Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clowney set to plummet down draft boards ?

After a not so good showing at the combine,is Clowney at risk of being a late first round pick or possibly into the second?I know the ccombine doesnt make you but it shows strengths and weaknesses....Clowney only benched 21 reps... Brady Quinn did 25 and I believe a punter even did more.. Also Clowneys 40 time and jumps were just average as well.. I'm just curious as to see if he is overrated or if it was just a bad day at the combine. I beleiev he lacks work ethic and teams will look at his weaknesses.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    "Questions about his work ethics" is what I heard from the commentators on NFLN.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    I think teams look at the weaknesses of all players. They're just more likely to point them out, repeatedly, when a guy is as hyped as Jadeveon Clowney.

I wouldn't buy much stock in bench press numbers. Marcus Stroud also did 21, Kevin Williams did 23, Warren Sapp did 17, Marcel Dareus did 24(at 320 pounds) and all of these guys play/ed on the inside and have shorter arms than Clowney. Calais Campbell did 16, Jason Pierre-Paul 19, Robert Quinn 22, Aldon Smith 20, Jared Allen only did 13. None of these guys were the kind of prospect Clowney is.

If the bench press were, at all, an indicator of ability to play defensive end successfully, I'd have been a 4 star recruit out of high school.

Clowney is going to step on the field dominate the actual measures of athleticism. He'll likely run in the 4.5s, jump 35"+ vert and 10'+ in the broad, at over 6'5" and 266 pound. He's a mutant. He's a little immature, sure, but he turned 21 years old last week and has been hyped up by everyone around him since he was a junior in high school. He's never been in real trouble. I think he's the type of player, a lot like Anthony Davis was a few years ago, who once he becomes a pro will act like a pro.

Had he not lifted at all he could have avoided this criticism. He could not participate at the combine at all and would still be regarded as the best player in the draft and the best defensive prospect in recent memory.
    Last edited by Mr Anderson; 02-24-2014 at 09:58 AM.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    What people don't understand how hard it is too look like you are giving your all when teams are running the ball away from you. Our assigning 3 guys to block you. You are only 1 man, you can't beat 3. It frustrate you, and to be honest, no amount of motor will get you into the play.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    He will not be a late first round pick or 2nd. If we pass on him I'll be extremely upset.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 12purplepride28 View Post
    He will not be a late first round pick or 2nd. If we pass on him I'll be extremely upset.
    As will I. According to NFL.com, Clowney ran unofficial 40-yard dash times of 4.47 and 4.48 seconds! If we cut Jared Allen loose, I think Clowney could step right in and fortify the pass rush. Have Robison and Clowney as starting DE's, with Griffen and the others backing them up. This should help our 31st-ranked pass defense get better. Clowney is not a perfect player, but WHO IS? He would be a fine choice at #8 if he falls that far!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    I hope no one actually thinks there's a chance he'll be on the board at #8. It would require trading up to at least the top 5. Most likely top 2.

Don't get your hopes up.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vikesrgreat2 View Post
    As will I. According to NFL.com, Clowney ran unofficial 40-yard dash times of 4.47 and 4.48 seconds! If we cut Jared Allen loose, I think Clowney could step right in and fortify the pass rush. Have Robison and Clowney as starting DE's, with Griffen and the others backing them up. This should help our 31st-ranked pass defense get better. Clowney is not a perfect player, but WHO IS? He would be a fine choice at #8 if he falls that far!
    I would prefer to start Griffen and Clowney. I'm not a big fan of Robison.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
    I hope no one actually thinks there's a chance he'll be on the board at #8. It would require trading up to at least the top 5. Most likely top 2.

Don't get your hopes up.
    +1

He may not get past Houston but if he does it is highly unlikely he will get past Jacksonville and if he does, it is highly unlikely he will get past Oakland. And if he does he will not get past Atlanta, they desperately need a pass rush. So there is no way he falls to us, but if he should somehow fall to us and we don't draft him we are nuts.

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Yeah, he's dropping like a rock! He might fall to top 3 instead of number one.
    I don't think the combine results are going to have much effect on where he gets drafted, with the possible exception of how he interviews.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast