Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 156
  1. #51
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Is Peterson really Nr. 1 ?

    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Put it this way, you are a defense, and it is the final drive, and you have to stop their RB. Who would you least like to play against in that situation ? I can think of a few running backs: Westbrook, Brandon Jacobs, Jones-Drew, Turner, Forte, Marion Barber. Peterson would also be hard to stop, but I think he is easier to take out of his game than the others.

    Of course, I also think that that will change with Favre in purple, becuase to be fair to Peterson, defenses last year just stacked the box against us.
    Put it this way, if you're putting together a team and you could pick any RB in the league who would
    you take?
    I sure as hell wouldn't take Westbrook, Jacobs, Jones-Drew, Turner, Forte or Barber over AD.
    AD hands down is the first guy I pick for RB and the first player I take to start my team.
    We would pick AP because we love the guy.
    Just like Atlanta would pick Turner or Carolina may pick Williams.
    I love Peterson and think he is amazing.
    He is the most explosive back in football imo.
    However a RB has more duties than just running.
    A RB should be successful at picking up blitzes and blocking for his QB.
    AP hasn't proven he can do that consistently yet.
    He also hasn't proven he can be a big threat on screens yet.
    I am optimistic he can be better because in game 3 of preseason he looked good coming out of the backfield.
    I can't in good conscious say he is the #1 RB in the NFL because others do better at blocking and coming out of the backfield.
    Some of that may be because of the 8 and 9 man fronts the Vikings have seen so once that stops I think I could be a better judge.

    However, if he does get better at catching screens AP would be by far the #1 back in the NFL.
    For right now I think he has competition with being the best back on the team.
    Chester Taylor is better at 2 out of the main 3 categories of a RB.
    Taylor is also a great back. He's not as explosive as AP but definitely holds his own.
    I think AP is the better pure runner but as far as RB I think it's debatable.

  2. #52
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Peterson really Nr. 1 ?

    Yes

  3. #53
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,880

    Re: Is Peterson really Nr. 1 ?

    "ejmat" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Put it this way, you are a defense, and it is the final drive, and you have to stop their RB. Who would you least like to play against in that situation ? I can think of a few running backs: Westbrook, Brandon Jacobs, Jones-Drew, Turner, Forte, Marion Barber. Peterson would also be hard to stop, but I think he is easier to take out of his game than the others.

    Of course, I also think that that will change with Favre in purple, becuase to be fair to Peterson, defenses last year just stacked the box against us.
    Put it this way, if you're putting together a team and you could pick any RB in the league who would
    you take?
    I sure as hell wouldn't take Westbrook, Jacobs, Jones-Drew, Turner, Forte or Barber over AD.
    AD hands down is the first guy I pick for RB and the first player I take to start my team.
    We would pick AP because we love the guy.
    Just like Atlanta would pick Turner or Carolina may pick Williams.
    I love Peterson and think he is amazing.
    He is the most explosive back in football imo.
    However a RB has more duties than just running.
    A RB should be successful at picking up blitzes and blocking for his QB.
    AP hasn't proven he can do that consistently yet.
    He also hasn't proven he can be a big threat on screens yet.
    I am optimistic he can be better because in game 3 of preseason he looked good coming out of the backfield.
    I can't in good conscious say he is the #1 RB in the NFL because others do better at blocking and coming out of the backfield.
    Some of that may be because of the 8 and 9 man fronts the Vikings have seen so once that stops I think I could be a better judge.

    However, if he does get better at catching screens AP would be by far the #1 back in the NFL.
    For right now I think he has competition with being the best back on the team.
    Chester Taylor is better at 2 out of the main 3 categories of a RB.
    Taylor is also a great back. He's not as explosive as AP but definitely holds his own.
    I think AP is the better pure runner but as far as RB I think it's debatable.
    He has the biggest impact on the game of any of the RB's in the league.
    Are you saying you wouldn't take him above the others...purple shades aside?
    Does he have weaknesses?
    Sure, but his ability to change the game on any given play along with the respect he gets from defenses is far and beyond what the other backs recieve.
    If I can't have AD, I would be just as happy with Chester as I would with Jones-Drew, Williams or Forte.

    I would also say that most of the NFL world would agree that AD is the best back in football right now.

  4. #54
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Peterson really Nr. 1 ?

    I could name 296 reasons why he is the best..

  5. #55
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Is Peterson really Nr. 1 ?

    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "tastywaves" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    Put it this way, you are a defense, and it is the final drive, and you have to stop their RB. Who would you least like to play against in that situation ? I can think of a few running backs: Westbrook, Brandon Jacobs, Jones-Drew, Turner, Forte, Marion Barber. Peterson would also be hard to stop, but I think he is easier to take out of his game than the others.

    Of course, I also think that that will change with Favre in purple, becuase to be fair to Peterson, defenses last year just stacked the box against us.
    Put it this way, if you're putting together a team and you could pick any RB in the league who would
    you take?
    I sure as hell wouldn't take Westbrook, Jacobs, Jones-Drew, Turner, Forte or Barber over AD.
    AD hands down is the first guy I pick for RB and the first player I take to start my team.
    We would pick AP because we love the guy.
    Just like Atlanta would pick Turner or Carolina may pick Williams.
    I love Peterson and think he is amazing.
    He is the most explosive back in football imo.
    However a RB has more duties than just running.
    A RB should be successful at picking up blitzes and blocking for his QB.
    AP hasn't proven he can do that consistently yet.
    He also hasn't proven he can be a big threat on screens yet.
    I am optimistic he can be better because in game 3 of preseason he looked good coming out of the backfield.
    I can't in good conscious say he is the #1 RB in the NFL because others do better at blocking and coming out of the backfield.
    Some of that may be because of the 8 and 9 man fronts the Vikings have seen so once that stops I think I could be a better judge.

    However, if he does get better at catching screens AP would be by far the #1 back in the NFL.
    For right now I think he has competition with being the best back on the team.
    Chester Taylor is better at 2 out of the main 3 categories of a RB.
    Taylor is also a great back. He's not as explosive as AP but definitely holds his own.
    I think AP is the better pure runner but as far as RB I think it's debatable.
    He has the biggest impact on the game of any of the RB's in the league.
    Are you saying you wouldn't take him above the others...purple shades aside?
    Does he have weaknesses?
    Sure, but his ability to change the game on any given play along with the respect he gets from defenses is far and beyond what the other backs recieve.

    If I can't have AD, I would be just as happy with Chester as I would with Jones-Drew, Williams or Forte.

    I would also say that most of the NFL world would agree that AD is the best back in football right now.
    This is a difficult topic to put purple shades aside.
    All I'm saying is AP still has some maturing to do as a rounded RB.
    Yes he is explosive and I was and still am happy as hell the Vikings drafted him.
    However, I'm also a realist.
    There is more to a RB than just pure running.
    Everything you say is true about how he can change a game and the respect he has from defenses.
    There are plenty of RBs in the league that has the respect of the defenses.
    Let me talk about his flaws.
    He hasn't been able to block consistently.
    He hasn't proven to be a big threat out of the backfield.
    He also put the ball on the turf 9 times last year not counting 2 he got away with because the replays were inconclusive and not counting the one that went against TJ.


    I am in no way saying the guy is a bad RB.
    He is great!
    He is the most explosive back in the NFL.
    However, he still has some maturing to do.
    You can compare backs and I will say AP is the best pur runner out of all of them.
    But look at other characteristics.
    Matt Forte can block, catch screens.
    Mike Turner can block and catch screens.
    Brandon Jacobs is a great blocker and catches screens.
    They may not be as explosive as AP but they definitely get the job done.
    If you talk about all around backs, AP is not the best in the league and to me it is debatable if he is the best on the team.

    That being said, I love the fact the Vikings have AP.
    I wouldn't want to give him up because I know he can still earn to be an effective blocker and pass catcher.
    But until then it is difficult for me to say he is the #1 RB in the NFL.

  6. #56
    Redmption's Avatar
    Redmption is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    307

    Re: Is Peterson really Nr. 1 ?

    All I know is that Nike Combat gear commercial is bad a$$!!

  7. #57
    soonerbornNbred is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    357

    Re: Is Peterson really Nr. 1 ?

    Whats funny is all these website posters sayin AD needs to work on screens and blocking....but Jim Brown, Emmit Smith "Guys that were in the game" say he is special...heck if you DONT see that, not sure what your watchin....the 296 was somethin special it wasnt a one time thing....if he woulda had a decent QB those 1st 2 years no tellin
    I guarantee chester is as good as the others your talkin about
    MT MJD
    but they would be ridding the pine behind AD also...all this crap about him not catchin passes,
    if they give him a try poor CT may never get off the bench...and CT is a very very good RB
    Heres to AD staying healthy so he can fulfill his wants, because his needs are met

    Its nice to have what you want, but want what you have

  8. #58
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Is Peterson really Nr. 1 ?

    "soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    Whats funny is all these website posters sayin AD needs to work on screens and blocking....but Jim Brown, Emmit Smith "Guys that were in the game" say he is special...heck if you DONT see that, not sure what your watchin....the 296 was somethin special it wasnt a one time thing....if he woulda had a decent QB those 1st 2 years no tellin
    I guarantee chester is as good as the others your talkin about
    MT MJD
    but they would be ridding the pine behind AD also...all this crap about him not catchin passes,
    if they give him a try poor CT may never get off the bench...and CT is a very very good RB
    Heres to AD staying healthy so he can fulfill his wants, because his needs are met

    Its nice to have what you want, but want what you have
    Not sure where I stated he wasn't special.
    In fact I stated he's downright amazing.
    But take your shades off for a second and see that he isn't perfect.
    He is a great freaking back.
    I didn't say he wasn't.
    But he still has maturing to do.
    If you can't see that than you don't see it.
    I do see it and I call it as I see it.
    Just because he's a Viking and he's a great player doesn't mean he doesn't have flaws.
    Right now his flaws are blocking, catching out of the backfield and fumbling.
    Am I wrong?

  9. #59
    Sajid28 is offline Coordinator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    810

    Re: Is Peterson really Nr. 1 ?

    "ejmat" wrote:
    "soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    Whats funny is all these website posters sayin AD needs to work on screens and blocking....but Jim Brown, Emmit Smith "Guys that were in the game" say he is special...heck if you DONT see that, not sure what your watchin....the 296 was somethin special it wasnt a one time thing....if he woulda had a decent QB those 1st 2 years no tellin
    I guarantee chester is as good as the others your talkin about
    MT MJD
    but they would be ridding the pine behind AD also...all this crap about him not catchin passes,
    if they give him a try poor CT may never get off the bench...and CT is a very very good RB
    Heres to AD staying healthy so he can fulfill his wants, because his needs are met

    Its nice to have what you want, but want what you have
    Not sure where I stated he wasn't special.
    In fact I stated he's downright amazing.
    But take your shades off for a second and see that he isn't perfect.
    He is a great freaking back.
    I didn't say he wasn't.
    But he still has maturing to do.
    If you can't see that than you don't see it.
    I do see it and I call it as I see it.
    Just because he's a Viking and he's a great player doesn't mean he doesn't have flaws.
    Right now his flaws are blocking, catching out of the backfield and fumbling.
    Am I wrong?
    very good point.. but i think the questions you should be asking is, compare AP to all those other backs. Would you chose those other backs over AP? Would you rather have AP or Burner Turner, MJD, LT, Forte?that should answer the question if he is the best back in the NFL.


  10. #60
    tastywaves's Avatar
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,880

    Re: Is Peterson really Nr. 1 ?

    "ejmat" wrote:
    "soonerbornNbred" wrote:
    Whats funny is all these website posters sayin AD needs to work on screens and blocking....but Jim Brown, Emmit Smith "Guys that were in the game" say he is special...heck if you DONT see that, not sure what your watchin....the 296 was somethin special it wasnt a one time thing....if he woulda had a decent QB those 1st 2 years no tellin
    I guarantee chester is as good as the others your talkin about
    MT MJD
    but they would be ridding the pine behind AD also...all this crap about him not catchin passes,
    if they give him a try poor CT may never get off the bench...and CT is a very very good RB
    Heres to AD staying healthy so he can fulfill his wants, because his needs are met

    Its nice to have what you want, but want what you have
    Not sure where I stated he wasn't special.
    In fact I stated he's downright amazing.
    But take your shades off for a second and see that he isn't perfect.
    He is a great freaking back.
    I didn't say he wasn't.
    But he still has maturing to do.
    If you can't see that than you don't see it.
    I do see it and I call it as I see it.
    Just because he's a Viking and he's a great player doesn't mean he doesn't have flaws.
    Right now his flaws are blocking, catching out of the backfield and fumbling.
    Am I wrong?
    He's not perfect, but he is the best.
    That was the question.


    Are you saying that you would prefer Forte or one of the other's over AD?
    If not, then just agree that he is the best, or say that you think one of the other guys is better.
    Being a jack of all trades is great, but being a true game changer is better.
    You'll have a hard time convincing me that anybody gets the same respect by defenses as Peterson.
    LT you could argue a few years ago, but the rest of these guys not so much.

    Can AD get better?
    Sure.
    Does he have faults?
    Sure.
    But that's a different question.


Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. BBQ Ate Too Many Pixie Sticks for Breakfast This Morning...
    By BBQ Platypus in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 768
    Last Post: 10-13-2012, 12:44 PM
  2. Spygate stench sticks to Belichick
    By cajunvike in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 08-29-2008, 08:14 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-16-2007, 12:07 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-15-2007, 10:39 PM
  5. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-08-2006, 12:55 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •