Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Childress stressing up-tempo practices

Posted on Sat, May. 13

[size=18px]NFL: Childress stressing up-tempo practices[/size]

Vikings' veterans like new coach's program

By Sean Jensen
    Knight Ridder Newspapers

ST. PAUL - In his inaugural minicamp last month, Minnesota Vikings first-year coach Brad Childress worked to establish a revved-up rhythm to practices.

Veterans picked up the pace and gained a glimpse of what life would be like under Childress.

"Since I've been playing, that was the highest-intensity minicamp I've ever been to," said defensive tackle Pat Williams, who has played in the NFL for 10 seasons. "It was full speed all the time."

Cornerback Fred Smoot, with five years in the league, appreciated the accelerated sessions."That's the tempo you need to work at," Smoot said. "That reminds me of the tempo Gregg Williams and Joe Gibbs had (with the Washington Redskins, his former team).

"I think that's a great thing."

Rookies join minicamp sessions today through Monday at Winter Park. Childress expects his experienced players to help the newcomers neophytes get going.

"More than anything, not only are they getting system, but they're also understanding tempo," Childress said. "And the best people to teach them that are the last guys to be here."

Childress knows some of the rookies' heads might be spinning as they try to get acclimated to pro football.

"They're just trying to figure out the drill," Childress said of the new additions. "That's everything from where do we meet, what time to do we meet and what happens next. They've got a myriad of things coming at them that they're having to contend with."

Williams said fellow veterans were "hesitant" at first about the team's new program, including an offseason conditioning model set by new strength and conditioning coach Tom Kanavy.

"I was complaining about the offseason program," Williams said. "But now, it's paid off. This is the best I've felt in any offseason at this point."

Williams said he weighs 325 pounds, about 10 pounds less than his usual weight at this point in the offseason.

Smoot said he is in optimal shape and that he weighs 200 pounds. He applauded the workout regimen Kanavy prescribed.

"I feel real good about it," Smoot said. "It's more of a common-sense workout. They tailor the workouts for each player."

Smoot said he would rather pay the price now than later.

"It's tiring and it hurts. But this is the time of year you want to hurt, rather than December," Smoot said. "Everyone says you win in December and January. But you win right now, and coach has that mentality. He knows you have to be prepared."

With training camp a little more than two months away, Smoot praised owner Zygi Wilf for the slew of changes he made in the offseason.

"What Mr. Wilf did was amazing," Smoot said. "He upgraded the strength department and made a clear upgrade in coaching. He upgraded everything, including Winter Park.

"I think you're going to see a lot of differences in the Vikings. Zygi is doing everything from the owners' standpoint for us to win."

Starting with hiring Childress.

Childress stressing up-tempo practices

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MightyVikes12391 is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Childress stressing up-tempo practices

ada boy Childress

Prophet Guest

"What Mr. Wilf did was amazing," Smoot said. "He upgraded the strength department and made a clear upgrade in coaching. He upgraded everything, including Winter Park."

"I think you're going to see a lot of differences in the Vikings. Zygi is doing everything from the owners' standpoint for us to win."
    I get fired up every time I read stuff like this. Leaders with brains are a good start.

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"Prophet" wrote:
    "What Mr. Wilf did was amazing," Smoot said. "He upgraded the strength department and made a clear upgrade in coaching. He upgraded everything, including Winter Park."

I get fired up every time I read stuff like this. Leaders with brains are a good start.
    Good to hear, keep everybody motivated.

NordicNed is online now Jersey Retired

I'll just pray this High Octane mentality carry's onto the field for the season......Sounds great whats going on with the players and new coaching though.....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

This team hasn't had a coach to kick their butts since Grant retired.
    I love it, and only good can come of this.
    Hopefully after practice, they will be too tired to go sailing,or drinking and driving etc. :wink:

Leave it all on the field... not at the local club after the game :!:

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

By the way, I am new here. Hope to stay for a long time. I am from Cincinnati, and NO!!! I am not a Bengals fan at all!!!! Hate them. Been a Vikings fan since 1971 at the age of 4. Got a question though. Don't you all think that it is kind of taking Smoot out of his element? Cover 2 is a zone defense and Smoots A game is man to man cover?

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I agree with Prophet on this one.. I get so pumped to read stories like this. Good to see our new coach instilling toughness in these guys. Phat Pat is 10 lbs lighter then he has ever been at this time of the year, that is great. Imagine that guy lighter and quicker?

I can't wait for that Sept. 11th Monday Night Football game against Washington. I can't wait to hear those horns blow at the Metrodome, can't wait to see Ragnar riding on the field. I for sure can't wait to see our cheerleaders... Go Vikings

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

I agree totally. I have been waiting for someone to hit our players hard, right in the mouth like ole' Grant used to do.

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

Welcome vike_mike,you should post an introduction in the free beer forum, so more members can welcome you aboard.I hope you enjoy it here,we have some very good people on this site.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast