Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11
    Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    629
    I got a spreadsheet for ya ...



    One thing is for sure, no matter what the situation is, Ponder has been consistent. Nearly a 100 rating in every category, so it's hard to complain.

    55 of his 62 pass attempts are listed as short though so I'm still skeptical about his arm strength. Do they throw short so often because they know his arm is weak or is it because we lack a real deep threat receiver?

  2. #12
    Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    629
    Another thing that stands out is we appear to be shotgun happy. Especially on 3rd down. Only 1 pass play all year on 3rd down was from under center and we only have 4 rushing attempts on 3rd.

  3. #13
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
    I got a spreadsheet for ya ...



    One thing is for sure, no matter what the situation is, Ponder has been consistent. Nearly a 100 rating in every category, so it's hard to complain.

    55 of his 62 pass attempts are listed as short though so I'm still skeptical about his arm strength. Do they throw short so often because they know his arm is weak or is it because we lack a real deep threat receiver?
    First of all - Nice stat sheet! Love it!

    Couple of things I've noticed - we are passing a lot more in the second and fourth quarters than in the first and third.

    The short passing game is definitely a focus here. I think the reason for it is threefold: 1) We don't have any viable deep threats, 2) Ponder doesn't have the arm to zip a deep ball. he can get them there just fine (and fairly accurate too) but they will be slower, giving the defenders more time to react, and 3) our offense is built for the short game, not the long. That last point is an important one for me, and probably is as much of an effect from #1 and #2. But in that I like the fact that Musgrave is building an offense around the strengths of our players, not forcing the players to adapt to his preferred offense (aka. Childress).
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  4. #14
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,862
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    First of all - Nice stat sheet! Love it!

    Couple of things I've noticed - we are passing a lot more in the second and fourth quarters than in the first and third.

    The short passing game is definitely a focus here. I think the reason for it is threefold: 1) We don't have any viable deep threats, 2) Ponder doesn't have the arm to zip a deep ball. he can get them there just fine (and fairly accurate too) but they will be slower, giving the defenders more time to react, and 3) our offense is built for the short game, not the long. That last point is an important one for me, and probably is as much of an effect from #1 and #2. But in that I like the fact that Musgrave is building an offense around the strengths of our players, not forcing the players to adapt to his preferred offense (aka. Childress).
    The other thing I would add, is that I think they are intentionally calling a conservative passing game to build confidence with Ponder. For the deeper routes, if Ponder doesn't see clear separation, he is being told not to force it. This may be partly because of the concern over his arm strength, but I think its also about building him up at this point in his career.

  5. #15
    vikinggreg's Avatar
    vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    4,763
    The 3 step drop quick fire short passes also help the line and negate some of the pressure from blitz's

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Isanti, MN
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    The other thing I would add, is that I think they are intentionally calling a conservative passing game to build confidence with Ponder. For the deeper routes, if Ponder doesn't see clear separation, he is being told not to force it. This may be partly because of the concern over his arm strength, but I think its also about building him up at this point in his career.
    Good take. I have been wondering that myself.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

  7. #17
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,835
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    The other thing I would add, is that I think they are intentionally calling a conservative passing game to build confidence with Ponder. For the deeper routes, if Ponder doesn't see clear separation, he is being told not to force it. This may be partly because of the concern over his arm strength, but I think its also about building him up at this point in his career.
    Good Point. We also seem to be making better half-time adjustments so far. Perhaps? The coaches are learning and improving too...

    Gotta Love the 4th quarter stats after hearing the talking heads gush all over Eli last night!

    [QUOTEHe's led six scoring drives in the final quarter or overtime in two games, and he's taken command of this offense.][/QUOTE]

    Not bad for a guy with less than a year's starts! And, to continue the comparison, look at Eli's success on a well-balanced, do everything good enough to win team vs. Peyton's record on his all offense, all the time team. We're a lot more like the Giants than Peyton's Colts, and I like that...specially with Mr. All-Day Peterson!!!!

    BAAAHWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

    Let's hope we can at least put up a little fight this week!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  8. #18
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,906
    The delusion in this thread is atrocious.
    1. He is completing short passes because they are short and we played the 2 worst teams in the league.

    2. Harvin has proven to be more than just a screen catcher and plays an excellent deep ball. Goes up and gets it despite his size.

    3. We aren't throwing in the first quarter. Why? Every team expects us to come out and run it...so we come out and run it. Brilliant. Reminds me of the Waterboy....when the coach was designing plays and he had a play where the QB pretends to fake, lmao.

    4. Ponders does not complete deep passes. A combination of him, the Oline, WRs and play calling is to blame.

    5. We should let him loose earlier in the game and see what he have. This will make Peterson's life easier as well as take the load from carrying the team off of his freshly repaired knees.

    6. Signing a backup TE to a 25 million dollar contract was dumb, is dumb and will continue to be a dumb move for the next 5 years or when ever he is cut because he is making star money but giving out bench warmer production.

    7. M. Bennett was who i begged us to sign. He is tearing up the league...while our "elite" te has 0....you read that right....0 catches. Told you so to some of the posters here.

    8. I wonder if that 25 million should have gone to Grubbs contract adding some talent to our Oline. Grubbs and Kahil would be a nice blocking combo.

    9. We should have addressed WR before the 4th round... told you so

    10. Smith is a young saftey but I saw nothing that makes me think he was worthy of a 1st round pick and passing up on or another key player. We are still getting killed in this scheme. The cover two is a leagues whore everyone knows how to have their way with her.... told you so.

    11. We are now taking Kevin Williams out on 3rd downs.... why Baby Jesus.... why.... why does this staff, FO, GM, and owner have no clue.... Why can't we have an average passing game. We had one 1 year in the last 8 seasons. Why can't our 2nd WR ever show up in a game. Can we get our 2nd WR to have more than 30 catches in a season? Why?........because X, Y, Z

    12. What pick will we make with our top pick this season? I am hoping for Robert Woods out of USC. In my dream situation... we would Take Woods, trade next years first and this years 3rd to selected Star Lotulelei and then draft either M'Teo to play MLB, or Reid at safety.

    Just like that we have the makings of a a damn good team. Use the 4th round to clean up a few spots like DE, OLB, and OL. We would be adding talent to our team and tossing the cover 2.

  9. #19
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    The delusion in this thread is atrocious.
    1. He is completing short passes because they are short and we played the 2 worst teams in the league.

    2. Harvin has proven to be more than just a screen catcher and plays an excellent deep ball. Goes up and gets it despite his size.

    3. We aren't throwing in the first quarter. Why? Every team expects us to come out and run it...so we come out and run it. Brilliant. Reminds me of the Waterboy....when the coach was designing plays and he had a play where the QB pretends to fake, lmao.

    4. Ponders does not complete deep passes. A combination of him, the Oline, WRs and play calling is to blame.

    5. We should let him loose earlier in the game and see what he have. This will make Peterson's life easier as well as take the load from carrying the team off of his freshly repaired knees.

    6. Signing a backup TE to a 25 million dollar contract was dumb, is dumb and will continue to be a dumb move for the next 5 years or when ever he is cut because he is making star money but giving out bench warmer production.

    7. M. Bennett was who i begged us to sign. He is tearing up the league...while our "elite" te has 0....you read that right....0 catches. Told you so to some of the posters here.

    8. I wonder if that 25 million should have gone to Grubbs contract adding some talent to our Oline. Grubbs and Kahil would be a nice blocking combo.

    9. We should have addressed WR before the 4th round... told you so

    10. Smith is a young saftey but I saw nothing that makes me think he was worthy of a 1st round pick and passing up on or another key player. We are still getting killed in this scheme. The cover two is a leagues whore everyone knows how to have their way with her.... told you so.

    11. We are now taking Kevin Williams out on 3rd downs.... why Baby Jesus.... why.... why does this staff, FO, GM, and owner have no clue.... Why can't we have an average passing game. We had one 1 year in the last 8 seasons. Why can't our 2nd WR ever show up in a game. Can we get our 2nd WR to have more than 30 catches in a season? Why?........because X, Y, Z

    12. What pick will we make with our top pick this season? I am hoping for Robert Woods out of USC. In my dream situation... we would Take Woods, trade next years first and this years 3rd to selected Star Lotulelei and then draft either M'Teo to play MLB, or Reid at safety.

    Just like that we have the makings of a a damn good team. Use the 4th round to clean up a few spots like DE, OLB, and OL. We would be adding talent to our team and tossing the cover 2.
    Nice. A little under half of your post was actually relevant to the post topic...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  10. #20
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Christian Ponder - NFL's Leader In Completion Percentage

    Lol

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •