singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Ciatrick Fason returns bigger, better

Published August 07, 2006 12:50 am

He’s not only bigger but, according to starting quarterback Brad Johnson, Ciarick Fason is a lot better, too.

[size=18px]Second-year running back Fason returns bigger, better[/size]
    Fason scored four TDs in limited action last season

By Jim Rueda
    The Free Press

MANKATO —

He’s not only bigger but, according to starting quarterback Brad Johnson, Ciarick Fason is a lot better, too.

Fason, a second-year running back out of the University of Florida, may be listed third on the Vikings depth chart behind starter Chester Taylor and fourth-year running Mewelde Moore, but he has no doubt he’s going to get a chance to contribute this season.

Johnson agrees: “Last year Ciatrick was a young guy coming out early and I think he was just happy to be here to some degree. His chances were very limited (in 2005). We had him on a lot of third-and-short, a lot of goal-line opportunities.

“This year he’s getting more chances in training camp and he’s running with more authority. He’s made a lot of guys miss out in the open field and he’s getting a better feel for the game.”

Fason was used in a limited capacity as a goal-line back last season and was able to score four touchdowns despite getting just 32 carries. This year he has bulked up in case the coaching staff wants to use him the say way again.

“I’m up to 220 pounds right now and it feels better, especially since I was playing at 206 as a goal-line back last year. That alone made me want to add more weight and come in and be the biggest back on the team so if the coach does need somebody for that role, I can go in there and get the job done.”

Fason is not as concerned about his role with the team as much as he is trying to get the new offense down pat. He say’s that’s been his No. 1 priority in minicamps and training camp.

“I haven’t grasped everything yet,” he said. “Last year I was a rookie and had to learn an NFL offense for the first time and now, we have a new coaching staff, and I have to learn a new offense all over again. But it’s coming along. The more reps you run in practice, the better you get.”

Fason says coach Brad Childress’ version of the West Coast offense is very running back friendly. He also likes the offseason additions by the Vikings front office.

“This offense is going to be great for runners. We brought (Steve) Hutchinson in for a reason and the same with Tony Richardson. We’re going to run the ball a lot.

“We think everybody is going to get their chance to shine. I might have to wait for my opportuniy but, when it comes, I have to take advantage of it.”

Fason is also hoping to stay on the field more in passing situations. Johnson says the second-year runner has improved his stock in that aspect of the game.

“No. 1, he’s (improved) in his blitz pick-ups and that’s the No. 1 rule for a back,” Johnson said. “And then he catches the ball when you put him out in pass routes.

“He’s just getting a better feel for open running, open pass routes, option routes. He’s more of a slasher-type runner and he catches the ball when you give it to him.

His pass-catching abilities are a surprise to no one. In his final season at the University of Florda, Fason caught 42 passes. He also averaged 6.0 yards per rush and accumulated 1,267 yards on the ground.

Second-year running back Fason returns bigger, better

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Prophet Guest

Re: Ciatrick Fason returns bigger, better

I'm staying on the Fason bandwagon. Taylor, Moore, Fason, Echemandu. Bring it on.

SJHILL is offline Starter

Good read. I don't know how many carries he will have, but I hope he can be effective when given the chance.

nephilimstorm is offline Star Spokesman

I hope at least maybe he wont fumble when giving Taylor a break

The new moe williams?
    You republican whore!

Sweet. We now have two running backs big enough to ride on a roller coaster.

Seriously though, I think Fason will emerge as our top runner by the end of this season or next year, mostly because I'm not on the Taylor bandwagon...at all.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

fason for starting runningback 2006!
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Prophet Guest

"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    Sweet. We now have two running backs big enough to ride on a roller coaster...
    :lol:

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

I really like the potential of Fason. He's been the one guy a lot of us (including myself) have overlooked a lot of this offseason. It would be nice to have three good, healthy running backs on the roster.