Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Christian Ponder Speaks Truth, Catches Flak

My favorite part about this sort of thing is the reaction it elicits from people like the commenters on the Pro Football Talk story about the situation. Many of the comments are along the lines of "Oh, we're so sorry that you can't get paid millions of dollars to play a game. Go get a real job."

Here's the thing. . .Christian Ponder, and the other 253 players that were drafted two months ago, have jobs. The fact that they can't get paid for their jobs yet is not their fault. I mean, if we were talking about some guy that busted his tail for four years to get a degree in accounting and then the entire banking industry went on strike before he could find employment, would these same people be saying "Oh, I'm so sorry that you can't get paid to work at the local bank. Go get a real job."
    Sounds a lot like the anti-stadium whiners at places like the Star-Tribune's web site, to be honest. In both cases, short-sightedness seems to be overriding common sense

Two things......

I am getting to be a "Huge" Ponder fan. Can't wait for this kid to take the helm of the Vikings Longboat.

The author gets it. There are a few on here who kindof feel that players whine to much about demanding a paycheck that is beyond their comprehension.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Christian Ponder Speaks Truth, Catches Flak

I do sort of fell for SOME of the rookies, mainly some of the mid-later round ones, who might not be making huge money, but will get SOMETHING. Currently they have nothing.

I saw an interview with Ponder a while ago, and he said he got a bunch of money he's been living off of from rookie card signings, but it's not a lot.

However, I've gotta think, for alot of these top round picks, could they not get a loan to cover their living expenses for the summer? Cover the cost of training, flying to workouts/NFL events like the Symposium, and room/board. I mean, Ponder will get some good guaranteed money as a #12 overall Quarterback. I think he'll be able to repay a loan in the next year, even less.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Christian Ponder Speaks Truth, Catches Flak

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1100013
    My favorite part about this sort of thing is the reaction it elicits from people like the commenters on the Pro Football Talk story about the situation. Many of the comments are along the lines of "Oh, we're so sorry that you can't get paid millions of dollars to play a game. Go get a real job."

Here's the thing. . .Christian Ponder, and the other 253 players that were drafted two months ago, have jobs. The fact that they can't get paid for their jobs yet is not their fault. I mean, if we were talking about some guy that busted his tail for four years to get a degree in accounting and then the entire banking industry went on strike before he could find employment, would these same people be saying "Oh, I'm so sorry that you can't get paid to work at the local bank. Go get a real job."
    Sounds a lot like the anti-stadium whiners at places like the Star-Tribune's web site, to be honest. In both cases, short-sightedness seems to be overriding common sense

Two things......

I am getting to be a "Huge" Ponder fan. Can't wait for this kid to take the helm of the Vikings Longboat.

The author gets it. There are a few on here who kindof feel that players whine to much about demanding a paycheck that is beyond their comprehension.
    While I won't bash Ponder for his comments, I disagree about the author. I think he's another drone.

Think about it, his defense hinges on this quote:

I mean, if we were talking about some guy that busted his tail for four years to get a degree in accounting and then the entire banking industry went on strike before he could find employment, would these same people be saying "Oh, I'm so sorry that you can't get paid to work at the local bank. Go get a real job."
    The answer to his question is, "Yes, we would".

The entire manufacturing sector has been virtually wiped out by NAFTA and similar acts, but no one wants to hear guys who spent 8, 10, 15, or 20 years on a line bitching about how they unfairly lost their lobs. No one says, "Oh, it isn't your fault...we should be sympathetic". Nope, they say, "Get up off your ass and get another job".

Same thing applies here.

It wasn't my fault that General Motors shipped production of their SUV's to Mexico, closed our local plant, and cost me my job. I showed up and did what I was asked to do. They left. But no one would think it was a wise play for me to sit tight and wait for them to return....

...I had to reinvent myself. And I did.

Ponder, and the other Rookies, have a light at the end of their tunnels. And if they can't make it on Mom & Dad's nickle a little longer, then they should find another job. I hear McDonald's is still hiring...

This isn't shortsightedness, this is REALITY. The author appears to be pretty out of touch with it.

Caine