don't now. Coaches make a difference, and our DLine underperformed for the majority of the year. Bevell should go too, time to move on.

Oh, and the thought of Singletary as the DC...please, no. He failed as a HC largely due to the fact that he had previously only ever been a position coach. And, he failed miserably. No thanks.

Here goes: Frazier, retain as HC, per above.
    DC: outside hire or promote Pagac...I could see either.
    OC: Fire Bezell, bring in new.
    OLine: Pat Murphy...I'm mixed believe it or not. Good track record, shitty, terrible 2010. Players or coach? Given my Tice argument...time for a change. Bring in new.
    Special Teams: Fire Murphy, bring in new.
    DLine: Karl Dunbar...again, mixed. Recent past, tremendous track record on the DLine...shitty 2010. Players aging? Lack of suitable rotation players? No depth? Something, or everything, was missing in 2010. Guion appears to have some promise. Seems like whenever Robison is playing there is a positive defensive play. I think you make a change here. For whatever reason, it didn't work this season.
    All the other coaches will probably be history...with the exception of TE Coach Jimmie Johnson.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234