Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Childress: There's room for Peterson to improve

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/15452061.html

The Vikings coach said his Pro Bowl back can improve his blocking and reads when searching for a hole and that he'd better get used to stacked defenses...
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Childress: There's room for Peterson to improve

Typical rookie RB improvement areas.

The stacked defenses will be there again next year....even as our passing game improves (at least I hope it does)

We are not a vertical offense anymore

I hope he gets his 2000 yards next year

I hope he gets a 2000 yrd season as well

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"It's here to stay," Childress said. "When Emmitt Smith was playing, same deal. [The Cowboys] were fortunate enough to have Michael Irvin and Troy Aikman, who were able to negate some of those eight-men fronts [through passing the ball]. That's what you have to be able to do at times

So realising that we don't have an Aikman/Irvin combo, then we can also assume that we'll be staying with a TJ/Rice/Wade combo, therefore the coaching staff will be working as well to get around the problem?
    Nice to see it realised after successive games that trying to shut down Peterson is 'here to stay'.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Childress
    should be better off talking about he areas he can improve in.
    For instance, if the entire leaugue knows that you take AD out on passing plays and you sub him in on 3 and 4....I think the defense will be keying on the run. His/ the coordinators play calling needs improvement. We need to run more screens. Marrdo and I have disagrreed about the complexity of running a screen in our offense but I still think that additional screens will help Tjack out.

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

yeah his play calling does suck
    i forget what game it was but it was one where ap was hurt and chester was in
    and chester stood further behind tjack when he was gonna run the ball then he would if they were passing, but childress never caught on but the d did, good job, work on yourself first chilly

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

The Dropper is offline Star Spokesman

"kevoncox" wrote:
    Childress
    For instance, if the entire leaugue knows that you take AD out on passing plays and you sub him in on 3 and 4....I think the defense will be keying on the run. His/ the coordinators play calling needs improvement. We need to run more screens. Marrdo and I have disagrreed about the complexity of running a screen in our offense but I still think that additional screens will help Tjack out.

Ever think that maybe the reason that AD isn't out there on passing downs is because he can't pass block and gives up sacks or forces Tarvaris to make bad throws?

I guess that's Childress's fault.

Suffice it to say that I hope to all hell that AD is working on his pass blocking exclusively this offseason. His running ability and his knack for hitting holes seems just fine. He could probably still get better at waiting for holes to develop, but nonetheless, by far the best thing he could do to help his running game improve is to help the Vikings' pass game improve so he stops facing 8-9 man fronts every down. The best way to do this is to pass block.

Screens are fine, but you can only run the same play so many times. Much better to strengthen the fundamentals. In this case, that would be pass blocking.

"The" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Childress

Ever think that maybe the reason that AD isn't out there on passing downs is because he can't pass block and gives up sacks or forces Tarvaris to make bad throws?

Suffice it to say that I hope to all hell that AD is working on his pass blocking exclusively this offseason. His running ability and his knack for hitting holes seems just fine. He could probably still get better at waiting for holes to develop, but nonetheless, by far the best thing he could do to help his running game improve is to help the Vikings' pass game improve so he stops facing 8-9 man fronts every down. The best way to do this is to pass block.

Screens are fine, but you can only run the same play so many times. Much better to strengthen the fundamentals. In this case, that would be pass blocking.
    Sorry my post got erased and I'm too tired to retype it but allow me to hit several points...

1) Childress is a green coach(2 years) ang he needs o improve just like our players
    2) AD is our best weapon. With the game on the line it's the head coaches job to get him on the field.
    3) Too many times we were down by less than a TD with the game on the line and Ad was on the sideline.
    4) Taking him out on passing plays and bringing him in only on obvious running situations is stupid and predictable.
    5) If he has a problem pass blocking, utilizing him as a receiver. Here's a hint, Shotgun two Rb. CT blocks, and AD runs patterns. Tjack has more time to pass due to not being under center. We can even run draws to CT out of the formation.
    6) Do something, anything but if we are doing the samething next year, we will not be successful. We have to adjust and our coachingstaff has to learn how to properly utilize all of our players abilities.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "The" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Childress

Sorry my post got erased and I'm too tired to retype it but allow me to hit several points...

1) Childress is a green coach(2 years) ang he needs o improve just like our players
    2) AD is our best weapon. With the game on the line it's the head coaches job to get him on the field.
    3) Too many times we were down by less than a TD with the game on the line and Ad was on the sideline.
    4) Taking him out on passing plays and bringing him in only on obvious running situations is stupid and predictable.
    5) If he has a problem pass blocking, utilizing him as a receiver. Here's a hint, Shotgun two Rb. CT blocks, and AD runs patterns. Tjack has more time to pass due to not being under center. We can even run draws to CT out of the formation.
    6) Do something, anything but if we are doing the samething next year, we will not be successful. We have to adjust and our coachingstaff has to learn how to properly utilize all of our players abilities.
    To tired?
    Damn my friend, I gotta get you into a workout program.
    This time of year you don't have time to get tired when it comes to posting.
    ;D

I'll give ya that one.
    Hell everyone can always learn something no matter how long they have been doing thier job.
    AD is our best running weapon.
    If we are in a situation were running isn't an option then AD should'nt have been out there because of his pass blocking issues.
    Truth be told, that shouldn't be a problem next year as it usually only takes one year for a RB to figure that out.
    When CT was in there they ran effectively and passed effectively making them unpredictable or did you miss all those plays?
    Use him as a reciever.
    Heck maybe they should move him there permanent. (JK
    ;D) Comeon my friend, even though they did split him out a few times (early in the season) do you really think that is the best way to use a back of his prowess.
    I don't.
    I think you run him off tackle, run him off guard and let his natural talent as a 1 cut back expose the openings in the defense.
    Split him wide.
    (Damn
    ;D)
    6. Based on the reps our guys got this year I look to see alot more of the playbook opened but if you really look at a base offense in this version of the WCO, your not gonna see alot of stuff other than a RB hitting the line in a one cut set and short dumpoffs by the QB.
    Its the nature of the offense. If you want to see deep bombs every play then maybe you should go watch the team that Randy plays on next year.

Keep bringing them my friend.
    Even though I don't agree with you much, I do like your stuff.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "The" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Childress

To tired?
    gol 'darnit my friend, I gotta get you into a workout program.
    This time of year you don't have time to get tired when it comes to posting.

;D

I'll give ya that one.
    Hell everyone can always learn something no matter how long they have been doing thier job.

AD is our best running weapon.
    If we are in a situation were running isn't an option then AD should'nt have been out there because of his pass blocking issues.
    Truth be told, that shouldn't be a problem next year as it usually only takes one year for a RB to figure that out.
    When CT was in there they ran effectively and passed effectively making them unpredictable or did you miss all those plays?
    Use him as a reciever.
    Heck maybe they should move him there permanent. (JK
    ;D) Comeon my friend, even though they did split him out a few times (early in the season) do you really think that is the best way to use a back of his prowess.
    I don't.
    I think you run him off tackle, run him off guard and let his natural talent as a 1 cut back expose the openings in the defense.
    Split him wide.
    (gol 'darnit
    ;D)
    6. Based on the reps our guys got this year I look to see alot more of the playbook opened but if you really look at a base offense in this version of the WCO, your not gonna see alot of stuff other than a RB hitting the line in a one cut set and short dumpoffs by the QB.
    Its the nature of the offense. If you want to see deep bombs every play then maybe you should go watch the team that Randy plays on next year.

Keep bringing them my friend.

Even though I don't agree with you much, I do like your stuff.
    Thanks.
    What i meant by use him as a receiver is run some slides, wheels and other routes.
    I would love to see him run a slide and go
    ;D . I just think that when we are trying to win a game our best homerun threat shouldn't be on the sideline. Find a way to use him, this is the KAO after all. Watch the Pats???Yuck, i've hated them longer than I have hated the Packs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast