Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Childress' stubborn ways and a 6-9 record make him a failure

I see Patrick Reusse is at it again. Taking shots at Childress.
    http://www.startribune.com/508/story/901491.html

Here's a quote I love from the article:
    Childress is a control freak who rejects creativity and demands conformity to his unimaginative offense.
    It seems to me I remember another coach like that. The Super Bowl Trophy is now named after him.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress' stubborn ways and a 6-9 record make him a failure

"COJOMAY" wrote:

Childress is a control freak who rejects creativity and demands conformity to his unimaginative offense.
    It seems to me I remember another coach like that. The Super Bowl Trophy is now named after him.
    A 6-9 record in your first season does not entitle you to comparisons with Vince Lombardi, IMHO.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I love the Minnesota newspapers. With regards to the Vikings they're as bad as the British tabloids when a new Britney Spears/Paris Hilton/Lindsay Lohan crotch-shot is published.. They're unanimous in tearing Childress to shreds and never accountable for their reporting. With this Vikings team I'd take a 6-10 record, the corresponding draft pick, and be happy. However, the Star Tribune and Pioneer Press demand nothing less than the Ravens defence of 2000 and the Vikings offence of 1998 from Childress, his staff, and the players. I'd say a 6-10 record for a rookie head coach, rookie offensive co-ordinator, rookie defensive co-ordinator, and players in new systems is an admirable one. Sure, there have been some mistakes, but they are to be expected. As the old saying goes; "You learn more from your mistakes than you do from your successes."

"Benet" wrote:
    I love the Minnesota newspapers.
    Hey, Benet - where you been for the past couple of months?

=Z=

Del Rio Guest

He has failed this season, I do not think that justifies him being called a failure. He will be judged more on how he reacts to this season then this season itself.

You apply for a job where the guy before you lets everything and anything go, he breaks as many rules as the players do, your football team resembles more of a frat house then a professional sports franchise. You know a big part of your job is cleaning house and laying down the law.

I hope that is what he was doing this season. If he really is this bitter and strict man he seems to be he will never succeed here. That being said just because he put the locks down this season doesn't mean he will not develop a better relationship with his players over the next year. It is a learning process for everyone HIM included.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

A 6-9 record in your first season does not entitle you to comparisons with Vince Lombardi, IMHO.

=Z=
    Let's see, Vince was 7-5 his first year at GB and didn't make the playoffs until his third year with the Packers. But what I was referring to mostly was his demanding style of coaching that players hated at first. He coached fundementals and his favorite play was the "sweep" which he practiced incessently. His offense was call "unimaginative" by the media then, too.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    "AWZeus" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

=Z=
    Let's see, Vince was 7-5 his first year at GB and didn't make the playoffs until his third year with the Packers. But what I was referring to mostly was his demanding style of coaching that players hated at first. He coached fundementals and his favorite play was the "sweep" which he practiced incessently. His offense was call "unimaginative" by the media then, too.
    Lombardi also was a championship-winning offensive coordinator who called the plays prior to becoming a head coach.

I'm just saying that the Les Steckle comparison (while also rather ludicrous) is probably closer to Childress now than Vince Lombardi.

=Z=

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Benet" wrote:
    I love the Minnesota newspapers.
    Hey, Benet - where you been for the past couple of months?

=Z=
    Alright mate! I've been hiding for a while.. I kinda avoided the board cos of a culmination of factors. The new layout was getting on my nerves, especially the log-in system, and I was getting easily antagonised by some of the knee-jerk reactions by some members regarding everything and anything regarding the Vikes.

But I'm back now
    :P

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

My favourite quote ..
    When the local media wrote and talked about Childress' devotion to secrecy, the public suggested we were a bunch of whiners.
    not so much suggested as stated clearly... judging by some of the recent stuff written then not much has changed Patrick. Incidentally I think the term used was hacks rather than whiners but if the cap fits ..
    ;D

and also
    The current venom toward Childress wouldn't be as strong if he had not made himself such an aloof figure with the public.
    where the hell does he find all of this venom towards Childress? I know that a proportion of fans aren't happy with the way he has handled the season - which is their right - but venom??
    That conjurs visions of purple and gold protesters marching through downtown and I don't recall hearing of anything like that lately.

Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Benet" wrote:
    I love the Minnesota newspapers. With regards to the Vikings they're as bad as the British tabloids when a new Britney Spears/Paris Hilton/Lindsay Lohan crotch-shot is published.. They're unanimous in tearing Childress to shreds and never accountable for their reporting. With this Vikings team I'd take a 6-10 record, the corresponding draft pick, and be happy. However, the Star Tribune and Pioneer Press demand nothing less than the Ravens defence of 2000 and the Vikings offence of 1998 from Childress, his staff, and the players. I'd say a 6-10 record for a rookie head coach, rookie offensive co-ordinator, rookie defensive co-ordinator, and players in new systems is an admirable one. Sure, there have been some mistakes, but they are to be expected. As the old saying goes; "You learn more from your mistakes than you do from your successes."
    God, British tabloids care about that crap too? I cannot STAND that stuff.

These writers are starting to piss me off. Whether they're Star Trib guys or TC guys, they sound like retarded knee jerk fans that know JACK about the NFL. It's ridiculous.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast