Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Is Childress too conservative?

I'm not saying Childress is but after watching him the last couple of years I'm going to say "Yes, at times" I think he becomes too conservative in his play calling. I know, I know, I've seen him pull of a few good "trick" plays and for that I applaud him. But last year when defenses stacked the box to stop the run, I didn't see him do a lot to try and keep teams from doing that. I know, we didn't have the best passer in TJ or receivers, but I do remember that TJ threw a couple of "quick outs" in the Denver game and both were completed. Why didn't he do that more often? I know TJ panics a lot under pressure, but how hard is it to throw quick crossing patterns just over the linemen and in front of the linebackers, or passes out in the flat?
    I will concede that maybe he didn't feel he had the "horses" to make it work. But look at this...His opening plays usually are much less conservative but as the game goes on they become more and more conservative.
    I am maybe way off base here, but just food for thought. Many of you are much better at watching for things like this and I am.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Is Childress too conservative?

I think alot of it had to do with the fact that we did have a young QB and both young and new WRs on the field.
    Basicaly, we had an Offensive team that was young or, just being introduced to Chillys offense for the first year. In fewer cases, only for the second season.
    I think what we have all been seeing, and what the players have been learning and playing, is a very very small part of the whole Offensive play book.
    I expect to see the book gone into deeper this season and a whole lot more plays added to the gameday list.

Hold onto your hats boys and girls, we are in for a big show this season, and I'll love to see the first team who wants to try to stack the line on us.....I pitty the fool...

Thats my take anyways.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Let's not forget that Childress isn't calling the plays, Bevel is.
    But I know what you meant.

It is tough to say, but I tend to agree with Ned.
    I think the limitations of some of the players dictated how much of the book was open.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

I questioned whether the trick plays were also creative plays. But several worked.

One problem with a running team is, most runs don't go for long yards, especially early in the game. But if you pound and pound you will usually start to break some long runs.
    You just don't know if and when that is going to happen.

Against Washington Childress admitted they stuck with the run too long when it wasn't working.

But in the San Diego game,Peterson didn't have a whole lot of yards until the second half.

Hard to say when to keep pounding and when not to.

It doesn't appear very creative when it doesn't work, obviously.

There were games where it appeared we tried to pass. As I recall, that didn't work out so well.

Some of the games showed balance between passing and running. Unfortunately the passing was relatively ineffective.

If the passing game comes along this year, Childress will appear less conservative.

But it appears it is his nature.

I am an advocate of Childress not calling plays.Supposedly Bevel called plays last year.

I didn't see a lot of difference.

“What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"NodakPaul" wrote:

I think the limitations of some of the players dictated how much of the book was open.
    Brief and to the point... I agree.

I think we'll see the play book open-up a lot more this next season. I can't wait for August.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"C" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Brief and to the point... I agree.

I think we'll see the play book open-up a lot more this next season. I can't wait for August.
    We had a young Qb and was pretty young/ new to the offense at a lot of positions last year. I expect to see more wrinkles in the offense this year. Smoe more screens please?

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Once Troy proved inept (again) we really didn't have any other options to run deep. Besides maybe Rice, but with TJs accuracy issues on the deep ball were we safest to give the ball to the rookie of the year. Keep in mind that most of our games were pretty close too, no need to risk it all away.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Well I don't really believe he was limited in his play calling by the players and thier lack of experience.
    Also the whole idea that Bevell is calling the plays is horse shit.

We all know how much of a control freak and stubborn ole Baldy can be/is.

Screw that guy.
    Until we start to see a deep pass every 4th or 5th offensive play, I won't believe in this guy, his scheme or the QB he has running it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

You're going to see this playbook expand by about 100 pages when we start completing passes when we need to.

I actually had the opposite take. I thought we passed too much, especially early in the season when it was completely ineffective.
    Specifically, we passed way too much on 3rd-and-4-or-less considering we had 3 running backs that averaged about 5.5 yards/carry.

We did throw it more the last 3 weeks of the season - about 34 attempts/game.
    If we had done that over the entire season we would have been right around 16th or 17th in pass attempts, instead of dead last.
    But I assure you I'm not being completely illogical in being okay with it then and not earlier.
    At that point Tarvaris had put together a few good games and the running game was stalling a bit, so it made more sense.

I also thought Childress used the onside kick brilliantly several times, though the offense didn't make anything of it.
    The surprise onside kick is a beautiful play, and not a conservative one.

The one place I did think he was too conservative was not going for it on fourth down enough.
    When we had 4th-and-short at the fringes of the field goal/punt range - around the 40 - we punted it way too much.
    Terrible decision statistically speaking, and way too conservative.

As for what it'll be like next year...

"Mr" wrote:
    You're going to see this playbook expand by about 100 pages when we start completing passes when we need to.
    I completely agree with this statement.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast