singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Childress A Year Later

[size=13pt]Childress A Year Later [/size]

By Viking Update Staff

Posted Jun 17, 2007

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Childress A Year Later

Perhaps Childress took his biggest step toward becoming a good head coach in the NFL. Without bending over backwards and caving in to a player, he let it be known that he is willing to listen and understand where a player needs to be heard.
    This is what I was talking about when I said I hope Winfield set him straight on a few things.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Interesting quote:
    Perhaps Childress took his biggest step toward becoming a good head coach in the NFL. Without bending over backwards and caving in to a player, he let it be known that he is willing to listen and understand where a player needs to be heard.

A year ago, maybe none of this would have been possible or even attempted.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

I read that earlier.....good read.

Hopefully that all carries through to other aspects.
    A great leader will listen to those around him and make decisions based upon that input.
    In addition, a great leader will surround himself with great people, and not feel threatened by them.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    This is what I was talking about when I said I hope Winfield set him straight on a few things.
    Gottcha.
    I just got done reading this when I posted my comment to you in the other thread.

Kindof what set me off.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

vikingivan is offline Star Spokesman

Last year as a first year head coach it was important for Chili to establish who was in charge.
    He had to set the tone to do it his way or he might have been walked all over.
    Now you don't have to be like Tice where he let Moss do whatever he wanted, or like Les Steckel where the team quit on him half way through the season.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I am not sure how valid it is to compare Winfield's situation to Culpepper's though.
    I think that shopping Culpepper was the best thing that Childress could have done.
    Winfield's situation was different - not only is he healthy, but he doesn't have the "all about me" attitude that CP did.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

A good teacher learns from their mistakes. Brad has grown from his first year, and has taken the good and seperated the bad from his style. He has made his statement, gotten everyone's attention and now the team knows what to expect from Coach Childress.

This year all the schemes have already been put in..(a few tweaks on defense, but essentionaly the same C-2), and players know what the Chill wants too see.

Look for a vast improvement this year on our KAO. We now have a mobile QB, with a rocket arm, which I've just recently read it to be compare'd to a Brett Farve. We will be pushing the ball down field on 3rd downs now. No more dump passes on third and long, unless it's just not there to take.

I really think we can take the NFC North this year. We will score more points and our D will be better against the pass, and just as strong against the run.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

"vikingivan" wrote:
    Last year as a first year head coach it was important for Chili to establish who was in charge.
    He had to set the tone to do it his way or he might have been walked all over.
    Now you don't have to be like Tice where he let Moss do whatever he wanted, or like Les Steckel where the team quit on him half way through the season.
    My thoughts exactly!!
    I liked Tice, meathead or not.
    But, the team was somewhat out of control.
    Chilly came in and took charge as needed.
    DC whined his way out of town...Winfield has acted much more mature, (I still think the media built that whole thing out of thin air) and Brad seems to have opened up the communication lines some...lessons learned all around.
    Same system, second year has got to make everything easier on the coaches too...they're only teaching most of it to a few FAs and rookies, most of the team already knows the gameplan.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot