Page 1 of 19 123 11 ... LastLast
    baumy300 is offline Star Spokesman

Coach Brad Childress.

Before you guys jump all over me, let me start off explaining that I think Childress did the first real good job of the season yesterday. He made good adjustments and opened up the offensive playbook. I actually was not able to predict our plays before hand! Also, there was some poor execution on some of our plays, no questions asked.

However, it seems the majority of people on here now are crowning Childress as a king. It's not hard to do after we have a record breaking performance and earn a big road win against Chicago. Yet I am still not sold. I believe the reason is something called "consistency." I was/am pleased with yesterdays coaching for the most part.

Here's the thing: Until I start truly believing in Childress (trust me, I want to) he is going to need to show me he can adjust and coach on a consistent basis. Surely this is a big step in the right direction, but I think it is ignorant to not be skeptical.

We still need a coach to perform well or else it doesn't matter who our players are. Of course some of the executing isn't where it should be, but that happens to ANY team in ANY sport without coaching.

Let's look at the Redskins of a few years ago. They were so stacked with superstars and hall of famers that I thought there was no way they could lose. But they did. A lot. Also look at the Yankees. Can you even put together a better team if you made it up on a video game? Yet they still perform way under par. The point is, even with a team full of superstars, you still need someone to coach them and make them perform at a level that they are expected to. A coach is way more important than people know. I have coached football, and I know that unless you are coaching pee-wee football, it is hard to truly dominate a game even with good players. A coach has to put all of the pieces of the puzzle together to get that execution. That is why I partially blame Childress.

If coaching was just all about how your players perform, teams could just sign every superstar free agent and let them run wild. But that's not how it works. Sure a Randy Moss over a Robert Ferguson is a huge plus and will get you out of tight spots every now and then, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible to win with Ferguson. A coach also has to know how to use his players in the right spots, situations, and plays.

Childress for the most part has drafted well and he is showing signs of improvement. I want us to win as much as the next guy, but I refuse to drool over Childress until he proves more to me. It is going to take more than one win - against any team - to show me that he is worthy of my loyalty. See now, that doesn't make me a bad fan. Because I criticize our coaching staff, that doesn't mean I don't care about our team or our players. It is actually the opposite. I have nothing against Childress, and I am trying to be fair and balanced on this topic, but the truth is, Childress has a ways to go yet.

We could have lost yesterdays game easily. We blew a 14 point lead in under 4 minutes, and if not for a great kick off return and amazingly long field goal, we may have lost in overtime. So let's see what Childress does in these next 3 weeks before we start getting over-joyed and blinded with Chilly-love.

To each their own I guess, but I know I still expect a little more from Childress. He is not the worst coach in the league, but he is definitely not the best. Let's just hope he builds off of this last win and keeps making consistent adjustments.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Coach Brad Childress.

To put it in alot less words.

Chilly is growing as is the team.......I have seen with my own eyes that we as a coaching staff and team players, are on a good path....

Times are only going to get better for Chilly and the Team, as the season progresses....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

"baumy300" wrote:
    Before you guys jump all over me, let me start off explaining that I think Childress did the first real good job of the season yesterday. He made good adjustments and opened up the offensive playbook. I actually was not able to predict our plays before hand! Also, there was some poor execution on some of our plays, no questions asked.

However, it seems the majority of people on here now are crowning Childress as a king. It's not hard to do after we have a record breaking performance and earn a big road win against Chicago. Yet I am still not sold. I believe the reason is something called "consistency." I was/am pleased with yesterdays coaching for the most part.

We could have lost yesterdays game easily. We blew a 14 point lead in under 4 minutes, and if not for a great kick off return and amazingly long field goal, we may have lost in overtime. So let's see what Childress does in these next 3 weeks before we start getting over-joyed and blinded with Chilly-love.

To each their own I guess, but I know I still expect a little more from Childress. He is not the worst coach in the league, but he is definitely not the best. Let's just hope he builds off of this last win and keeps making consistent adjustments.
    Well, you're right to expect more.
    If he stopped today, he'd have an underwhelming 8-13 record for us.
    One exciting day does not make that a good number.

But Childress is supposed to be an offensive coach, and this was easily the Vikings' best offensive game under Childress.
    When it was 31-17, it looked like we would walk away saying it was the team's best game period under Childress.

Here's what I liked about the coaching:

-A proper balance in the play calling given our talent (43 runs and 24 passes, runs split 22 to Chester Taylor and 20 to AD).
    -Good game plan and preparation for the O-line.
    No man is an island, and no one on the right side of our line should be left on an island.
    -Tarvaris looked well prepared.
    He seemed to make the right reads.
    Not only did he not throw any picks, I don't think he threw a risky pass.
    True, he made some bad throws, but not bad decisions.

Here's what I didn't like about the coaching:
    -punting the ball to Hester.
    Give up the yards to take their most dangerous weapon out of the game.
    This should have been figured out during the week.
    -defensive collapse.
    Whether this was the play calling or (more likely) focus, the coaches need to make sure that the guys have a 60-minute attitude.
    -punting too much.
    It happened again this week.
    We could have tried for a field goal, but decided to punt instead.
    This time, our punt went into the endzone and we gained only about 13 yards from the punt.
    Go for it on 4th and short, and kick the field goal when you have a chance for points.

So it wasn't perfect in my mind, and I want them to get better.
    But there were a lot of positives today.
    I think Childress will be alright.
    But we should all expect him and his team to get better.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"NordicNed" wrote:

To put it in alot less words.

Chilly is growing as is the team.......I have seen with my own eyes that we as a coaching staff and team players, are on a good path....

Times are only going to get better for Chilly and the Team, as the season progresses....

Are you making predictions now in your nakedness?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

minnesota is offline Rookie

Nice play call with the PA pass to Williamson, you always gotta have a deep threat.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

However, it seems the majority of people on here now are crowning Childress as a king.

Please show and prove where people the majority are crowning him a king?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I think he just spelled majority instead of Marrdro ;D ;D ;D ;D :P

so-cal vike is offline Team Alumni

"baumy300" wrote:

As fans, that's all we can do.
    Coaches need the time to grow into their positions just as the players do.
    The Vikings aren't out of it yet.
    This can still be a very good if not simply exciting season.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I just can't criticize Childress this week. Not one bit. Schemewise, both offensively and defensively, we played the Bears perfectly. Great gameplanning went into this game.

Hopefully this is the first of many signs that Childress sat down during the bye week, realized his WCO scheme would never work, got over his ego, and decided to run the damn ball. It clearly took him way too long to come to this deduction, but hey, i'll take it. That being said, if we revert to our passing ways against Dallas, I'll be extremely upset.

Job well done Childress.

That is the first time I have ever said that.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    However, it seems the majority of people on here now are crowning Childress as a king.

Please show and prove where people the majority are crowning him a king?
    I don't believe anyone is crowning Childress a king.
    He finally coached a good game.
    We had a good game plan, and we executed fairly while, and did not make many costly mistakes.
    We had two penalties and no turnovers.
    That is a sign of good preparation.
    AD got his share of touches and he made good use of them.
    I know he was over 100 yards at the half.
    I was fearing a repeat of past losses.
    Where AD would have over a 100 yards at the half and only get two touches the entire 2nd half.
    The good news is that Childress has some type of tracking system employed to ensure that AD gets more touches.
    To my understanding, they were just kind of guestimating previously, shooting from the hip.
    Then they would total the touches for each individual player after the game.
    This is the NFL, a multi-billion dollar industry.
    Players are paid enormous salaries to play.
    Coaches are paid handsomely.
    I do believe this is the Not For Long league if you keep guestimating a players touches.
    That could lead to this scenario;
    Zygi Wilf:
    "Tough game to lose Coach.
    I was just wondering why your best player only was in on 25 of 65 plays".
    Coach Childress:
    "Well, sir, we actually intended to get him in on 10 more plays.
    But, Bevell lost his clipboard, and we lost track of how many plays he was in for".
    I don't believe Zygi would be to happy about that, and Jerry Jones would probably can him on the spot.
    If we are to be successful AD needs to get his touches.
    Bottom line.

Childress took a step in the right direction.
    Hopefully, he can make us all forget about the mistakes he has made getting to this point.

Page 1 of 19 123 11 ... LastLast