Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Childress says Jackson must learn to battle through some injuries

[size=13pt]Childress says Jackson must learn to battle through some injuries[/size]

Judd Zulgad, Star Tribune
    Last update: October 09, 2006 – 10:12 PM

Brad Childress seemed to be sending a not-so-subtle message to rookie quarterback Tarvaris Jackson on Monday.

The Vikings coach was asked if Jackson would start practicing full-speed next week when the Vikings return from their bye. Jackson underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee late last month.

"Part of this thing for Tarvaris in terms of being a quarterback as you move down the road is somewhere you've got to fight through these injuries," Childress said.

Jackson, who was injured in a Sept. 21 practice, did not suit up for two games but was back in uniform as the emergency quarterback Sunday in a 26-17 victory over Detroit. He has done limited work in practice since getting hurt.

Childress pointed to linebacker Ben Leber as a player who fought through an injury that might be more serious than Jackson's. Leber sprained his left knee Sept. 24 against Chicago but returned to the game; the coaching staff held him out the following week at Buffalo, despite the fact Leber protested, but he returned Sunday wearing a protective brace.

"You watch those guys push," Childress said. "Tarvaris is able to look at that and see how you have to push. Not put yourself out there hurt, but there will be a point somewhere in his career where he is going to get nicked and he's going to have to push and guys are going to trust in the fact that he's getting back there. This is unfortunately a hard learning experience but something he has to go through. But it's real now. He's going to get knocked around in the pocket at some point in the future."

Running left

Chester Taylor gained 71 of his 123 rushing yards Sunday against Detroit running behind the expensive left side of a Vikings offensive line that includes tackle Bryant McKinnie and guard Steve Hutchinson.

Taylor ran over left tackle six times for 54 yards, including a 28-yard pickup during the Vikings' opening drive.

"They did a good job on a number of double teams," Childress said of the left side. "But again, it takes somebody working on the back side as well. We've had back-side leakages kill front-side plays. I wouldn't necessarily single the whole left side of the line out. We had a pretty good number of plays that we ran well to the right-hand side, too."

Actually, Taylor went up the middle eight times for 38 yards and went toward the right side of tackle Marcus Johnson and guard Artis Hicks only six times for 14 yards.

"Whichever side I go to they are doing a great job," Taylor said. "The right side or the left side. I just read their blocks and played off of that."

QB assessment

Brad Johnson is ranked 20th in the NFL with a 78.3 quarterback rating. Johnson has completed 107 of 170 passes for 1,128 yards, with three touchdowns and four interceptions. Three of those pickoffs have come in the past two games, including one Sunday against Detroit when his arm was hit as he attempted to throw.

"I think probably the most important thing is the decision-making," Childress said when asked about Johnson's performance. "Up until the last couple of games I felt like we've done a great job of taking care of the football. Now one of those picks [Sunday], he kind of got hit in mid-stride, so you've got to take that off of him. By and large, he's done a good job with the football."

Etc.

• Childress didn't seem to mind the booing Vikings fans directed at his offense during Sunday's game. "They pay a lot of money to sit in those seats," he said. "They can do whatever they like to do. You live with it. It's not an energy sap or anything like that. It is what it is. If I spent my time or they spent their time reacting to the crowd, it wouldn't be much to look at."

• With the NFL trade deadline approaching Oct. 17, Childress said on his KFAN Radio show Monday evening that, "I'm sure we'll look at who is out there. ... We're always going to do whatever we can to improve this roster. If a guy is a good player and it stands on its own merits and it fits the team, obviously we could go after somebody like that." Asked about Jerry Porter, Childress said there have been no talks regarding the Raiders' disgruntled receiver.

• Childress said there were no injuries to report coming out of Sunday's victory. Safety Will Hunter, who hurt his right knee playing on special teams Sunday but was able to return, said Monday he felt fine.

Judd Zulgad • [email protected]

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Re: Childress says Jackson must learn to battle through some injuries

based on this i read the following into B.chill's statements.

1. He's gonna mold T.jack into one of the TOP qb's
    2. He still see's the future of the org in T.jack
    3. He learned that u gotta stick 2 the run.. esp with our O line!!
    4. He's got all the faith in the world in B.j!!!!!!!!!!!!! so why don't u?

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Big C is offline Coordinator

Despite the ups and downs this season I think Childress is doing a great job as a first year coach. The fact that we pounded the ball with Taylor this week shows he is willing to make changes instead of being too stubborn. I love how he is dealing with Jackson. Showing Leber as an example is a great way of saying that this how it's supposed to be done.

The offense will slowly come around. Losing koren just before the season started has hurt this offense more than we expected because he was a step above the rest of the WR clan.

It's going to be some good years with Childress at the helm. I just hope he takes fans heart conditions in to account and has the team blowout a few teams by half time. All these games coming down to the last minute is very entertaining but gives my poor heart a lot of stress!
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    Brad Childress seemed to be sending a not-so-subtle message to rookie quarterback Tarvaris Jackson on Monday.

The Vikings coach was asked if Jackson would start practicing full-speed next week when the Vikings return from their bye. Jackson underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee late last month.

"Part of this thing for Tarvaris in terms of being a quarterback as you move down the road is somewhere you've got to fight through these injuries," Childress said.

Jackson, who was injured in a Sept. 21 practice, did not suit up for two games but was back in uniform as the emergency quarterback Sunday in a 26-17 victory over Detroit. He has done limited work in practice since getting hurt.
    Wait.

You mean - TJack's NOT ready to step in and lead this team to the Super Bowl title?

What the ?????

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Prophet Guest

[size=13pt]Childress says Jackson must learn to battle through some injuries[/size]

...The Vikings coach was asked if Jackson would start practicing full-speed next week when the Vikings return from their bye. Jackson underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee late last month.

"Part of this thing for Tarvaris in terms of being a quarterback as you move down the road is somewhere you've got to fight through these injuries," Childress said....

...Childress pointed to linebacker Ben Leber as a player who fought through an injury that might be more serious than Jackson's. Leber sprained his left knee Sept. 24 against Chicago but returned to the game; the coaching staff held him out the following week at Buffalo, despite the fact Leber protested, but he returned Sunday wearing a protective brace...
    So Childress is telling Tarvaris to toughen up and the article implies that a sprained knee is more serious than a torn meniscus in the right knee?
    I thought a torn meniscus required more down time while the sprained knee needs rest and is more painful.
    Is Tarvaris really being a wuss or is Childress being unrealistic in the comparison?

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"Prophet" wrote:

...The Vikings coach was asked if Jackson would start practicing full-speed next week when the Vikings return from their bye. Jackson underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee late last month.

"Part of this thing for Tarvaris in terms of being a quarterback as you move down the road is somewhere you've got to fight through these injuries," Childress said....

...Childress pointed to linebacker Ben Leber as a player who fought through an injury that might be more serious than Jackson's. Leber sprained his left knee Sept. 24 against Chicago but returned to the game; the coaching staff held him out the following week at Buffalo, despite the fact Leber protested, but he returned Sunday wearing a protective brace...
    So Childress is telling Tarvaris to toughen up and the article implies that a sprained knee is more serious than a torn meniscus in the right knee?
    I thought a torn meniscus required more down time while the sprained knee needs rest and is more painful.
    Is Tarvaris really being a wuss or is Childress being unrealistic in the comparison?
    That would be my opinion on it. I know Childress is tough on his players & has had some very rigorous camps &
    but sometimes I wonder if he has tad bit of Steckel blood runninbg through his veins.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

That would be my opinion on it. I know Childress is tough on his players & has had some very rigorous camps &
    but sometimes I wonder if he has tad bit of Steckel blood runninbg through his veins.
    He already has more wins the Steckel had in an entire season.
    ;D

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePeopleEaters" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

He already has more wins the Steckel had in an entire season.
    ;D
    Stinkle had 3, Childress has 3 right now.

marcosMN is offline Star Spokesman

"digital420" wrote:
    based on this i read the following into B.chill's statements.

1. He's gonna mold T.jack into one of the TOP qb's
    2. He still see's the future of the org in T.jack

3. He learned that u gotta stick 2 the run.. esp with our O line!!
    4. He's got all the faith in the world in B.j!!!!!!!!!!!!! so why don't u?

DiGiTaL
    Yup.

But we have to remember, it isn't gonna happen over the bye week, or anytime relatively soon for that matter.
    -Sno

oakmage is offline Starter

People if we need any more proof that the media does not like Childress then here it is.
    I have herd people who have actually herd the press confrence that this story is on and the story is totally making something out of nothing.
    Why cann't they just report the news on the Vikings instead of making it up?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast