singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Chris Kluwe: Going the right direction

[size=13pt]Chris Kluwe: Going the right direction[/size]
    Chris Kluwe proved he was healthy. Then he proved he could kick to the corners. And with that he kicked his competition to the curb.

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: September 07, 2006 – 5:54 PM

Chris Kluwe had offseason surgery on his anterior cruciate ligament that left him unable to punt at full strength until training camp. The Vikings then signed free agent John Torp and spent summer workouts getting a long look at the rookie.
    And when Kluwe was able to begin booting footballs, he had to work on the directional style that new special teams coordinator Paul Ferraro wants to use.

So how did Kluwe handle what would could be considered a healthy dose of professional adversity? In typical Kluwe fashion: It didn't seem to faze him one bit.

Torp was cut before the Vikings even broke training camp in Mankato, and Kluwe has continued to boom the ball just as he did last season. The only difference is that he's now doing it toward the sideline instead of down the middle of the field.

"Mainly now it's just getting it down so that every punt is outside the numbers, in between the numbers and the sideline," Kluwe said. "Just making sure I have as much hang time on those punts as I do on my normal ones down the center of the field. That way it gives our gunners that much more time to get down there and cover."

Ferraro has been pleased.

"He's doing a nice job with it," Ferraro said. "He's very technical. Punting the football is technical, and some guys are better at seeing their mistakes than others. Chris, when he makes a mistake, he knows exactly what that is and what he needs to do on that next repetition."

Kluwe was one of the Vikings' best finds last season, having been claimed off waivers from Seattle shortly before the regular season started. The rookie finished ranked second in the NFC and sixth in the NFL with a gross average of 44.1 yards per punt. His statistics likely would have been better had he remained healthy the whole year.

Kluwe suffered a torn ACL in December against Detroit and missed the next week's game against St. Louis. Kluwe returned but finished the season at far less than 100 percent.

He expects to be that much better this season not only because his knee is healthy but because of experience.

"That helps a lot," Kluwe said. "Just knowing that when you go out on the field, 'Hey, I can do this.' ... I think if you talk to other guys, it's the same way. Like after that first year, once you start getting that experience out on the field you know you can compete at that level and it makes it easier to do so."

Judd Zulgad • [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikingbill50 is offline Starter

Re: Chris Kluwe: Going the right direction

i was really impressed with him last season, a very good pickup for us and had a very good average, he is starting out again this year looking better than ever and i think he will be one the best punters in the league at end of season
    I BLEED THE COLOR PURPLE

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I hope that this year's pickup from Seattle proves to be as good as Kluwe was in our last one.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

thevikingfan is offline Hall of Famer

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I hope that this year's pickup from Seattle proves to be as good as Kluwe was in our last one.
    are u talking about maurice mann?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"thevikingfan" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    are u talking about maurice mann?
    He was refering to Hutch I believe.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

im really glad he's back to how he was last year |(if not better), he was definatly one of the biggest surprises for us last year

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese