singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Childress rights Vikes' ship

[size=18px]NFL report: Childress rights Vikes' ship; season's end is Edwards' Chief concern[/size]

Updated 8/9/2006 12:45 PM ET

By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY

First-year Vikings coach Brad Childress never referenced The Love Boat or Lake Minnetonka during his training-camp address to his team. Childress didn't have to.

The former Eagles offensive coordinator is well versed in distractions, having spent last season living through the Terrell Owens circus that helped derail the 6-10 Eagles after four consecutive NFC Championship Game appearances culminated in their Super Bowl XXXIX loss to New England.

Small wonder that his opening message to the Vikings was about integrity of conduct, effort and commitment. No divas or scandals on Childress' watch.

"We're creating a culture of accountability and a culture of truth," Childress says. "Coach to player, and, most importantly, player to player.

"I'm a do-the-right-thing guy. Everyone has an inner compass. If it's good for you and it makes you a better person, a better football player, do it and do it with great enthusiasm, gusto and vigor. And enjoy it.

"If it's gray, or it doesn't look right or smell right or it's wrong, you need to jump away from it like it's hot lava."

Childress is trying to instill more discipline for a franchise that unraveled under Mike Tice, culminating with a scandalous boat party last year. (This year's cruise was open to the public with proceeds going to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.)

Childress has earned his players' trust by being himself.

"You always give your new head coach the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise," Pro Bowl center Matt Birk says. "First of all, you get a new coach, you do a little of your own background check on him.

"From what I've heard from other players, he's first and foremost a standup, solid guy, and he's shown nothing but that.

"Guys want to be led by a guy they respect and admire. Last year, some things happened that were regrettable. You learn the lesson. Winning football games is hard enough. You don't want to have to deal with something like that and also try to win games on Sunday. It wears on you."

Childress knows trouble. He seemed headed for it before the intervention of his former high school coach, Chuck Dickerson, who became a surrogate father to his good friend's son when Childress' father and mother were embroiled in a divorce.

Childress lived with Dickerson's family for three years and played quarterback for Dickerson at Marmion (Ill.) Military Academy during the early 1970s. Dickerson later coached the Bills' defensive line from 1987-92.

The 69-year-old Dickerson is proud to see some of his influence in a 50-year-old NFL head coach preaching the tenets of discipline and attention to detail to the Vikings that made the difference at a turning point in Childress' life.

"Brad had to make decisions about which turn to take, and he chose the right direction," Dickerson says. "I saw that from the time he was a high school quarterback when he was living with us like my own son, Chris. It's always been in him to do the right thing and what's best for everyone concerned. That's gotten him to where he is now."

Childress visited Dickerson during the spring NFL owner's meetings in Orlando.

"We talked about old times and new times," Dickerson says. "He's had a run at other jobs, but this one just seemed right."

Childress has hired young offensive and defensive coordinators, Darrell Bevell and Mike Tomlin, respected assistants in Green Bay and Tampa Bay, respectively.

One personnel addition that looms large is the Vikings' $49 million signing of former Seahawks guard Steve Hutchinson, who teams with Birk and tackle Bryant McKinnie to form a potentially dominant left side of the line.

"Getting Hutchinson was massive," Dickerson says. "Anytime you can knock people off the ball and play good tough defense, you have a great chance to win in the NFL. I'm convinced that's Brad's plan."

Says Birk: "If we do things the right way, we have a chance to do something special."

Exactly his new coach's message.

Full Story: NFL report: Childress rights Vikes' ship; season's end is Edwards' Chief concern

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress rights Vikes' ship

A little discipline goes a long way. From what it sounds the team has found a good one.

jdvike is offline Hall of Famer

This team has needed somone that would kick their butts for years.

Go B-Chill

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

"If it's gray, or it doesn't look right or smell right or it's wrong, you need to jump away from it like it's hot lava."

Pretty much sums it up for me. We have to do better.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Says Birk: "If we do things the right way, we have a chance to do something special."
    If they can just learn to play together as a team without stupid penalties I think this team can be special. If not this year, next year for sure I see Super Bowl written all over it!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    If they can just learn to play together as a team without stupid penalties I think this team can be special. If not this year, next year for sure I see Super Bowl written all over it!

Hope you are a prophet Cojo and that we do have a Super Bowl in the Vikings near future!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Childress has earned his players' trust by being himself.
    That says plenty to me. Despite having an all new coaching staff, the fact that the players trust him & have bought inti the system, I think the boys will do quite well this year & surprise a lot of people.

I'm looking forward to see what "adjustments" Childress & co. will make during a game, when the original game plan isn't working.

No more of Loney's "same play" 3 & out series, that's for sure.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"