Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress serious about letting reporters take part in a 9-on-7...

Would love to see this.
    The result would be the typical article that isn't worth the paper it was printed on.
    As long as it's mildly entertaining I don't care.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/

Childress, slightly amused and mildly annoyed by how the media portrayed his training-camp practices as not being very physical, challenged a member of the press to take part in a 9-on-7 inside running drill. This challenge came while the Vikings were in Mankato.

While I did throw out Mark Craig’s name at the time, Childress evidently didn’t hear me because on Tuesday he said no one had accepted or nominated someone for the challenge. And then Childress said a freelance journalist from New Jersey had faxed in a letter and wanted to participate in a practice.

Craig, to his credit, first asked what type of contract he would get if he accepted and then said he would have to check with the people who run his front office — actually, just his wife — to see if he could give it a go. Meanwhile, it sounds as if Alexander Alperin of Upper Saddle River, N.J., has some publications interested in buying his story about what it would be like to practice with the Vikings. One word comes to mind Alexander: painful.
    Sounds like he really does want some local media types to take part in a practice to show them how "easy" the team has had it...
    That's awesome!
    He'll be going after the PP.O folks next. I nominate you and Marrdro!
    The difference between me and the hacks is that I know something about football and know that I am not good enough to play.

They on the other hand probably have never even played sandlot ball and think they can play.

;D
    As much as I have my disliking for a lot of sports writers I'm pretty sure many of them played high school ball or were actively involved in sports.
    With that out of the way I also have to ask why does one have to have had played the sport to understand or report on the sport?
    I guess there are plenty of good reporters in different fields who have never done what they've reported on before and still do an outstanding job.
    Apparently if you went to a big school or didn't get into sports or were too small to really play sports early in life you can no longer get into or report on sports. Passion and a little knowledge can go a long way for any good journalist(which there are some out there).

And Marr if you know so much more about football then go out and start writing for a sports section in your spare time.
    ;D (Not just your own blog or something, an honest to God published paper)

As for the practice thing, it's dumb.
    Yes lets get a bunch of out of shape reporters and show how "tough" practice is.
    I have nothing against his practice style, I just think it's dumb to think that it proves anything.
    You could get Andy Reid to be in a 9 on 7 drill and even having a head coach be worn out by the "tough" practice won't prove it's merits.
    Silly.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"Schutz" wrote:

As much as I have my disliking for a lot of sports writers I'm pretty sure many of them played high school ball or were actively involved in sports.
    With that out of the way I also have to ask why does one have to have had played the sport to understand or report on the sport?
    I guess there are plenty of good reporters in different fields who have never done what they've reported on before and still do an outstanding job.
    Apparently if you went to a big school or didn't get into sports or were too small to really play sports early in life you can no longer get into or report on sports. Passion and a little knowledge can go a long way for any good journalist(which there are some out there).

Is this what your talking about?

Man, that would be hilarious to see Clayton out there.
    Good reporter though.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

"Billy" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:

Good reporter though.
    I always liked the 'crypt keeper' comment:

[youtube=425,350]Zi7XtBv94pE[/youtube]
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"Billy" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:

Good reporter though.
    I don't know, Clayton might work out as a kicker during the 9 on 7 drills.
    Just stand there watching like all the other kickers.

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:

Good reporter though.
    I always liked the 'crypt keeper' comment:

[youtube=425,350]Zi7XtBv94pE[/youtube]
    Wow, never seen that one.
    Little ole Clayton vs the former NFL QB Salisbury.
    According to the sports hack theory Salisbury should be a much better writer/annalist since he used to play.
    Once again it's not about if you played or not, it's about being a good reporter and knowing your stuff.
    Makes you wonder how ESPN could ever handle losing that POS Salisbury.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I wanna see EJ hit Joe Buck

"V4L" wrote:
    [youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5dmqGg6Ccvw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Oh memories.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

that was frickin awesome

"Schutz" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    [youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5dmqGg6Ccvw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Oh memories.
    Joe Buck is such an ass.

Here's a good thread honoring him:

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=28094.msg481628#msg481628

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast