Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Christian Ponder named backup QB for the Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1107702
    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1107699
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1107693
    Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1107688
    Frazier talked about it on Vikings weekly. I think they are calling it the Blazer formation, or blazer offense. (referencing Joe Webb's college team).

I think Webb would really be a triple threat, run, pass, catch. I think they are going to work really hard to get Webb involved.
    Interesting. Never heard it called that yet.

I like that they want to get him involved, but I sure hope they don't get him hurt.

I think he is more important to the team as it relates to QB play vice the "Blazer Formation".
    If he can't run a play or two a game without getting hurt he will never be a reliable QB.
    Frazier said in no uncertain terms that Webb will be used in a wildcat like role this year, adding more plays as the season goes along(I think the shortened offseason probably hurt Webb's role in the offense a bit).
    As usual, good stuff. Your probably right on the possible risk to injury.

Your last comment kindof perks my interest. I never thought of that aspect.....Are you saying it hurt his more than Ponders?

Truth be told, I would have thought that Joes one year in a NFL Level WCO would have given him the leg up on the new scheme over Ponder.
    I think he's getting at that it would have been easier for Musgrave to institute a fuller set of Webb-only plays if he'd had the full off-season to work with him.

I really like this move - you get Ponder the reps in practice as the #2, while giving Webb the opportunity to see the field on game days. Both progress, albeit at different paces.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1107708
    Frazier talked about it on Vikings weekly. I think they are calling it the Blazer formation, or blazer offense. (referencing Joe Webb's college team).

I think Webb would really be a triple threat, run, pass, catch. I think they are going to work really hard to get Webb involved.

I like that they want to get him involved, but I sure hope they don't get him hurt.

I think he is more important to the team as it relates to QB play vice the "Blazer Formation".
    If he can't run a play or two a game without getting hurt he will never be a reliable QB.
    Frazier said in no uncertain terms that Webb will be used in a wildcat like role this year, adding more plays as the season goes along(I think the shortened offseason probably hurt Webb's role in the offense a bit).

Your last comment kindof perks my interest. I never thought of that aspect.....Are you saying it hurt his more than Ponders?

Truth be told, I would have thought that Joes one year in a NFL Level WCO would have given him the leg up on the new scheme over Ponder.
    I think he's getting at that it would have been easier for Musgrave to institute a fuller set of Webb-only plays if he'd had the full off-season to work with him.

I really like this move - you get Ponder the reps in practice as the #2, while giving Webb the opportunity to see the field on game days. Both progress, albeit at different paces.

=Z=
    Awwww, I thought he was going down the discussion point of being a QB in the scheme.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

It's not Webb's development that is going to limit his role, it is the the development of the playbook. With the limited time available the coaches have to focus on the basics of the playbook, with less time available to work on a few plays just for Webb. From what I've read teams that put in a wildcat package have to commit a lot of practice time to it.
    I can't find the video of Frazier talking about the Blazer offense, but I'll keep looking.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1107724

It's not Webb's development that is going to limit his role, it is the the development of the playbook. With the limited time available the coaches have to focus on the basics of the playbook, with less time available to work on a few plays just for Webb. From what I've read teams that put in a wildcat package have to commit a lot of practice time to it.
    I can't find the video of Frazier talking about the Blazer offense, but I'll keep looking.
    No need to find it. Topic is interesting enough without it.

I think I'm tracking with what your saying now, but you don't mean the staffs development of the playbook, but rather the players learning the aspects of it.

The lockout shouldn't have hurt the staff from working what they wanted to run when it came to plays of this nature. Maybe there might have been questions about who they might have to run (especially considering they had Webb under contrac) them, but I think they could've still developed them.

Again, very interesting stuff.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123