Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Childress wanted Favre to come out

Kevin Seifert on the Childress-Favre love-hate relationship this season...very interesting article. Childress had better take charge of this team.

[size=13pt]Six 'events' between Childress and Favre[/size]

The reports indicate Childress communicated plans to bench Favre in four games this season. The pair reportedly have also had two heated, private confrontations.

1. Date: Oct. 5
    Summary: Leading Green Bay by 10 points late in the fourth quarter, Favre audibled from a run to a pass. A deep throw to receiver Bernard Berrian fell incomplete, stopping the clock and incensing Childress. Offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell talked Childress out of pulling Favre from the game.

2. Date: Between Oct. 6 and Oct. 10.
    Summary: Favre confronted Childress about the incident in his office.

3. Date: Nov. 1
    Summary: Favre changed a third-down run play into a pass at Green Bay, throwing a 16-yard touchdown to Berrian. Childress again has to be talked out of pulling Favre from the game.

4. Date: Nov. 15
    Summary: Childress was unhappy with Favre’s play in a 27-10 defeat of Detroit and wanted to replace him with backup Tarvaris Jackson.

5. Date: Dec. 20
    Summary: Childress approached Favre about removing him from a 7-6 game in the third quarter. Favre refused and Childress left him in the game.

6. Date: Dec. 20
    Summary: Childress directs a private, profanity-laced response toward Favre after the game in the Vikings’ locker room.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    This board would be more fun if the Vikings were 0-14.
    It would be something alright... I have a feeling C Mac would be happier, knowing he was right.
    Well... I'm still right about Favre's late season decline.

But 0-14? Well, at least we wouldn't have to deal with Childress anymore.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

[size=13pt]Favre-Childress clash smolders[/size]

Childress, according to sources, was livid with Favre after Sunday's game, but that was because the quarterback elected to tell the media about what had transpired with the coach and not because of his performance.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

VikingMike wrote:
    [size=13pt]Favre-Childress clash smolders[/size]

Childress, according to sources, was livid with Favre after Sunday's game, but that was because the quarterback elected to tell the media about what had transpired with the coach and not because of his performance.
    A Packers player sounding pretty smart...

LeRoy Butler:
    "Everybody in Minnesota knows that Brett Favre is running that organization," Butler said. "When the head coach leaves and goes and picks him up in his SUV, and brings him to the facility, everyone knows who's running the Minnesota Vikings. So I'm not surprised Brett won out. If the coach says to come out of the game, you come out of the game. ...

"Brett should have said. 'OK, I'm taking a lot of hits, I'll come out of the game.' He doesn't want to do that. You can't show your coach up like that. It's 80 percent Brett's fault, but it's 20 percent Childress' fault. He let it happen. ... It was just a matter of time before it happened."

lol... so true, only I put 80% of it on Childress. He can't be so spineless.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Formo is offline Team Alumni

Weird.. I read that they talked it over and there are no issues at all between the two, and the team is 100% focused on Monday Night.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8152f61e&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Peppers and the rest of the Panthers' defensive front pounded on Favre so much that, with the Vikings up 7-6 in the third quarter, Minnesota coach Brad Childress wanted to remove his quarterback from the game rather than continue to expose him to more punishment. But Favre refused to come out, and later told reporters that he had established that with Childress in "a little heated discussion." Favre also made it clear he wasn't concerned about whether his coach was trying to protect him because his lone objective was "to win this ballgame. I want to stay in and do everything I can."

According to a source close to the Vikings, that version of the conversation was news to Childress, who was showering in another part of the dressing room during Favre's postgame media session. Afterward, when a member of the team's public relations staff relayed Favre's comments to the coach, he met with the quarterback and essentially asked, "What are you talking about? I talked with you about saving yourself. It wasn't about you playing or not playing (due to poor performance)." The two quickly resolved the matter, the source said, and there are no lingering hard feelings between them.
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

benjamite is offline Training Camp

I just want to know the sources of the St Paul Pioneer Press article. That started this entire discussion which in turn can have major locker room effects. What a serious dumbass. I'm so intrigued to see how this all plays out though. Everyone seems to have a different angle. I wonder when the truth will finally come out. When childress says things like...

"I think he probably gave you a stream of consciousness from the best of his recollection, wouldn't you say? Yeah," Childress said. "The great thing about telling the truth is you can tell it over and over again."

he kind of seems like that one ex girlfriend who you can never tell if they're telling the truth, and Favre is the media's new boy toy.
    wamp wamp.

Prophet wrote:
    I have heard all the arguments regarding starting QBs and when the backup should go in....etc. The old saying that the backup QB is always the hero.

The culture in the NFL has been to stick with the starter in most situations. Take other positions and people rotate in and out all the time.

In a situation where the QB is lackluster I don't see why they don't toss in a backup more often to see if anything happens. I thought it was warranted after the first series in the 3rd quarter of the Arizona game. What good is it to have, arguably, the most depth at QB of any franchise and not utilize it? Just because someone comes in when another is having a bad day it doesn't mean they take over the starting gig. Just putting in the best person on the roster that gives them the best chance of winning.

For some reason the NFL mentality is to leave the starter in at all costs for most games. The backup comes in after an injury, sometimes feigned. Does the average NFL QB have such a big ego that they can't handle having a career hack come in for a series to see if they can pull something out of their ass?

Yeah, start tossing out all the locker room schism arguments and all the tired arguments. I just find it hard to believe that a coaching staff is all about finding the best matchups on the 53 man roster while game planning and that doesn't include the QB usually. Most teams do not have the luxury of having a franchise QB or someone that is even an obvious starter, I mean, ah, well, look around the league. You have Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and maybe toss some pseudo good QBs in like Romo and Eli Manning and then you are left with a bunch of replacable hacks that maybe have it and maybe don't. Utilize the roster, including the QBs.

Very good post...it would take a guy like Bill Walsh to do something so contrary to the NFL culture. But I agree, why not replace a QB if he's having a bad day. IMO, replacing the key guy in a floundering offense sends a more important message than benching the LT or a guard.

[size=13pt]Bench Brett? No can do for Childress[/size]

The way it stands now, Childress is out of options. He can stick with Favre, or he can argue with Favre and then stick with him anyway. He made the choice in August. Sunday night was just the most flagrant reminder.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

VikingMike wrote:
    Kevin Seifert on the Childress-Favre love-hate relationship this season...very interesting article. Childress had better take charge of this team.
    Thanks for the read Mike.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

C Mac D wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Prophet wrote:
    This board would be more fun if the Vikings were 0-14.
    It would be something alright... I have a feeling C Mac would be happier, knowing he was right.
    Well... I'm still right about Favre's late season decline.

But 0-14? Well, at least we wouldn't have to deal with Childress anymore.
    Interesting. So you are still right if he plays well the next two weeks. I am confused. How are you right?

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast