Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prophet Guest

Re: Childress says Jackson must learn to battle through some injuries

"oakmage" wrote:
    People if we need any more proof that the media does not like Childress then here it is.
    I have herd people who have actually herd the press confrence that this story is on and the story is totally making something out of nothing.
    Why cann't they just report the news on the Vikings instead of making it up?
    True.
    They live by the saying, 'why ruin a good story with the truth'.

Here's Childress' quote:

Q: Will Tarvaris Jackson be able to start practicing normally next week?
    A: He was out there in the pre-game as you saw, and I think he did a little bit better than he thought he would, just with his limited movement, so that's something to build on. He will be here most of the week rehabbing and throwing to some guys. Yeah, he's going to get right back up to speed. Part of this thing for Tarvaris in terms of being a quarterback as you move down the road is somewhere you've got to fight through these injuries. I think you look at a guy, one of the great examples is Ben Leber who probably has more of a significant injury than Tarvaris had. You watch those guys push and try to get to the forum. Last week we shut him down and didn't let him play. Tarvaris is able to look at that and see how you have to push. Not put yourself out there hurt, but they'll be a point somewhere in his career where he is going to get nicked and he's going to have to push and guys are going to trust in the fact that he's getting back there. This is unfortunately a hard learning experience, but something he has to through, but it's real now. He's going to get knocked around in the pocket at some point in the future.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Childress says Jackson must learn to battle through some injuries[/size]

...The Vikings coach was asked if Jackson would start practicing full-speed next week when the Vikings return from their bye. Jackson underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee late last month.

"Part of this thing for Tarvaris in terms of being a quarterback as you move down the road is somewhere you've got to fight through these injuries," Childress said....

...Childress pointed to linebacker Ben Leber as a player who fought through an injury that might be more serious than Jackson's. Leber sprained his left knee Sept. 24 against Chicago but returned to the game; the coaching staff held him out the following week at Buffalo, despite the fact Leber protested, but he returned Sunday wearing a protective brace...
    So Childress is telling Tarvaris to toughen up and the article implies that a sprained knee is more serious than a torn meniscus in the right knee?
    I thought a torn meniscus required more down time while the sprained knee needs rest and is more painful.
    Is Tarvaris really being a wuss or is Childress being unrealistic in the comparison?
    That would be my opinion on it. I know Childress is tough on his players & has had some very rigorous camps &
    but sometimes I wonder if he has tad bit of Steckel blood runninbg through his veins.
    I'm not sure that he's being THAT unfair in his comparison. I agree that Leber's is easier to play on, but it has been almost three weeks since Tarvaris's surgery. He has to get out there and play at some point.

IMO, the article is making it out to be more than it is. I think Childress is just saying that it's time that Jackson get back to playing and learn to get through the pain, but the article is making it sound like he's throwing him to the wolves when he's not ready. I guess from what he's seen and what the doctors say, Childress believes he's ready to get out there again. I'm hoping we won't have to worry about his injuries this year!

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

IMO, I read it as someday, TJ is going to have to step it up and play through pain.
    Also that the players will respect him for doing that.

"Part of this thing for Tarvaris in terms of being a quarterback as you move down the road is somewhere you've got to fight through these injuries," Childress said....
    Realistically, what do you want your 2nd or 3rd string QB to do.
    Go too hard and put undue pressure on that knee.
    Or do you want him to just use this period as a judge of his own threshold of pain.
    Maybe push himself a bit to see his own limitations to pain.

From that article we read about TJ this summer, and his work out back in his hometown, I don't think TJ takes things lightly.
    He sounds like a competitor.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12