Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: C'mon Childress ....... A sing along?

"vikinggreg" wrote:
    The holes that were left from Brian Billick leaving, it was his offence that was built that did the scoring and was only maintained when he left.
    He did go on to win a ring as a HC but what remained in Minnesota never evolved with his departure it was just maintained.

Tony Dungy left and the defence he installed never grew it just eroded with his departure, he built a SB calibre team in Tampa and then won his own ring later with the Colts.

Both coordinators were never replaced with coaches with the same level of character or discipline.
    Then Denny had his house of cards fall on him and cheap jiggly butt Red moved Mike up to take over the team. Tice was the line coach and probably on of the best line coaches around but he was to close to the players and didn’t have the experience or tenure to build, wasn’t given the resources to build the staff, he was caught with a revolving door of coordinators. The team discipline suffered, development had peaked and the overall foundation was decaying. Thanks Red.

I don’t think Zygi could try to rebuild the foundation using Mike and Tice needed to develop as a coach too, with Tice getting a chance with Jags as a coordinator and distancing himself from the Vikings it will give him a better chance to be a better HC in the future.
    Tice did take a big jump in his career with the Vikes but with less than minimal tools to grow his skills or the teams.
    Childress is the new face that gets to be the axe man to clean up the team and start to rebuild.
    Whether Brad can survive what he is doing being that he was a rookie HC when he came in is the big question but Zygi is backing him a hell of a lot better then the support Tice got from Red.
    Very Nice my friend.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=singersp link=topic=38458.msg650991#msg650991 date=1191769235]
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=38458.msg650929#msg650929 date=1191755759]
    [quote author=PurpleGator link=topic=38458.msg650675#msg650675 date=1191682657]
    [quote author=ItalianStallion link=topic=38458.msg649117#msg649117 date=1191379119]
    [quote author=PurpleGator link=topic=38458.msg649105#msg649105 date=1191378233]
    I am still trying to figure out how he convinced the Viking Nation that we are in the rebuilding mode.

That isn't what he said when he took over.

He is just making excuses.

That's because we weren't when he took over.
    He proceeded to take the wrecking ball to the team to the point that we were rebuilding.
    I agree, he just destroyed this team.
    He messed them up big time.
    Comeon, what he inherited wasn't as great as some seem to believe.

Year W L T Finish
    2004 8 8 0 2nd
    2003 9 7 0 2nd
    2002 6 10 0 2nd
    2001 5 11 0 4th
    2000 11 5 0 1st
    1999 10 6 0 2nd
    1998 15 1 0 1st

1997 9 7 0 4th
    1996 9 7 0 2nd
    1995 8 8 0 4th
    1994 10 6 0 1st
    1993 9 7 0 2nd
    1992 11 5 0 1st
    1991 8 8 0 4th
    1990 6 10 0 5th

Seems that people on here forget about gimme wins at the end of season and the one I especially like that everyone seems to ignore about us being the laughing stock of the leauge for like 2 years or so when we couldn't win a road game.
    Ohhhh
    wait wait, how about how great we were in the playoffs, getting there but not being able to get past the 1rst round.
    gol 'darnit, gimme a break.
    It was time to gut the gol 'darnit thing and start over.

???
    Hmm!
    I recall beating the Packers at Lambeau in the first round of the playoffs.
    Great one, however, give me 3 more.........
    Wait, to hard.....
    Give me one more......

;D
    [/quote]

2000 & 1998. Made it to the NFC title game both years.

Cottrell was the weak link in the Tice era. Had we had Tomlin's defense back then, who knows.
    [/quote]
    I'll split the difference with you then.
    My point is still valid.
    What we were doing wasn't getting it done anyway.

Out with the old, in with the new (and a few old ones).

Additionally, I still say that we aren't out of the 9-7 mode yet.

;D
    [/quote]

Before you came, I posted an article where Rob Bryzinski (sp) spoke of is displeasure of the Tice firing & how he & Tice had a plan were slowly rebuilding the team while always maintaining a lot of salary cap room. It just never came into fruitation under McCombs & he didn't have the opportunity to get the coaching staff he needed under Wilf.
    [/quote]
    I agree Mike had one issue and that was the owner.

No coaching staff, no money for players etc.

My rub isn't with Tice, but rather if you look at all of my previous posts in this an other threads, it is with the organization as a whole over that era.
    Again, the organization we have today (top to bottom) is/will be the difference not only this year but for the future.
    [/quote]

Exactly, and Tice was the fall guy for it, not McCombs. I doubt Childress or any other coach would fair well under McCombs as well.

Wilf did tell Tice he could go out & get whoever he wished & opened up the wallet, but it was shortly before the start of the season & too late to make any staff changes at that point.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    So in the best case scenario for you, you are saying that Childress is a liar.

It was him who said "This is a Plum job with alot of talent and we can win right away" Nobody except Childress said that.

Now, either he is a liar or he overstated his coaching ability. Either way why would you say that fans who hold him to his word are somehow Haters?

It amazes me how Tice is hammered for being a stupid, worthless coach when those stats show that he took a team and improved it's record while working for a boss who wouldn't spend any money on players, coaches or facilities. The team certainly wasn't super bowl caliber but it was improving from the 5-11 team he inherited and they were at least able to beat the Lions and the Packers along with the Bears once in a while. Childress hasn't beaten the teams in our division and that is unacceptable. Especially considering that 2 out of three of those teams are also rebuilding,just being more successful at it than he is.
    You know that is one of those things that is like a thorn in his side.
    I did a quick search and can't find that comment anywere.

I am sure that Singer has one hidden someplace.

Additionally, what I could find was stuff that said he thought they could win "last url" but that is always in direct relation to info about guys leaving (i.e. Culpepper) or weren't gonna play due to injury (i.e. Birk) after he had already accepted the job.

Long story short, the team did look better on paper than what (IMHO) they really were.

http://news.minnesota.publicradio.org/features/2006/01/06_williamsb_childress/
    When asked about his chances of going to the Super Bowl next season, Childress replied that he first has to wait and see which players are coming back.
    http://brad-childress-news.newslib.com/story/6534-4/

Q: Do you imagine using a similar offense to what you used in Philadelphia?
    A: The most important thing is to see what kind of talents these guys posses. I think it is important for us to get up to speed and for all of our coaches to understand exactly what each guy can do and don't ask him to do anything he can't do. I'm looking forward to seeing what exactly each one of these guys brings to the table.
    http://www.startribune.com/510/story/166073.html

When asked if a head coaching job in the NFL was a dream come true, Childress said, "How about if I just make those comments tomorrow?"
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...301106_pf.html

But he took himself off the market quickly, taking the Vikings' job in large part because he regarded the team as well-stocked with talent and ready to win immediately........

Now the season is at hand, and Childress will try to win with a lineup that has lost Culpepper a year after it lost traded wide receiver Randy Moss. But it was Johnson, not Culpepper, who led last season's resurgence, and Childress said he traded Culpepper knowing that he could rely on Johnson. Veteran center Matt Birk said that Childress has made a positive impression.
    This is the complete first interview with all of the quotes and his impressions of the team. I think I was pretty close just going off memory.

http://www.noticias.info/asp/aspComunicados.asp?nid=134017&src=0

Here is the Plum job statement in context:

Q: When this process started did you ever think you would just talk to one team?
    A: I think much the same as these guys, they knew what they were looking for and I knew what I was looking for. In my mind out of these jobs that are open in the NFL this is the plum job in the National Football League, without a doubt, hands down. You can talk to nine out of 10 people and they are going to tell you that. It fit, they showed how committed they are to wanting to win and that is important that they have a passion as well as the people here in Minnesota.

Q: Why is this the ideal job?
    A: Because I don't think that they are that far away. I think that personnel lends itself to having success in a hurry.
    This is what HE said about the talent,just so there is no confusion about whether he was in a supplemental or rebuilding state of mind.

Q: How far away do you think this club is from being a legitimate Super Bowl contender?
    A: I hate to paint that. Everything depends on who comes back, who you re-sign and how these guys interact with us. It is very difficult to get to the Super Bowl, very difficult. With that said, do I think there is talent here? Yeah, I do think there is talent here and I think that we are going to be able to augment that talent. But how far away, I don't know if anybody has a measuring stick. Everybody is trying to measure that. That is what you try to do in the off-season. You say, "What do I need to get there and how do we go about it?" [glow=red,2,300]Again, this is not a talent-poor place[/glow].
    And here is brief description of the WCO in which to me it would seem that it would be flexible enough to allow him to use the talent he had,rather than requiring a certain type of player at every position in order to work

Q: Do you plan to continue the West Coast offense?
    A: Yeah, and I think that is overused. I think what West Coast allows you to do is be able to use your talent. Whether it is two tight ends and one back, two wide receivers, or if you feel like you want to stick four wide receivers out on the field I think we have the flexibility to do that.
    ;D

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

It was him who said "This is a Plum job with alot of talent and we can win right away" Nobody except Childress said that.

Now, either he is a liar or he overstated his coaching ability. Either way why would you say that fans who hold him to his word are somehow Haters?

It amazes me how Tice is hammered for being a stupid, worthless coach when those stats show that he took a team and improved it's record while working for a boss who wouldn't spend any money on players, coaches or facilities. The team certainly wasn't super bowl caliber but it was improving from the 5-11 team he inherited and they were at least able to beat the Lions and the Packers along with the Bears once in a while. Childress hasn't beaten the teams in our division and that is unacceptable. Especially considering that 2 out of three of those teams are also rebuilding,just being more successful at it than he is.

Additionally, what I could find was stuff that said he thought they could win "last url" but that is always in direct relation to info about guys leaving (i.e. Culpepper) or weren't gonna play due to injury (i.e. Birk) after he had already accepted the job.

Long story short, the team did look better on paper than what (IMHO) they really were.

When asked about his chances of going to the Super Bowl next season, Childress replied that he first has to wait and see which players are coming back.

A: The most important thing is to see what kind of talents these guys posses. I think it is important for us to get up to speed and for all of our coaches to understand exactly what each guy can do and don't ask him to do anything he can't do. I'm looking forward to seeing what exactly each one of these guys brings to the table.

When asked if a head coaching job in the NFL was a dream come true, Childress said, "How about if I just make those comments tomorrow?"

But he took himself off the market quickly, taking the Vikings' job in large part because he regarded the team as well-stocked with talent and ready to win immediately........

Now the season is at hand, and Childress will try to win with a lineup that has lost Culpepper a year after it lost traded wide receiver Randy Moss. But it was Johnson, not Culpepper, who led last season's resurgence, and Childress said he traded Culpepper knowing that he could rely on Johnson. Veteran center Matt Birk said that Childress has made a positive impression.
    This is the complete first interview with all of the quotes and his impressions of the team. I think I was pretty close just going off memory.

Q: When this process started did you ever think you would just talk to one team?
    A: I think much the same as these guys, they knew what they were looking for and I knew what I was looking for. In my mind out of these jobs that are open in the NFL this is the plum job in the National Football League, without a doubt, hands down. You can talk to nine out of 10 people and they are going to tell you that. It fit, they showed how committed they are to wanting to win and that is important that they have a passion as well as the people here in Minnesota.

A: Because I don't think that they are that far away. I think that personnel lends itself to having success in a hurry.
    This is what HE said about the talent,just so there is no confusion about whether he was in a supplemental or rebuilding state of mind.

Q: How far away do you think this club is from being a legitimate Super Bowl contender?
    A: I hate to paint that. Everything depends on who comes back, who you re-sign and how these guys interact with us. It is very difficult to get to the Super Bowl, very difficult. With that said, do I think there is talent here? Yeah, I do think there is talent here and I think that we are going to be able to augment that talent. But how far away, I don't know if anybody has a measuring stick. Everybody is trying to measure that. That is what you try to do in the off-season. You say, "What do I need to get there and how do we go about it?" [glow=red,2,300]Again, this is not a talent-poor place[/glow].
    And here is brief description of the WCO in which to me it would seem that it would be flexible enough to allow him to use the talent he had,rather than requiring a certain type of player at every position in order to work

A: Yeah, and I think that is overused. I think what West Coast allows you to do is be able to use your talent. Whether it is two tight ends and one back, two wide receivers, or if you feel like you want to stick four wide receivers out on the field I think we have the flexibility to do that.
    ;D
    Thanks, I haven't ever seen that one. Thought Singer would pull it up for us.

Guess the old Chiller had a rude awaking when he actually got to see that the team did look better on paper than what (IMHO) they really were.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

;D

Guess the old Chiller had a rude awaking when he actually got to see that the team did look better on paper than what (IMHO) they really were.
    Or the rude awakening may have been when he discovered he wasn't as good as he thought he was

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

;D

Or the rude awakening may have been when he discovered he wasn't as good as he thought he was
    Patience my friend.
    His brilliance will shine brighter than his slightly balding head.
    ;D

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    [quote author=UffDaVikes link=topic=38458.msg650981#msg650981 date=1191767883]

;D

Patience my friend.
    His brilliance will shine brighter than his slightly balding head.

;D
    [/quote]

That's a pretty high expectation.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345