Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress says Hicks should be just fine

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    I still bring it up. Time and time again. I would think that would make most of you realize you should stop looking at your neighboors lawn.
    "I'm glad we got rid of Randy"

-Singer-
    I respect your opinion on this board but its crazy to say that we run better behind other players on the line than Mac. I have lready shown that a high percenage of AD's long TDs run Mac dominantes his man and makes a second block. Mac is the best run blocker we have on the line. Hutch is a close 2nd.

The statment that someone made about moving Hutch to play Lt is as intelligent as saying Bush is a popular President. 2 different positions and lets not mention that Hutch is an average pass blocker. Again, I know you guys think that Mac is the worst LT at pass blocking in the league but it's simply untrue. I think Mac is the best Run blocker in the league at LT and he is an above average pass blocker. If I had to rate him on both abilities, i would give him a 95 for run blocking and a 85 for pass blocking. He's not steller but he is solid.

Again, it all comes down to QB play. People just don't understand that Qb play affects your line. Remove Tj and put Lord D*ckhead behind our line last year and Mac doesn't give up half of the sacks he does, Birk doesn't see as much confusion pre snap and is able to make acurate assessments of who is coming and who isn't. TJ just wasn't ready last year to be a starter. When given a pocket he still missed throws, held on to the ball too long and often put his Wrs in harm way. Why do we not examine this when talking about the line is silly to me?

In closing saying Mac needs to be traded/replace is another attempt of the Vikings fan base to keep this team from getting over the top. When TJ develops and is able to play like an NFL caliber QB at a consistant pace, our OL play will look pristine.
    And some people don't understand that the OL helps the QB play.

Some yutz on here said something to that crowd someplace in this thread I think.......
    A young QB needs 2 things....1)
    A sound running game and 2) A little extra time from his OL.
    What part of that equation did Big Mac (and the rest of the OL) fall under last year?

:
    That yutz is right :P.
    However, it's a chicken and the egg situation.
    TJ(the chicken) played poorly early on with good OL play and opposing DCs realized that he can be effected by pressure and cannot make the throws he should. This caused additional stress on the Ol because they are now blocking more men at the LOS. This affects Tj's play because he doesn't have the time to make the throws he needs to.

However, the cause of the issue was the chicken. Looking at anything else as the cause means you aren't looking at the big picture.
    Are you trying to tell me that D coords came up with something new last year to overwhelm a OL?
    Comeon my friend, OL's have been picking up the blitz for years.
    What happened last year?

Oh wait, it was the QB's fault right?

Big picture my friend, look to the two people responsible for adjusting to the blitz, the QB and the C.
    Strange how you keep leaving out that other side of the discussion.

;D
    Me give a one sided opinion? Never ;D

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    [quote author=thevikingfan link=topic=47528.msg829000#msg829000 date=1220409140]
    im thinking we just put kleinsauser on the left side to help in protection for the first 4 games
    The problem with that plan is leaving Cook alone to block Kampman. That would not work well.
    It also limits the offensive plays one can run.

I would prefer they help Cook first and adjust to help Hicks if he needs it.
    KGB may not be there or may not be 100% due to his knee injury.

Most here know I'm not a Hicks fan. But I do believe he will pass protect as well as McKinnie.
    I'm not a huge fan of Hicks either, but when it comes to pass blocking, I think Hicks will do a better job than McKinnie.

McKinnie gave up 2-3 sacks in last years first game against KGB last year, I believe in less than 1 half before he was replaced. Hicks replaced him & gave up a hurry.

I read earlier that McKinnie gave up 2 more sacks against KGB in their second meeting.
    The problem I have always had with Hicks is that he is just not quite good enough to be a starter.
    Most of my ire towards him has been that when he was a starter he sucked.

Sure he is talented enough to play almost every position but there is and always be a droppoff when he gets in there.

Maybe Singer is right, he is faster off the line.
    I can't say that he is as his play at RG last year just didn't show that.
    IMHO he will need additional help and will get it from either a FB or a TE depending on what the defense shows and what the package is that we have out there.

My bigger concern at this point isn't that he will need help (cause he will) but whether Birk and TJ will recognize the what the D is gonna do and make the right adjustment for it.
    To date, I haven't seen much success in that area.
    Here's hoping Birk and TJ watched lots of tape this week and will be able to recognize what is coming.

By the way, I still think Hicks should be gone and someone with some potential should have that roster spot.

;D
    Maybe the reason some of the guys we have suck is because we put them in positions they do not play well or ask them to do things they are not the best at.

It is pretty clear that hicks is talented enough to be a starting guard in the NFL. Maybe not an elite or Pro Bowl guard, but a serviceable one. But then to take him and try to transform him into a LT may just be a little more than should be expected of him. There aren't too many guards that can successfully make the transition to being a great LT. Hell, not many LT's are great LT's.

You do remember that he was a starter for the Iggles and was good enough to be a starter in the SB right? He was good as a Guard but face it, we have 2 better guards on the team so his best chance for success is to be a backup to them, not to take him and try to make him into something he isn't like a LT.

Hicks signed with the Philadelphia Eagles in April 2002 as an un-drafted free agent. He made the active roster for the entire 2002 season. In 2003, Hicks got his first start vs. the New York Giants. Also in 2003, on a nationally televised Monday Night Football game vs. the Miami Dolphins, Hicks more than held his own vs. Jason Taylor.
    In April 2004, Hicks signed a multi-year contract extension with the Eagles. He started at Left Guard for the 2004 season, including the Super Bowl Game in 2005 vs. the New England Patriots.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artis_Hicks
    Thats all well and good, however, our most recent experience with this guy was last year when he started at RG.

Anyone remember how that worked out?

Lets hope he plays at the top of his game (which still probably won't be enough) and that the staff gives him some help so TJ doesn't get broke tomorrow.
    [/quote]

Tons of two TE sets for sure.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"NDVikingFan66" wrote:
    At least he doesnt hold all the time like Todd "Hold em not Block em" Steussie

Everytime a flag was thrown by the umpire near the O-Line...everyone knew what was coming next
    God I hated Steussie

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:

Thats all well and good, however, our most recent experience with this guy was last year when he started at RG.

Anyone remember how that worked out?
    "He's a natural left-sided guy," Childress said.

Lets hope he plays at the top of his game (which still probably won't be enough) and that the staff gives him some help so TJ doesn't get broke tomorrow.

In addition, Childress said Hicks would get the benefit of tight end, running back and fullback help, just like starting right tackle Ryan Cook.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567