Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Classic Vikings picture from LIFE magazine

    Check this out - it's AWESOME!

    Can anyone name all the players?

    http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/ddc548e65ab3cce1_large

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  2. #2
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re:Classic Vikings picture from LIFE magazine

    What a great pic. Without googling I can't name any of them......

    Must be the first team.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  3. #3
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Classic Vikings picture from LIFE magazine

    Makes you really see the physical difference between the players now and then.

    a bunch of scrawny white guys and a single black guy made our starting offense.

    But, to name them all:

    Starting wit Fran and going counter-clockwise

    10: Fran Tarkenton
    33: Mel tripplett
    39: Hugh McEhlleny
    84: Dave Middleton
    67: Grady Alderman
    65: Jerry Huth
    52: Bill Lapham
    64: Mike Rabold
    72: Frank youso
    85: Bob Schnelker
    83: Don Joyce

  4. #4
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,909

    Re: Classic Vikings picture from LIFE magazine

    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Makes you really see the physical difference between the players now and then.

    a bunch of scrawny white guys and a single black guy made our starting offense.

    But, to name them all:

    Starting wit Fran and going counter-clockwise

    10: Fran Tarkenton
    33: Mel tripplett
    39: Hugh McEhlleny
    84: Dave Middleton
    67: Grady Alderman
    65: Jerry Huth
    52: Bill Lapham
    64: Mike Rabold
    72: Frank youso
    85: Bob Schnelker
    83: Don Joyce
    I would have never got that was Fran. Damn he looks young and appears to have pretty big nostrils from that angle..... B)
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #5
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Classic Vikings picture from LIFE magazine

    Marrdro wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Makes you really see the physical difference between the players now and then.

    a bunch of scrawny white guys and a single black guy made our starting offense.

    But, to name them all:

    Starting wit Fran and going counter-clockwise

    10: Fran Tarkenton
    33: Mel tripplett
    39: Hugh McEhlleny
    84: Dave Middleton
    67: Grady Alderman
    65: Jerry Huth
    52: Bill Lapham
    64: Mike Rabold
    72: Frank youso
    85: Bob Schnelker
    83: Don Joyce
    I would have never got that was Fran. Damn he looks young and appears to have pretty big nostrils from that angle..... B)
    really? that was the first one I got. its the 1961 team, there's never been a #10 prior to Fran (Since he was on the original team) King Hill was the only other #10 ever, and only for one season in 1968 when Fran was a Giant.

  6. #6
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re:Classic Vikings picture from LIFE magazine

    25 would be Tommy Mason, the first draft choice in Vikings history. He was pretty good.
    I think Fran was drafted in the same draft class.

    Hugh McElhenny was a great football player.I'm old so I've seen all the Vikings teams, except 1971 when I was in 'Nam.

    Too long ago to remember all in this picture.

    No face masks. Probably for the picture. Face masks weren't very big back then, but I think they had them.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  7. #7
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re:Classic Vikings picture from LIFE magazine

    jargomcfargo wrote:
    25 would be Tommy Mason, the first draft choice in Vikings history. He was pretty good.
    I think Fran was drafted in the same draft class.

    Hugh McElhenny was a great football player.I'm old so I've seen all the Vikings teams, except 1971 when I was in 'Nam.

    Too long ago to remember all in this picture.

    No face masks. Probably for the picture. Face masks weren't very big back then, but I think they had them.
    There's no #25 in that picture.

  8. #8
    jargomcfargo's Avatar
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    4,776

    Re:Classic Vikings picture from LIFE magazine

    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    jargomcfargo wrote:
    25 would be Tommy Mason, the first draft choice in Vikings history. He was pretty good.
    I think Fran was drafted in the same draft class.

    Hugh McElhenny was a great football player.I'm old so I've seen all the Vikings teams, except 1971 when I was in 'Nam.

    Too long ago to remember all in this picture.

    No face masks. Probably for the picture. Face masks weren't very big back then, but I think they had them.
    There's no #25 in that picture.
    I stand corrected.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

  9. #9
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re:Classic Vikings picture from LIFE magazine

    Also, Mason was #20 if I'm not mistaken.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,061

    Re:Classic Vikings picture from LIFE magazine

    jargomcfargo wrote:
    25 would be Tommy Mason, the first draft choice in Vikings history. He was pretty good.
    I think Fran was drafted in the same draft class.

    Hugh McElhenny was a great football player.I'm old so I've seen all the Vikings teams, except 1971 when I was in 'Nam.

    Too long ago to remember all in this picture.

    No face masks. Probably for the picture. Face masks weren't very big back then, but I think they had them.
    That totally threw me off. Tarkenton was the only one I recognized, anyway, but not having a facemask on that helmet made me doubt that one.

    Awesome picture.
    "You can look pretty smart if you have a knack for planning ahead. That's Ted. The Packers are in good hands." - Ron Wolf


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Preview magazine likes Vikings
    By Marrdro in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-23-2010, 02:48 PM
  2. Classic Vikings games on DVD
    By i_bleed_purple in forum Tix & Such
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 03:42 PM
  3. Vikings: The big picture
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-13-2006, 08:13 AM
  4. Sports Magazine has Vikings with a 12-4 Division Champs Pre
    By NordicNed in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-23-2005, 10:48 PM
  5. ESPN Classic Vikings
    By MiamiViking in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 02:00 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •