Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Chris Carr Will Compete for No. 3 CB Spot

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Followed a couple of links in the LB thread and was wondering how he may fit in as a 3rd CB with us.

Rams' James Laurinaitis headed for free agency - NFL.com

Speaking of roster holdovers, wide receiver Brandon Gibson ($1 million salary and cap number) and the previously mentioned Fletcher ($1.202 million salary) could be pushed off the roster.
    And a Rams site last year

Bradley Fletcher can tackle - Turf Show Times

Evidence continues to pile up demonstrating that St. Louis Rams CB Bradley Fletcher is becoming a bona fide stud at the position. Today's exhibit comes via Football Outsiders and their game charting data which reveals that Fletcher is one of the surest tacklers among the league's defensive backs.

He is coming off another ACL though
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries
    Just remember that with our defense - the 3rd spot likely is the outside spot where you match up with the 2nd reciever from the other team because Winfield who is likely to start will cover the nickle.

We need a good season from him and Josh Robinson in order to have a chance in this division.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    I won't be surprised if Whinny isn't the starter this year. Again, lets remember that Cook and Whinny play the same side of the field. Whinny sucks in pass coverage. We have a glut of RCB's that could/should start on that side especially Carr.

NFL Videos: Carr picks off Schaub

I think we will see alot of Carr (RCB) and Cook (LCB) during preseason with Whinny coming in on nickle and dime packages, just like we did with Cook and Griffin when Griff was on the field.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

smegmavike is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    I won't be surprised if Whinny isn't the starter this year. Again, lets remember that Cook and Whinny play the same side of the field. Whinny sucks in pass coverage. We have a glut of RCB's that could/should start on that side especially Carr.

I think we will see alot of Carr (RCB) and Cook (LCB) during preseason with Whinny coming in on nickle and dime packages, just like we did with Cook and Griffin when Griff was on the field.
    The Vikings defense is all about not giving up the big play. The CB allows the catch underneath then makes the tackle. I've seen you say that several times in the past.
    Winfield is the most reliable tackler we've had for awhile.
    So which is it, you don't like the system or just don't like Winfield?

Quote Originally Posted by smegmavike View Post
    The Vikings defense is all about not giving up the big play. The CB allows the catch underneath then makes the tackle. I've seen you say that several times in the past.
    Winfield is the most reliable tackler we've had for awhile.
    So which is it, you don't like the system or just don't like Winfield?
    I don't like the system and my comment on Whinny has nothing to do with like or dislike. I've seen him give up the catch and still not be able to make the tackle because he was to far behind.

Is he a sure tackler? Sure, but that is normally only in run support, that is what he is known for. As a pass defender he has always been suspect, and now that he is getting up there, it is even worse.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Is he a sure tackler? Sure, but that is normally only in run support, that is what he is known for. As a pass defender he has always been suspect, and now that he is getting up there, it is even worse.
    THANK YOU!!! I've said this since day one. Great tackler, below average in coverage. Not sure why people are so quick to overlook that.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    THANK YOU!!! I've said this since day one. Great tackler, below average in coverage. Not sure why people are so quick to overlook that.
    He is not below average in coverage. Is he an elite shut down corner? No, but he is a solid coverage corner.
    Of course this is ignoring the fact that he was/is an elite/great zone corner. Two different skillsets and its not just about tackling. Zone corners have a knack on break on the ball to disrupt the pass. Man coverage is a bout fluidity and timing the jump, rip, tackle to disrupt the offensive player. Where is Marr to talk some sense in you guys when you need him?

Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Because most fans love the big play. Whinny has made a few of them the last 2 years or so. Truth is, its what finally got him a Pro-bowl nod (most likely the Panthers game).

I wish I had my game notes with me, I can't tell you how many times over the last 3 years I watched him run so far behind receivers running a 1 or a 2 route with the CB on the other side (or S) finally making the tackle.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

The Pukers just moved Woodson to safety. Maybe our coaches will see that and decide it may be a good move for Winfield also.

Charles Woodson lines up at Green Bay Packers safety - NFL.com
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast