singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Coach backs Vikings' receivers

Posted on Thu, Mar. 30, 2006

[size=18px]Coach backs Vikings' receivers[/size]

Team waiting to decide on Burleson, Childress says

BY DON SEEHOLZER
    Pioneer Press

Coach Brad Childress said Wednesday in Orlando, Fla., that the Vikings still are discussing whether to match the Seattle Seahawks' seven-year, $49 million offer sheet to restricted free agent Nate Burleson, but even if they don't, the team will be fine at wide receiver.

Speaking at a coaches media breakfast on the final day of the NFL owners meeting, Childress touched on several subjects, including former quarterback Daunte Culpepper and his decision to rehabilitate his injured right knee in Florida instead of Minnesota.

Starting with Burleson, the Vikings are expected to wait until Friday's deadline to announce their decision, but they are considered unlikely to match Seattle's offer, which includes two so-called "poison-pill" clauses that would force Minnesota to guarantee the full contract.

Even so, Childress said, the Vikings wouldn't be hurting for wide receivers.

"You still have four guys," he said. "We've got Travis Taylor and Koren Robinson, and we've got (Troy) Williamson, who is going to be a talent, is a talent, will be better in his second year, and then Marcus Robinson."

Williamson had an unspectacular rookie season with the Vikings, catching 24 passes for 372 yards and two touchdowns, but Childress is looking for the former No. 1 draft choice to blossom this fall.

"He's a bullet," Childress said. "He's a 4.3 guy (in the 40-yard dash). In my estimation, watching him here catching the football, he catches it better than I thought... . I expect him to make a big jump from Year 1 to Year 2."

Moving on to Culpepper, Childress said he regretted recent remarks in which he compared the former Vikings quarterback with disruptive former Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver Terrell Owens, who last week joined the Dallas Cowboys.

Childress left no doubt, though, that Culpepper's insistence on rehabilitating his knee injury in Florida was a big factor in the March 15 trade that sent him to Miami for a second-round draft choice.

"I probably didn't need to go on and make the analogy between Terrell and he," Childress said. "I just talked about what a quarterback means to your program, where his mind and heart should be, being in that city and working out when there are 55 other guys there working out. That's the guy that is going to be the focal point, and you're going to hang your hat there.

"There has to be a buy-in factor. The buy-in factor usually means coming to town, immersing yourself in the system and be there throwing and working with the guys, even though he's in rehab mode."

Culpepper tore three ligaments in his right knee during an Oct. 30 game at Carolina, and it was Childress' strong feeling that the quarterback should have been working out at the Vikings' facilities under the supervision of team trainers.

"You ask, where is he rehabbing?" Childress said. "He's rehabbing in a HealthSouth place in Orlando. I close my eyes. I'm seeing a Chinese restaurant, a HealthSouth place, a laundromat, a strip mall that he's rehabbing himself at... . I'm like, 'What's wrong with this picture?' Are you with me? I'm going, 'Come on now. Is he better served here in the (Vikings') fieldhouse or the Wal-Mart parking lot?'"

Even without Culpepper, Childress said he believes the Vikings are set at quarterback, with veteran Mike McMahon backing up starter Brad Johnson, but will be looking to draft a quarterback to develop.

"I know there are the pre-eminent guys that are there," Childress said, "but there are some names that are down the line as well."

Asked if the Vikings could draft someone who might get on the field this season, Childress indicated that isn't the plan.

"I would say you wouldn't want that guy on the field the first year," he said. "He could play in the preseason. You'd probably have to say this: If we got that guy and he has to play in the first year, the (expletive) has hit the fan. Some guys have gone down in a hurry."

Last but not least, Childress said he is among those who hope the NFL eliminates poison-pill clauses such as the ones in the Burleson offer sheet and the seven-year, $49 million deal the Vikings used to pry all-pro guard Steve Hutchinson loose from Seattle.

Childress drew a distinction, though, between that offer sheet and the one the Seahawks presented to Burleson, which includes one clause that calls for the full contract to be guaranteed if he plays five games in any season in the state of Minnesota.

"That's out of the box," Childress said. "We thought (the Hutchinson offer sheet) was a creative thing. It wasn't, 'If he doesn't play a game in Alaska... ' Could you have thought of something that absurd?"

Don Seeholzer can be reached at [email protected]

Coach backs Vikings' receivers

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Coach backs Vikings' receivers

"That's out of the box," Childress said. "We thought (the Hutchinson offer sheet) was a creative thing. It wasn't, 'If he doesn't play a game in Alaska... ' Could you have thought of something that absurd?"

lol i love that part..it is quite absurd that a team would actually put that in a contract..guarenteed to be the highest paid lineman is realistic, and something hutch deserved in seattle, but to say a guy isnt allowed to play a game in a certain state is absolutely rediculous
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Nice!!

Vikings | T. Williamson impressing Childress
    Thu, 30 Mar 2006 05:45:53

Kevin Seifert, of the Star Tribune, reports Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress has been impressed by WR Troy Williamson during early offseason workouts. "He catches it better than I thought," Childress said. "Does he need release skills at the line of scrimmage? Yes, he does. But he is pretty young, and he was inactive a lot last year. I expect him to make a big jump from Year 1 to Year 2."

SnoSho is offline Rookie

Nice to know the new coach is gonna cut him some slack and work with him Offseason, not scream and bench Troy.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"SnoSho" wrote:
    Nice to know the new coach is gonna cut him some slack and work with him Offseason, not scream and bench Troy.
    I'm going to be sooooo glad to get rid of Tice's "dog house". That bothered me so much, and I really think it held our team back.

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

"ltrey33" wrote:
    "SnoSho" wrote:
    I'm going to be sooooo glad to get rid of Tice's "dog house". That bothered me so much, and I really think it held our team back.
    I liked Tice and think he did the best with what he was given. But, yes, it is going to be very very nice to get rid of this favoritism he showed towards players. He definately seemed to pick on certain players and give others more than they deserved.

With that being said I'm pumped to see Troy this year. I wasnt expecting much out of him this year but my expectations are definately much higher for him. He could and should be a very explosive player and I cant wait to see it!

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"olson_10" wrote:

lol i love that part..it is quite absurd that a team would actually put that in a contract..guarenteed to be the highest paid lineman is realistic, and something hutch deserved in seattle, but to say a guy isnt allowed to play a game in a certain state is absolutely rediculous
    So when Seattle gets flooded by all that rain and coffee and the Seahawks have to play elsewhere next season, we can just offer them our unused dates at the Metrodome to play their "home" games (ala the Saints last season). It would be extending an olive branch out to them...oh wait, Burleson's clause would kick in...OOPS!!! :evil4:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"Wiggles67" wrote:
    "ltrey33" wrote:
    "SnoSho" wrote:
    I liked Tice and think he did the best with what he was given. But, yes, it is going to be very very nice to get rid of this favoritism he showed towards players. He definately seemed to pick on certain players and give others more than they deserved.

With that being said I'm pumped to see Troy this year. I wasnt expecting much out of him this year but my expectations are definately much higher for him. He could and should be a very explosive player and I cant wait to see it!
    How many times does it have to be posted that Tice stated he would bring Troy in slowly & not use him on a regular basis.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"singersp" wrote:
    How many times does it have to be posted that Tice stated he would bring Troy in slowly & not use him on a regular basis.
    That may be the case, but it was reported dozens of times during last season that Troy was in Tice's "dog house" because of something that happened in training or workouts and that meant he was restricted in playing time. Tice even admitted as much on many different occassions.

However, you're right, the plan was always to bring him in slowly, and I think that will bear fruit in the long-run.

"Benet" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    That may be the case, but it was reported dozens of times during last season that Troy was in Tice's "dog house" because of something that happened in training or workouts and that meant he was restricted in playing time. Tice even admitted as much on many different occassions.

However, you're right, the plan was always to bring him in slowly, and I think that will bear fruit in the long-run.
    It was reported dozens of times maybe, but they were all about the one inncident were Troy removed himself from practice.

That prompted Tice to make him inactive for the Clevland game. And Tice was rightfully justified in his decision.

From the thread "Troy Williamson - In the doghouse?"

Troy Williamson likely to stay on inactive list