Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Classic Vikings picture from LIFE magazine

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Makes you really see the physical difference between the players now and then.

a bunch of scrawny white guys and a single black guy made our starting offense.

But, to name them all:

Starting wit Fran and going counter-clockwise

10: Fran Tarkenton
    33: Mel tripplett
    39: Hugh McEhlleny
    84: Dave Middleton
    67: Grady Alderman
    65: Jerry Huth
    52: Bill Lapham
    64: Mike Rabold
    72: Frank youso
    85: Bob Schnelker
    83: Don Joyce
    I would have never got that was Fran. Damn he looks young and appears to have pretty big nostrils from that angle..... B)
    really? that was the first one I got. its the 1961 team, there's never been a #10 prior to Fran (Since he was on the original team) King Hill was the only other #10 ever, and only for one season in 1968 when Fran was a Giant.
    My apologies...... I never once have said I know everything...... :P

Seriously, that just didn't look like him, but now that I know, I can see it is him.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re:Classic Vikings picture from LIFE magazine

Rockmolder wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    25 would be Tommy Mason, the first draft choice in Vikings history. He was pretty good.
    I think Fran was drafted in the same draft class.

Hugh McElhenny was a great football player.I'm old so I've seen all the Vikings teams, except 1971 when I was in 'Nam.

Too long ago to remember all in this picture.

No face masks. Probably for the picture. Face masks weren't very big back then, but I think they had them.
    That totally threw me off. Tarkenton was the only one I recognized, anyway, but not having a facemask on that helmet made me doubt that one.

Awesome picture.
    For me it was those damn big nostrils....... You could drive a Mack semi in there. YOWZER..... :woohoo:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Classic Vikings picture from LIFE magazine

Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Makes you really see the physical difference between the players now and then.

a bunch of scrawny white guys and a single black guy made our starting offense.

But, to name them all:

Starting wit Fran and going counter-clockwise

10: Fran Tarkenton
    33: Mel tripplett
    39: Hugh McEhlleny
    84: Dave Middleton
    67: Grady Alderman
    65: Jerry Huth
    52: Bill Lapham
    64: Mike Rabold
    72: Frank youso
    85: Bob Schnelker
    83: Don Joyce
    I would have never got that was Fran. Damn he looks young and appears to have pretty big nostrils from that angle..... B)
    really? that was the first one I got. its the 1961 team, there's never been a #10 prior to Fran (Since he was on the original team) King Hill was the only other #10 ever, and only for one season in 1968 when Fran was a Giant.
    My apologies...... I never once have said I know everything...... :P
    I'm not sure I can be so quick to forgive.... I'll have to think about it.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Also, Mason was #20 if I'm not mistaken.
    You weren't born yet so I doubt you would recall.

Kind of embarrassing that you have a better recollection than my memory from 1961.lol!

So like you I looked it up. Yes, the jersey was number 20.
    And though Tommy played in 1961, he didn't start until 1962, which explains why he wasn't in the picture.

Should have looked closer.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Blog Entries

jargomcfargo wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

Kind of embarrassing that you have a better recollection than my memory from 1961.lol!

And though Tommy played in 1961, he didn't start until 1962, which explains why he wasn't in the picture.

That was one of the few things I did know about then, was that Mason was our first overall pick in our first NFL draft, and I had thought he was 20. Seeing no 20 in the picture didn't surprise me, as he woudl have been a rookie then. I also knew about McEhlleny, who is in the HOF, and Tripplett, so that made sense.

not going to lie, I looked up some of the others. Alot of those 1961 guys weren't very well known at all.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

That was one of the few things I did know about then, was that Mason was our first overall pick in our first NFL draft, and I had thought he was 20. Seeing no 20 in the picture didn't surprise me, as he woudl have been a rookie then. I also knew about McEhlleny, who is in the HOF, and Tripplett, so that made sense.

not going to lie, I looked up some of the others. Alot of those 1961 guys weren't very well known at all.
    Good job. I never doubted you. You do know your stuff.
    Faulty memory aside, Mason was good, but McElhenny was a beast for his time.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Blog Entries

jargomcfargo wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

I wish there were more classic games available to watch.

You can find the superbowls on youtube, but those aren't as fun to watch due to the outcome

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

You can find the superbowls on youtube, but those aren't as fun to watch due to the outcome
    That's one of the worst things about being a Vikings fan.
    Lot of great history but hard to look backwards.

I feel for Jim Marshall. Great player, but as time goes on,many people will only remember him for is his wrong way run.
    Dilfer

jargomcfargo wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:

That's one of the worst things about being a Vikings fan.
    Lot of great history but hard to look backwards.

I feel for Jim Marshall. Great player, but as time goes on,many people will only remember him for is his wrong way run.
    I love what NFLN does with shows like "The Lost Rings" and the re-airs of some of the other games that were considered "Classics".

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Fran was the only one I got. Wow.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast