Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Cook

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Chris Cook

To be honest I didn't think he was coming back this year at all and didn't know he was playing until I saw him on the field.

How instrumental was he in making the defense better yesterday? It seems having him back made the team look more like it was playing before he went down.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    To be honest I didn't think he was coming back this year at all and didn't know he was playing until I saw him on the field.

How instrumental was he in making the defense better yesterday? It seems having him back made the team look more like it was playing before he went down.
    It means we don't have to give a guy like Sherels or Burton significant playing time.

Without him we were looking like Jefferson, Robinson, Winfield, then Sherels or Burton as our depth. That won't cut it.

He missed a couple plays, but otherwise played pretty well, especially for his first game back.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    I'm not worried about Burton... Jefferson = Mr. completion... is my biggest worry.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I'm not worried about Burton... Jefferson = Mr. completion... is my biggest worry.
    Agreed.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    I actually think he plays pretty good for the most part. Definitely not starter material, but nice depth and isn't that what we were really looking for when we added him?

Besides, he really has only 2 years of game experience out of his 3 years. This cat is still learning the game. Next year (3 years experience) we should still see some improvement out of him.

Again, I liked the signing then and I still like the player.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I actually think he plays pretty good for the most part. Definitely not starter material, but nice depth and isn't that what we were really looking for when we added him?

Besides, he really has only 2 years of game experience out of his 3 years. This cat is still learning the game. Next year (3 years experience) we should still see some improvement out of him.

Again, I liked the signing then and I still like the player.
    Have to agree with you Marrdro. I though Jefferson has actually played pretty solid for what was expected. When he was filling in for Cook, he quite often lined up against their #1 receiver and did a fairly decent job I thought.

I have no problem with this guy being on the roster as a depth DB. Much better than many of the folks we have lined up over the last 5+ years. I think it was a good move by Spielman. I don't think Burton or Sherels would hold up near as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Have to agree with you Marrdro. I though Jefferson has actually played pretty solid for what was expected. When he was filling in for Cook, he quite often lined up against their #1 receiver and did a fairly decent job I thought.

I have no problem with this guy being on the roster as a depth DB. Much better than many of the folks we have lined up over the last 5+ years. I think it was a good move by Spielman. I don't think Burton or Sherels would hold up near as well.
    I'm not writing Sherels off. He has come in on spot duty and did pretty good as well, all things considered (doesn't get the reps with starters/doesn't get game time experience etc etc). I think he really gives us a nice depth on the roster behind our KOFF guy and as a DB along with his primary duty of Punt returner, which I think he is great at.

Burton, I just can't tell. Haven't seen enough of him so that probably means the coaches consider him expendable. Let him go and add a Marc Anthony in the 5th and see if he can stay healthy.

Watched that cat play once this year. Brings a S feel to the CB position (ala Whinny).
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post

I don't know... It seems like every time there was a completion for a first down it was to the WR that Jefferson was covering. And I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that Robinson was lined up #1 most of the time, with Jefferson playing #2 and Winny at nickle. Of course a little motion changes all of that when we are in a zone - but we played a decent amount of man this year too.

I think that opposing QBs know that Jefferson is the weakest link in the secondary and were targeting him.

Regardless, I am glad to have Cook back in the line up.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    I don't know... It seems like every time there was a completion for a first down it was to the WR that Jefferson was covering. And I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that Robinson was lined up #1 most of the time, with Jefferson playing #2 and Winny at nickle. Of course a little motion changes all of that when we are in a zone - but we played a decent amount of man this year too.

I think that opposing QBs know that Jefferson is the weakest link in the secondary and were targeting him.

I'm with NP here. We don't use our best CB on their best WR very much. For the most part the guys cover whoever lines up across from them.

As to AJ being targeted as the weak link, I saw alot of Whinny guys catching balls for first downs as well with LB'rs and the outside guys (AJ and Rob) helping out on the tackling.

In the end, its a scheme thing. If the defense is going to give up yardage for a first by playing our DB's off, they will get the first which brings me back to my Warpig discussion.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post

Agreed.
    I'm not sure what games the others are seeing but what I see is a guy that is slow in his transition from back peddle to attacking the ball. He gives up a lot of completions and if others would join the negative nancy's in the chat on game day...they would see his name called often.

Yes the guy is young, however, I believe he was brought in to transition into a starter role (I consider the nickle role as a starter in our defense although we move our starters around in coverage) Will his anticipation improve with reps? possible, however, teams don't bench good Cbs and trade them either. Fraiser likes having big Cbs and the combo of Cook ( 6'2) and Jefferson (6'1) has him drooling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast