Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Hovan

Re: Chris Hovan

The only thing he did was alienate himself from his teamates, did all the little things to get himself benched, and lose tons of respect along the way! One of the best DT in the NFL? Ughh,no. I agree the guy had a motor that didn't quit, too bad it was a Yugo motor!! He is a millionare, great for him. Seriously,no joke. The question I posed was ,was this guy over-hyped, and by the sound of it ,he was!
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Chris Hovan is one of the best defensive tackles in the NFL at doing all the little things that make his team better.

He suffered from playing under an idiot of a coach that held grudges and tried to turn him into something he never was.

Tampa Bay loves em, he's getting a new contract. His teamates love him, the coaches love him, because he is solid at mainting gap assignments.

People look down the list of stats and judge of that. If it doesn't sparkle, it must be worthless.

It's just nonsense. The real joke is on you though. At the end of the day the guy is a millionaire playing football in the nfl on a high enough level to be praised by teamates and coaching staff of one of the best defenses in the entire league.

So someone saying.......he SUCKS DUDE!!! just really doesn't mean pooh.
    Too bad he couldn't do the main things that make defensive tackles good, such as actually getting off blocks and making tackles. He got pushed around all day in his last couple years here.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Del Rio" wrote:
    Chris Hovan is one of the best defensive tackles in the NFL at doing all the little things that make his team better.

He suffered from playing under an idiot of a coach that held grudges and tried to turn him into something he never was.

Tampa Bay loves em, he's getting a new contract. His teamates love him, the coaches love him, because he is solid at mainting gap assignments.

People look down the list of stats and judge of that. If it doesn't sparkle, it must be worthless.

It's just nonsense. The real joke is on you though. At the end of the day the guy is a millionaire playing football in the nfl on a high enough level to be praised by teamates and coaching staff of one of the best defenses in the entire league.

So someone saying.......he SUCKS DUDE!!! just really doesn't mean pooh.

WTF!

Del, apparently you & I are the only two here who liked Hovan. Like Del stated "He suffered from playing under an idiot defensive coach" who didn't know what the fuck he was doing.

He basicly untrained Hovan. He took a solid player that reeked havoc with offensive lines & forced him to change his tactics & fundementals which made his play suffer.

Hovan would be the 1st to tell you it was his D-coach & has stated that fact to the media on more than one osccasion.

P-Will only had 6 more solo tackles than Chris in 2005, yet they praise P-Will & say Hovan sucked or was mediocre.

If he sucked so bad & was so mediocre, why is it he's doubled teamed everytime he's in the game.

Do you people actually expect me to believe that offensive lines double team him because he's mediocre at best?

I have seen this time after time on this site. People will hang all over a players jock when he's on the team, but the minute he gets cut loose they do a 180 & say good ridance the guy sucked anyway, never liked him or make some other lame excuse.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

"nogathomasmillarddoleman" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    Whack...

He did good at NT for being a smaller guy.. Pat Williams only had 1 and a half sacks and ppl wanted him to be in the pro bowl?
    PW was a major disruptive force in the middle stuffin' and blowin' up the run consistently. Hovan got ran over. I like his motor though; he's just undersized.
    Is that why Hovan only had 6 less solo tackles than P-Will? :wink:

He didn't recieve double teams on the "bench"! And once K.Williams started, he recieved the double teams,not Hovan. This is turning ugly, all I asked when I opened this topic was if he recieved too much hype. It seems alot of fans were not happy with his play.
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

I think Hovan really needed a change of scenery. When he came in here, he was a minor success and a fan-favourite playing alongside such pereniall All-Pros like Fred Robbins and Kenny Mixon.

When he wasn't producing (whether or not it was because Tice "untrained" him or he just forgot to play football) everybody jumped all over him, and this just made it worse.

Basically he had to go. Staying here would do nothing to his career, so he made the smart choice and went somewhere he was given the chance to prove what he is worth.

I'm glad he's doin well, sorry it's not for the Vikings, and glad that the Vikings will win the Super Bowl before the Bucs!

Thanks PPE for the sig.

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Hovan was overrated big time, He will never be as good as Pat Williams Or Kevin Williams. Hovan is at best an average DT he has the motor and agility for a DT but not the strength nor will power. When you watch him play he gets knocked down...Alot more times than none like he has no heart to even play.

When he was with the Vikes he did Ok but he missed alot of tackles and allowed runners to break into the secondary which was bad cause we had probably one of the worst tackling secondarys of all time (With the exception of Winfield but he was hurt most of the year).

He didn't have a good teacher to guide him and hone his skill. So pretty much failed...But yeah it was great that we let him go, Phat Pat was the best Acquisition last off-season then comes Darren Sharper. Why?

Well because his stats may be low, But if you look what he brought to the table this season, He brought size power and disruptiveness to our D-Line and made it hard for opposing O-lines to handle. That's one of the reasons why our D against the run this season was vastly improved. (Well if you exclude the first 4-5 games)

Next season...Our D-line will be Unreal You got... K. Will and Pat Williams with Johnson subbing.

Udeze and James on the ends With Scott and Johnstone subbing every now and then. If they all stay healthy...WOW can we say best D-line in the league?

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Nah Singer I like Hovan too..

He takes too much shit from people around here who are most likley overweight and just sit on thier couch drinking beer and screaming at people like Hovan..

Screw all u haters.. He is a good guy and doesn't deserve all the trash he takes.. He just goes out and gives it 110 percent and that's why i like the dude

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

One of the defensive players of the Bucs was asked "Who is the biggest difference maker on your defense this year?" and he replied "Hovan."

Did anyone see the first game of the season the Bucs had against us last year?
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

"happy camper" wrote:
    One of the defensive players of the Bucs was asked "Who is the biggest difference maker on your defense this year?" and he replied "Hovan."

Did anyone see the first game of the season the Bucs had against us last year?
    I did. I was there!

He was a victim of poor coaching by the D line coordinator.

I believe that's one reason K-Will's production dropped as well.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast