Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    TARKenton is offline Asst. Coach

Clayton: Tice on Shaky Ground

i know this is old news to us, but what bothers me is what ESPN's John Clayton says in the last line of this:

On Shaky Ground

• Minnesota, Mike Tice (approval rating): Tice is in the last year of his contract, so his future is determined by performance. A 1-4 start made life tough, but Tice is battling back. He added two consultants to the staff (Foge Fazio and Jerry Rhome), and now they are making a playoff run despite not having their best player, quarterback Daunte Culpepper. If the Vikings can get to nine or 10 wins, Tice might be able to keep his job. At 6-5, the Vikings don't have a particularly hard schedule. The only winning team they face before the final game against the Bears is the Steelers on Dec. 18. The Vikings have rallied around Brad Johnson. Tice has done a great job of keeping things positive despite the chaos of the infamous boat-party trip. If he can catch the Bears, he might stay with the Vikings. Another issue here is that the Vikings have a new owner in Zygi Wilf who might decide he wants to bring in his own coach. The Vikings have a good talent base and would be a nice stop for a head coach such as Martz or Billick if they get fired.

Mike Martz? Is he serious? Martz makes Tice look like Bill Bellichick. I would be ok with Billick but lets see what Tice can do. A trip deep into the playoffs with this team may save his job.
    ...Rodgers had to hold on the ball longer, giving players like Jared "I am completely insane and will literally eat your children" Allen time to sack Rodgers again.And again. And again. Actually I think Rodgers may have nightmares about Jared Allen the rest of the year.

Jviking is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Clayton: Tice on Shaky Ground

I agree, I sure would rather have tice than martz...
    I BLEED PURPLE!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I could be wrong but isn't Martz actually a good coach? Only way I've heard he is bad is on here..

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    I could be wrong but isn't Martz actually a good coach? Only way I've heard he is bad is on here..
    he has moments where he shows he is a good coach....much overshadowed by his reckless playcalling, obession with passing the ball, his crazy "trick" plays/ surprise onside kicks, and not very defensive minded. Overall I would much much much rather have tice

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

Del Rio Guest

I think Martz knows a lot about football. I think he knows too much. He tries to complicate things. I don't think he would do well here at this time.

Billick would be a natural choice, but to be honest the coaching style he brings is really not that different from Tice. If those are the options then I think Tice is safe.

jimmymac is offline Pro-Bowler

I'm not one of them, but don't a lot of Vikings fans dislike Billick.
    -- Sarcasm always turned on --

Prophet Guest

"Del Rio" wrote:
    ...Billick would be a natural choice, but to be honest the coaching style he brings is really not that different from Tice. If those are the options then I think Tice is safe.
    What do you mean they have the same coaching style? Are you saying that the way the Vikings are playing now is what we would get if Billick was the coach?

I would say that the current Vikings team is analagous to the dog walking the owner rather than the owner walking the dog.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I guarantee you this...if Wilf brings in a new coach, that new coach had better be a whole lot better than Tice...and both Martz and Billick aren't a whole lot better...heck, they may even be worse!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:
    ...Billick would be a natural choice, but to be honest the coaching style he brings is really not that different from Tice. If those are the options then I think Tice is safe.
    What do you mean they have the same coaching style? Are you saying that the way the Vikings are playing now is what we would get if Billick was the coach?

I would say that the current Vikings team is analagous to the dog walking the owner rather than the owner walking the dog.
    Billick is a players coach as well. He is non confrontational and is very mild mannered and quiet when it comes to his players. His team has had some serious issues off the field with the law and he didn't react to it in an acceptable manner IMO.

I think Billick = Tice

Prophet Guest

Yeah, I could see that.

I was pushing for Romeo Crennell for HC last year.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast