Circumstances piled on at wide receiver, Wilf says

Posted on Wed, Jan. 03, 2007

[size=13pt]Circumstances piled on at wide receiver, Wilf says[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN and DON SEEHOLZER

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Circumstances piled on at wide receiver, Wilf says

Wilf said the club drafted based on need in the past, something it won't do in the future. And although the Vikings are expected to have $23 million in salary cap space, Wilf said he will not spend for the sake of it.

"People ask me, 'Well, you have the money and the cap to spend?' " Wilf said. "To tell you the truth, I'm only going to spend the money on free agency if that person is going to be a very important part of our team. I'm not going to spend it just because the money is available. That would be foolish. And that would not do justice to our team."
    Good, the one thing we don't need is a Dan Snyder type owner who thinks that he can buy a championship. I hope that he now gets good advice in terms of who we should go after.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I am not sure that any big name WR's are available in FA... A few that may be available by trade would include Randy Moss, and Jerry Porter.. Either of those two would be much better then what we have..

Wilf did also state that he didn't have a decision in the Moss trade, and the Williamson pick... I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the Vikes go after either of the two..

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

It's interesting that Wilf specifically pointed out that he didn't have a say in the Moss trade. I think Wilf would pull the trigger on a deal if it ever arose, but the ultimate decision will be on Childress, and I don't see him wanting Moss in Minnesota after what he went through with TO.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Ltrey" wrote:
    It's interesting that Wilf specifically pointed out that he didn't have a say in the Moss trade. I think Wilf would pull the trigger on a deal if it ever arose, but the ultimate decision will be on Childress, and I don't see him wanting Moss in Minnesota after what he went through with TO.
    That was always one of the sticking points of the Moss trade, the fact it was more a clash with McCombs and that Red seemed determined to put on over on the franchise.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

douginc is offline Starter

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    I am not sure that any big name WR's are available in FA... A few that may be available by trade would include Randy Moss, and Jerry Porter.. Either of those two would be much better then what we have..

Wilf did also state that he didn't have a decision in the Moss trade, and the Williamson pick... I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the Vikes go after either of the two..
    Isn't Jerry Porter a total team chode?
    I thought I heard something a while back on ESPN about him doing something terrible on the sidelines.
    Can't remember what.

Not sure I'd care for Porter, unless he would come in with a very positive attitude towards our team and organization.
    Same goes for Moss.
    Well, honestly, I'm all for ANY player on our team, so long as they come in with a good attitude and play well.
    I'll give anyone a chance, too.
    Won't harp on them until they hit the field and fail.
    No one can fail until they've failed on the field when the season starts, and the wins and losses count.

Of course, I tried my best to say that about Williamson, even though I'd read and watched a lot on his drops and unsure hand / eye coordination.
    I was harping him before the year started, saying he'd be a bust.
    Of course, it turned out to be true, but I shouldn't have said it.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Joe Horn is gonna be available at a fair price in a trade...and would be a great fit here with his experience...and TJack's arm.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

"douginc" wrote:
    "VikesfaninWis" wrote:

Isn't Jerry Porter a total team chode?
    I thought I heard something a while back on ESPN about him doing something terrible on the sidelines.
    Can't remember what

Not sure I'd care for Porter, unless he would come in with a very positive attitude towards our team and organization.
    Same goes for Moss.
    Well, honestly, I'm all for ANY player on our team, so long as they come in with a good attitude and play well.
    I'll give anyone a chance, too.
    Won't harp on them until they hit the field and fail.
    No one can fail until they've failed on the field when the season starts, and the wins and losses count.

Of course, I tried my best to say that about Williamson, even though I'd read and watched a lot on his drops and unsure hand / eye coordination.
    I was harping him before the year started, saying he'd be a bust.
    Of course, it turned out to be true, but I shouldn't have said it.

The only thing I can remember hearing about him is that in one game where Aaron Brooks was sacked, they said he was on the sidelines laughing.. Then when asked if that was the case, Porter said he was laughing with a teammate about something totally different.. Who knows though, he still has tremendous talent.. Could you blame him anyways? He got the royal screw job in Oakland this season..

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Well, teams know we need help in that area, they will come with the bad boy offers to our doorstep.

Porter
    TO
    Moss
    Horn

All of them have had their issues some still continue to have them.
    Not saying we are getting any of them, just that they might be up for trading this off season.

Jerry Porters stats:
    http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187624

DPep11 is offline Asst. Coach

I wouldn't mind getting Moss, Porter or Horn. Moss only looks bad because the Raiders offense as a whole is just god awful. Their offensive line doesn't give the QB a sufficient amount of to make his reads or give Randy the time to stretch the field cause the QB is always on their back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast