Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19

Thread: Chris Cook

  1. #11
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Agreed.
    I'm not sure what games the others are seeing but what I see is a guy that is slow in his transition from back peddle to attacking the ball. He gives up a lot of completions and if others would join the negative nancy's in the chat on game day...they would see his name called often.

    Yes the guy is young, however, I believe he was brought in to transition into a starter role (I consider the nickle role as a starter in our defense although we move our starters around in coverage) Will his anticipation improve with reps? possible, however, teams don't bench good Cbs and trade them either. Fraiser likes having big Cbs and the combo of Cook ( 6'2) and Jefferson (6'1) has him drooling.
    His coverage has been ok if he could get his head around and look for the ball. He has been a little better the last 2 games, but the Vikings could really use a good cornerback in next years draft.
    BTW (to Marty), Robinson will never be a run stopper like Winfield. He does play off in pass coverage like Winfield though.

  2. #12
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,910
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    His coverage has been ok if he could get his head around and look for the ball. He has been a little better the last 2 games, but the Vikings could really use a good cornerback in next years draft.
    BTW (to Marty), Robinson will never be a run stopper like Winfield. He does play off in pass coverage like Winfield though.
    Robinson is good against the run.

  3. #13
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Robinson is good against the run.
    Gotta agree, cat gets under a blocker just like Whinny does. Give him as many reps as Whinny and you won't even know the difference other than Rob can cover.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #14
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Agreed.
    I'm not sure what games the others are seeing but what I see is a guy that is slow in his transition from back peddle to attacking the ball. He gives up a lot of completions and if others would join the negative nancy's in the chat on game day...they would see his name called often.

    Yes the guy is young, however, I believe he was brought in to transition into a starter role (I consider the nickle role as a starter in our defense although we move our starters around in coverage) Will his anticipation improve with reps? possible, however, teams don't bench good Cbs and trade them either. Fraiser likes having big Cbs and the combo of Cook ( 6'2) and Jefferson (6'1) has him drooling.
    Anyone can see issues with DB play, especially DB's that only have a bit less than 2 years of starts.

    Does he have issue? Yes, but given time I think those will go away.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #15
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928
    Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    His coverage has been ok if he could get his head around and look for the ball. He has been a little better the last 2 games, but the Vikings could really use a good cornerback in next years draft.
    BTW (to Marty), Robinson will never be a run stopper like Winfield. He does play off in pass coverage like Winfield though.
    Give him some more time old friend. He has shown that he can get in under the tackle and I absolutely love it when they bring him off the short slot to the QB (ala Whinny).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #16
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Give him some more time old friend. He has shown that he can get in under the tackle and I absolutely love it when they bring him off the short slot to the QB (ala Whinny).
    His speed could make him something special, so I hope you are right.

  7. #17
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,869
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I don't know... It seems like every time there was a completion for a first down it was to the WR that Jefferson was covering. And I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that Robinson was lined up #1 most of the time, with Jefferson playing #2 and Winny at nickle. Of course a little motion changes all of that when we are in a zone - but we played a decent amount of man this year too.

    I think that opposing QBs know that Jefferson is the weakest link in the secondary and were targeting him.

    Regardless, I am glad to have Cook back in the line up.
    When I've watched Jefferson I've noticed he generally does have good coverage. Where I find him lacking is in making a play on the ball. I've seen plenty of depth DB's on this team that are woeful in both aspects. A lot of the completions made against Jefferson are simply good plays by the receiver. The good QB's with strong receivers will go after him even if he has coverage and he needs to start making more plays on the ball.

    In terms of lining up against the #1. The Vikings do tend to leave the corners on one side and they pick up whoever lines up against them. So both Robinson and Jefferson have been seeing a fair amount of #1 WR coverage.

    Robinson has been far from stellar as well, but he is holding his own for a rookie and seems to be a good pickup.

    I maintain that Jefferson is a good depth DB that is holding up better than Burton or Sherels would in the same position. The coaches must agree

  8. #18
    smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    885
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    When I've watched Jefferson I've noticed he generally does have good coverage. Where I find him lacking is in making a play on the ball. I've seen plenty of depth DB's on this team that are woeful in both aspects. A lot of the completions made against Jefferson are simply good plays by the receiver. The good QB's with strong receivers will go after him even if he has coverage and he needs to start making more plays on the ball.

    In terms of lining up against the #1. The Vikings do tend to leave the corners on one side and they pick up whoever lines up against them. So both Robinson and Jefferson have been seeing a fair amount of #1 WR coverage.

    Robinson has been far from stellar as well, but he is holding his own for a rookie and seems to be a good pickup.

    I maintain that Jefferson is a good depth DB that is holding up better than Burton or Sherels would in the same position. The coaches must agree
    He has better man coverage skills than Cook. If he can just get his head around to look for the ball, he could be a starter. He was shaky at first but is improving.
    He will be a quality back up with potential to become a starter.

  9. #19
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1
    Too bad we couldn't have gotten Jenoris Jenkins.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •