Bowchee is offline Rookie

chuck at the line

After watching the preseason games, I expected a new, tougher look to the pass defense this year. Some of the better defenses in the league give the receivers a shot in the five yard zone, but the Vikes don't ever do that (unless I just haven't noticed). Opposing defenses have played Moss pretty well by chucking at the line. Why don't the Vikes deliver the hit once in awhile :?: :?:
    "Usually the team that scores the most points is going to win it." - John Madden

Del Rio Guest

Re: chuck at the line

I think last year it was a result of Ted's mutated dime package that he was in love with even taking into the prevent defense. Our guys were giving a huge cusion. They attempt to corral the reciever into a zone of the field not one on one. If it was man it was funky looking.

As far as preseason I don't know I refuse to think Ted will call the cushy d now, so I'm just gonna say they didn't want to break any nails.

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

I noticed that we dont press recievers at the line too. We give them like a 5 to 10 yard cushion on just about every down from what I have seen. That is probably so our corners don't get beat deep though. But than it is real easy for them to get beat on short button and in routes etc. It will be interesting how we play recievers this season.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Ted was talking so tough last year during training camp about how agressive our D was going to be, and then we played porbably the softest style of D in the league.

If he didn't have the players he needed, I can understand that. But this is a different group of players, and if we do not play an agressive D and beat up some people I am going to be pissed.

I would much rather we ballhawk, play man on man and blitz (a lot), than play a soft zone with a 10 yard cushion like last year!

Come on Ted, you were a big reason why we got a lot of the players we did, so trust them and let's kick some a$$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

6-KINGS Guest

If the Line can get quick pressure on the QB then the corners can chuck the WR's.
    If they did this without that line pressure the secondary would be swiss cheese.
    And I don't think our LB'rs are up to that kind of drop coverage challenge. FS and SS are but that is not enough.

6-KINGS

Skyliner is offline Rookie

I seen Winfield chuck few times this preseason. Brain William i've noticed always gives a big cushion.

PhxFan is offline Pro-Bowler

I agree, pros and cons to each style of play. I think we've done ok, seems it's always the, getting beat, a slip, definitely some poor tackling or just not recognizing the offensive play and calling the wrong D for that play in that situation...hope we're just not tipping our hand yet.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

i know winfield doesnt really need to press (although he is good at it) because he is great at keeping those short passes to a minimum and wrapping up right away, and brian williams didnt do it last week because he was covering a speed reciever.