Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Is Childress too conservative?

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "daftparrot" wrote:
    ha- if you had a dominant defense, dominant running game, and a QB whose most famous pass is the infamous 'jump shot'... you'd be conservative too.
    How many times did you see that happen last year?
    Seriously, how many and what was the circumstances behind it? :
    It only happened twice to my knowledge.
    But unfortunately both were on national television, which is why it became infamous...
    You weren't supposed to answer...... ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "daftparrot" wrote:
    ha- if you had a dominant defense, dominant running game, and a QB whose most famous pass is the infamous 'jump shot'... you'd be conservative too.
    How many times did you see that happen last year?
    Seriously, how many and what was the circumstances behind it? :
    It only happened twice to my knowledge.
    But unfortunately both were on national television, which is why it became infamous...
    You weren't supposed to answer...... ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    ;D
    Then don't ask the question. ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I think he was conservative simply because that is the strength of this team. The level of success varied greatly. I will say the games I hated the most were the games early in the year when we went away from our strength in an effort to cause a big play. If we had a Mike Martz or a Scott Linehan, our offense would not work at all.

In terms of future I don't see a reason to be less conservative unlike others. This team is built to grind out games and win close ones. It will be interesting to see what type of impact Berrian has on playcalling. Will we treat him as a primary weapon, or just throw him into the mix with the other WRs.

Also, I dread AD and CT in the same backfield. It will never work.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"V" wrote:
    I think he was conservative simply because that is the strength of this team. The level of success varied greatly. I will say the games I hated the most were the games early in the year when we went away from our strength in an effort to cause a big play. If we had a Mike Martz or a Scott Linehan, our offense would not work at all.

In terms of future I don't see a reason to be less conservative unlike others. This team is built to grind out games and win close ones. It will be interesting to see what type of impact Berrian has on playcalling. Will we treat him as a primary weapon, or just throw him into the mix with the other WRs.

I think he'll be utilized quite often. I know that Williamson saw quite a bit of deep balls the last couple of seasons, whether or not he caught them is another story. It will definitely be a run first offense, no question... but once Childress and Bevell get a better understanding of exactly what Berrian can do, we'll see him utilized quite a bit this season.

I can't wait to see Berrian #1 and Rice #2.... best receiving core we've had in a few years.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I'm not saying Childress is but after watching him the last couple of years I'm going to say "Yes, at times" I think he becomes too conservative in his play calling. I know, I know, I've seen him pull of a few good "trick" plays and for that I applaud him. But last year when defenses stacked the box to stop the run, I didn't see him do a lot to try and keep teams from doing that. I know, we didn't have the best passer in TJ or receivers, but I do remember that TJ threw a couple of "quick outs" in the Denver game and both were completed. Why didn't he do that more often? I know TJ panics a lot under pressure, but how hard is it to throw quick crossing patterns just over the linemen and in front of the linebackers, or passes out in the flat?
    I will concede that maybe he didn't feel he had the "horses" to make it work. But look at this...His opening plays usually are much less conservative but as the game goes on they become more and more conservative.
    I am maybe way off base here, but just food for thought. Many of you are much better at watching for things like this and I am.
    Nice post Cojo.
    I've spent the last couple of days with someone who works closely with the Vikes.
    According to him, you are 100% correct.
    In fact, Brad Childress puts his quarterbacks in a box, limiting their ability to adjust to defensive scheme adjustments made pre-snap...it is the main reason Brad Johnson left dodge.
    He does not give the QB freedom to change plays, and expects the team to execute the play sent in.
    We will see if he loosens the reigns on TJack, but, based on the discussion, I highly doubt it.
    Explains alot about QB choices, whether in FA, or the Draft IMO.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"MaxVike" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    I'm not saying Childress is but after watching him the last couple of years I'm going to say "Yes, at times" I think he becomes too conservative in his play calling. I know, I know, I've seen him pull of a few good "trick" plays and for that I applaud him. But last year when defenses stacked the box to stop the run, I didn't see him do a lot to try and keep teams from doing that. I know, we didn't have the best passer in TJ or receivers, but I do remember that TJ threw a couple of "quick outs" in the Denver game and both were completed. Why didn't he do that more often? I know TJ panics a lot under pressure, but how hard is it to throw quick crossing patterns just over the linemen and in front of the linebackers, or passes out in the flat?
    I will concede that maybe he didn't feel he had the "horses" to make it work. But look at this...His opening plays usually are much less conservative but as the game goes on they become more and more conservative.
    I am maybe way off base here, but just food for thought. Many of you are much better at watching for things like this and I am.
    Nice post Cojo.
    I've spent the last couple of days with someone who works closely with the Vikes.
    According to him, you are 100% correct.
    In fact, Brad Childress puts his quarterbacks in a box, limiting their ability to adjust to defensive scheme adjustments made pre-snap...it is the main reason Brad Johnson left dodge.
    He does not give the QB freedom to change plays, and expects the team to execute the play sent in.
    We will see if he loosens the reigns on TJack, but, based on the discussion, I highly doubt it.
    Explains alot about QB choices, whether in FA, or the Draft IMO.
    Thanks for the reply. Interesting stuff. While I agree that everyone needs to complete their assignment, I don't know of a QB that doesn't improvise from time to time, many times with great results. I know there was some talk a year ago about how Childress expects his players to do always follow the drawn up plays and in one game we won last year one or two of the players said they "improvised" on their blocking assignments with some good success. They must have been berated by Childress.
    Maybe he did that because he didn't have the personnel to "improvise." But I think he is being pretty rigid. I can only hope he listens to his players and gives them some freedom to be creative. I know there were times list year, especially with Cook and Birk when they missed their block they just stood there like they were "lost" as to what to do next. Not a good way to be.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"V" wrote:

I am not entire convinced that we will see that very often.
    I am looking forward to AD being in on passing plays though.
    Takes some of the predictability out of our offense.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

StillPurple is offline Hall of Famer

Yes. We run off-tackle and sweeps too much. We should mix it up. We call ourselves a "west coast offense" and then run the Packers 1967 offense with power sweeps. We should mix it up more and force the defense out of the box.

I actually think that most NFL teams are too conservative. There are some exceptions (Colts, Pats, etc.).

I do not think you win in the modern NFL by being conservative. The game is just too fast, and there are just too many ways for teams to beat you (special teams, etc.).

"StillPurple" wrote:
    Yes. We run off-tackle and sweeps too much. We should mix it up. We call ourselves a "west coast offense" and then run the Packers 1967 offense with power sweeps. We should mix it up more and force the defense out of the box.

I actually think that most NFL teams are too conservative. There are some exceptions (Colts, Pats, etc.).

I do not think you win in the modern NFL by being conservative. The game is just too fast, and there are just too many ways for teams to beat you (special teams, etc.).
    That, and you become predictable.
    If you run the same play on 2nd and 8 everytime it makes the D Cooridinator's job real easy!
    It only takes a couple of film studies and defences know how to stop you. Unpredictability gives D Coordinators ulcers

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123