ndobney is offline Training Camp

Coach Childress

Coaching: Childress definately made the right decision going with Gus when he did, it was a strong decision, and he didn't second guess his choice. I respect that. I think the players respect that too. That's what's important. He is the one making decisions, but notice that he is flexible too. Peterson was visibily upset when coach chilly decided to punt in the GB game; but seeing Peterson like that, as a coach it should say I need to go for it and put it in Peterson's hand. You see u can tell that Peterson wasn't acting like he thought he would make the first down, he was acting like he KNEW he could make that first down. Peterson knew they couldn't stop him, Peterson would have made it had he not fumbled. I'm am only slighly considered about him being able to hold onto the ball. I know it happens more then we would like, but I honestly think it will not be a big issue. Anyways back to the topic. I was one of those guys that was kind of nuetral of childress my opinion was still out on him, I was leaning towards firing him, but sometimes I wonder if he is the mad genies we thought he was.

Think about this offensively going to Ferrotte was the right decision, it saved the year, and maybe even his job!! Gus is playing good enough. I know that he throws a lot of intercepts, but we all knew what we were getting with Gus when we signed him. It proved that the Vikings could win through the something we haven't seen for a while, but he made the defense honest. They can't over play the run. This has opened Peterson's game up a lot more. It would be really nice if Gus could make less turnovers, but he is a good temporary fix. The fact is though that Childress has been able to open the playbook up with him so that is a good thing, I haven't questioned Chilly's play calling very much in the last few weeks. I am not so sure Anderson, whom we tend to believe may be the answer is the guy we should go after for the future,
    I am not so sure he is any better the Gus, he might be a little bit, but he turns the ball over too. I actually think we should keep an eye on Matt Castle. He hasn't played since high school, and I think he is starting to get a better feel for the game. Otherwise McNaab may be available, Garrad, or a draft, I believe we go the free agent route.

Defense is playing great and Allen is really emerging. I think if we continue to get a good pass rush up the middle that our pass defense will get much better. Mixing it up with different LB schemes is a good idea. I am said we lose Gorden, but I think we will be o.k. I am a little concerned when we play Arizona though, because they run a four reciever set.

Special Teams: hmmmmmmm.
    I think there is diffently room for improvement. My first question is why are the special teams unite not staying in there lines?? Really that shouldn't be any harder then zipping up your zipper after you pee. I mean I understand that sometimes you forget and someone reminds you to zip it up. So you fix the problem right there. Not the Vikings though, they are like the guy that is told to zip it up and walks around with it down anyways. I mean come on guys!! It can go on any longer though, change the personel or you might need to go with a new special teams coach.
    Kluwe, I think the nicest way to say this is you need a change of scenery. A coach shouldn't ever have to question weather on not they should punt on 4th and 99 to go. I never thought I would ever say this, but I never thought I would see a punter give up six returns either. We might need to look at using a 7th round draft pick on a punter. Depending on what's availible for FA punters, but if nothing then If you can find a guy with great hung time, or accurate enough to kick 50 yds out of bounce, then go for it. That would safe us several TD's.
    Other then that I think teams needs are OT, QB, P, and CB

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Coach Childress

some good points, but i disagree with you on Kluwe.
    How can you pin 6 returns on him?
    he's not outkicking his coverage, as if you'll watch last game, Griffin went flying right by the returner jsut after he caught the ball.
    He's pretty good with punts inside the 20, and he can really put some distance on it if necessary.
    The problem, as you mentioned is the guys are not running their lanes.
    Also, on that return, there was about 7 chances to make a tackle, it was just bad tackling all around.

ndobney is offline Training Camp

You don't have to pin all of them on him, but in week one his punt was a low line drive. He was done that on a couple of his returned punts, also he apparently had problems with him kicking it out of bound in NO, and lets not forget the Bears game. Maybe he's not responsible for all of the punt returns, but he is contributing heavily, fact is it needs to improve, or u will need to make some major adjustments in the offseason

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"ndobney" wrote:
    You don't have to pin all of them on him, but in week one his punt was a low line drive. He was done that on a couple of his returned punts, also he apparently had problems with him kicking it out of bound in NO, and lets not forget the Bears game. Maybe he's not responsible for all of the punt returns, but he is contributing heavily, fact is it needs to improve, or u will need to make some major adjustments in the offseason
    you have a point on the bears game.
    as for the NO one, its speculation on exactly when he was asked to kick out of bounds, Kluwe is not the problem, the rest of the kicking team is.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

I like the post, ndobney but I think Kluwe is a heck of a punter. Longwells kickoffs are the low line drive type, and that needs to be addressed first. Kluwe is a great directional kicker, who can really boom it, or put it out inside the 20 yard line. Our lane disipline and tackling need improvement.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    some good points, but i disagree with you on Kluwe.
    How can you pin 6 returns on him?
    he's not outkicking his coverage, as if you'll watch last game, Griffin went flying right by the returner jsut after he caught the ball.
    He's pretty good with punts inside the 20, and he can really put some distance on it if necessary.
    The problem, as you mentioned is the guys are not running their lanes.
    Also, on that return, there was about 7 chances to make a tackle, it was just bad tackling all around.
    So if you contend that Griff out ran the punt then how do you explain it away?

Griff just ran to a spot of his liking or he ran to a predetermined spot the ST's coaches wanted the punter to kick to?

Comeon my friend, it isn't like the gunners (in this case Griff) are watching the damn ball as they run like kids do in sandlot football my friend.
    The ST coach actually calls a real no shit honest play that everyone is supposed to execute, including the damn punter with respect to kicking it to a spot.

Back to the Punter.....The last two games have been better.
    The gunners have turned the ball inside for the tacklers or got there (because of decent hang time) fast enough to force a fair catch.

To think our ST's woes are tackling alone is simply, well, something a PUKER fan would say.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg