fromos is offline Rookie

Childress Speaks Out: Says Cpep Cared About Money Not Team

Childress: Money was Culpepper's main focus

On those rare occasions when the new Vikings coach and Daunte Culpepper talked before he was traded, the team's needs never came first.

Sid Hartman, Star Tribune
    Last update: March 16, 2006 – 11:21 PM

Vikings coach Brad Childress admits that Daunte Culpepper obviously has some talent and, as a coach, one hates to lose talented players. Culpepper was traded to the Miami Dolphins on Tuesday.

"But a franchise quarterback, or a quarterback and head coach, have got to be in lockstep," Childress said Thursday. "It doesn't work. It doesn't work unless those two guys are walking as one, particularly with me being an offensive head coach and him being a quarterback."

For some reason, Culpepper and Childress never got a chance to talk football.

"Somewhere there is a buy-in factor. I just didn't think that that was the case," Childress said. "Right from the beginning. As I mentioned, I never had a conversation with him about this football team. It was always about what he needed financially and money. I never heard team, I always heard me and I and 'I need 10 million dollars. I'm a 10 million-dollar-a-year quarterback.' It's the kind of things I talked to you about before."

Childress said he expected something different when he took the Vikings job.

"It's a shame, but it is what it is," Childress said. "I gotta tell you, as I took this job, as I came in here, I thought, you know, 'I'm coming in here, I'm looking at Daunte Culpepper, Randy Moss is out of here, he'll be able to flourish now,' and I just found some different things," Childress said. "I do think he's changed in the last eight years. It's good for him probably to leave here based on all the goings-on. He can start over, and it'll be fine for us."

Chemistry important

"I've told every one of those free agents that have sat in this room, whether it's William Henderson or whether it's Steve Hutchinson, I want good people who are good players," Childress said. "We will win a lot of games with those guys. A lot of games. You always know exactly where they're at. You're never going to worry about if they're prepared, are they ready to go, they've done all the things you want them to do. I'm going to stick to that. I'm not going to vary from that."

Nobody, including Childress, knows how Culpepper will do on the field after his rehabilitation from major knee surgery.

"Well, you know, the mitigating factor is the injury," Childress said. "Just like with the Drew Brees thing [he agreed to a six-year contract with New Orleans on Tuesday but is coming back from shoulder surgery], the injury kind of clouds the water," Childress said. "Daunte plays the game a different way. He's not your Peyton Manning, pocket-type quarterback. He's got some movement skills that he's used to now. He's not going to have those forever. I would think this would change the way he plays a little bit. It'll be interesting to see if he's comfortable having to stick around."

I got to know Brad Childress personally when he was a member of the University of Wisconsin staff. There were times when I was closer to the Badgers staff and former head coach Barry Alvarez than I was to the Gophers staff.

They said there was a new sheriff in town when Denny Green took the Vikings job. Well, this guy will run a tighter ship than Green ever ran because there won't be any favorites such as former defensive backs coach Richard Solomon. The rules will be the same for each player from the start.

Childress showed a lot of plain guts in the way he handled the Culpepper deal. He will handle everything that way, and that is why he will be a winner. If you don't want to play his game, you won't be here.

Jottings

The Vikings definitely will play a league game at Miami next season, with the date to be announced by the NFL in the near future. If Culpepper is healthy, there will be a big buildup for that game.

Childress spent three hours at the Legislature, along with Vikings vice president Lester Bagley, and was well-received, talking football and trying to explain the Culpepper trade. Naturally, the Vikings are interested in some favorable reaction to their bid to build that $1 billion project to include a football stadium in Blaine.

The Vikings might be looking for a punter because Childress said the history of punters such as Chris Kluwe, who had ACL surgery, indicates they don't come back after the operation.

www.startribune.com/507/story/312796.html

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress Speaks Out: Says Cpep Cared About Money Not Team

The Vikings might be looking for a punter because Childress said the history of punters such as Chris Kluwe, who had ACL surgery, indicates they don't come back after the operation.

I don't like that part!! Kluwe was our MVP last year haha

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Re: Childress Speaks Out: Says Cpep Cared About Money Not Te

http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=20202

Posting articles