cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Childress quotes following OTA

Childress: Injuries first here, of course (Chris) Kluwe and (Troy) Williamson are not practicing. Williamson has a doctor's appointment tomorrow. We'll find out how that goes. A couple of other guys, (Jimmy) Redmond and (Marvin) Ward have some strained hamstrings and Tank Williams bumped his knee yesterday, so we held him out today. We had some high school coaches here at practice yesterday. I think Bob (Hagan) has got a list of those guys. We've got that Viking Children's Fund golf outing tomorrow. All in all, I think as this thing winds down, the guys have done a great job. We've had almost 100 percent participation. Guys have missed for various and sundries reasons, but we've been able to cover a lot of stuff, a lot of different situations. We've still got a couple of things to do next week in our last mini-camp. I'm very pleased with not only the participation but the competition. It's real easy to kind of slop through this thing and kind of set your eyes on the horizon until training camp, but these guys are getting with it and I think it will pay some dividends for them. A couple of other things, training camp dates, we're going to bring the rookies in on the 27th (of July) with selected veterans and then the 30th the veterans will report. I think we'll be at Mankato until Thursday the 17th. That's right before our second preseason game. We'll break camp on that Friday morning.

Q: Some teams are going to more night practices during camp. Are you planning anything like that?
    A: Just with the exception of the fact that we'll probably be working with the Chiefs and that will only be for a practice. I just think there's a level of conditioning you have to get at. We're not into those 3 ½ or 4-hour practices. We kind of work fast and hard and get on and get off. So we'll let them recover at night and not practice at night.

Q: Are you concerned with Chris Kluwe not being ready for camp or the season?
    A: I'm not concerned right now from the standpoint that his rehab has progressed. You have to kind of go with that protocol. He's been diligent about that. Obviously he's a proven commodity kicking the football. There's not a lot of data on how guys come back from ACL's on kicking legs, so we'll just have to see. In a perfect world, he comes back and he's stronger than ever. Sometimes those guys come back from rehabbing that leg so hard. We'll just have to see. I don't have a great deal of concern, no.

Q: Can you talk about Chad Greenway's progression from that first mini-camp until now?
    A: Yeah, rough in that first mini-camp but I'd say that about all of the rookies. They are just trying to feel their way around. He tweaked a hamstring a little bit in the first mini-camp, and of course we're getting after effort and we want guys flying to the football. I think he understands the tempo we are looking for. It shows up now because I think mainly because he knows a little bit more of what he is doing. It's hard to play fast when you don't know what you are doing. As the picture clears up, we see him play faster and faster.

Q: He's at the weak side primarily, is that to keep him from getting overloaded?
    A: Yeah, and most of those other linebackers have position flexibility. They have to know the big scheme of things, but yeah, we're primarily working him at that Will linebacker. We want him to know that forward and backward.

Q: Can you talk about the new receivers you signed, Josh Davis and Kevin Kasper?
    A: Yeah, we did a little film study on those guys. I remember doing Kasper coming out. He has return ability. He's played in versions of this system at Denver and to a certain extent Seattle while he was there. Davis, there are always good players coming out of Marshall, a highly competitive program. They did a good job in their workouts here. They are in shape, they catch the football, and they get in and out of breaks. You need all of those good hands on deck and with their special teams abilities, they'll have a chance.

Q: Do the players like Artis Hicks or Billy McMullen that have played in this system have a jump start on others?
    A: They have a jump in some areas, but with Artis, with a new offensive line coach and certain nuances that that line coach wants, it's different. You have to get used to a different guy coaching, a different personality, there's actually two (offensive line coaches) in our case. Billy, conceptually he understands the concepts but there is a little bit of different lingo. It's not just a rote thing coming in here where he knows it forward and backwards. So he has to work from that standpoint too and that's good, you have to study; you learn something different about different plays

Q: Could one assume that because they know it they will not have to work as hard as others out there?
    A: You can't assume anything in this business. You can't do that.

Q: Are you guys maxed out on the number of players on your roster?
    A: You know I'd have to go in and check. I think we're within one or two of being maxed out. We get a number of NFL Europe exemptions, and really, your roster will change as you start to sign some of your free agents and draft picks and that type of thing. It's a good number to work with.

Q: Koren Robinson must have been absent from practice today, was he excused?
    A: He was. He's got a child having surgery.

Q: With the latest Ben Roethlisberger accident, what is your team's policy on motorcycles?
    A: No, we don't have a policy but I think if you go up and look in that lot I don't believe you'll see a motorcycle up there. Not that I don't know that they don't own motorcycles. I think that that's probably a pretty big eye-opener for those guys. I know Mike Holmgren, Andy Reid, some of those guys have those. I don't think they ride sans helmet, but you know I am not concerned about that. Accidents are tough, and you hate to have something happen to a good person and a good player like that.

Q: So you wouldn't implement one in light of this latest accident?
    A: No, I don't think so.

Q: Does something like that cause you to address the players?
    A: Well, at a point as they leave here I am sure I'll have something to say, and maybe not specifically about that. But that's why they call them accidents, and you have to be vigilant. You only get to play this game so long and you want to play as long as you can.

Q: With Koren Robinson's role expanded as a receiver, are you looking for another return option?
    A: No, not necessarily, I am not necessarily looking for another option, I mean he was an All-Pro kickoff returner. The unknown factor is when you factor in more snaps on offense, you just have to see if it takes away from his effectiveness. Where? Does it take away from his receiving effectiveness? Does it take away from his kickoff return effectiveness? I can remember when we had Brian Mitchell at the Eagles. He was good for maybe ten plays, 15 plays during the game, and he wanted to play during the game but you saw a big hold down of his return ability. So you weigh what is more important, the starting wide receiver or the return abilities? So you have to play with those and weigh them a little bit.

Q: How comfortable are you with the linebacker position? Are you still looking on the waiver wire for help?
    A: We're always looking on the wire, because that thing is eternal. There is somebody on there everyday. If it's a person of interest we'll have him in for a workout, and if we like the guy we'll bring him in. But those guys have done a good job. It's a highly competitive position. I am not as worried about it as you might think. That's all going to sort itself out. There are good players there.

Vikings.com

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Re: Childress quotes following OTA

They sure don't seem sure on where Kluwe stands following his injury

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"cogitans" wrote:
    Coming from a football fan (the kind where the players predominantly use their feet to kick the ball), ACL's take 6-8 months to recover. It's generally accepted that a player needs to take an entire season off to get over a ligament injury such as that (the football season goes from August to May, so that's 9 months) but that's including time to regain the elusive "match fitness", when a player is able to run for a full 90 minutes.

So Kluwe should, by my logic, be ready to kick in a month or so. But what do I know; I'm not a doctor.

"Benet" wrote:
    "cogitans" wrote:
    Coming from a football fan (the kind where the players predominantly use their feet to kick the ball), ACL's take 6-8 months to recover. It's generally accepted that a player needs to take an entire season off to get over a ligament injury such as that (the football season goes from August to May, so that's 9 months) but that's including time to regain the elusive "match fitness", when a player is able to run for a full 90 minutes.

So Kluwe should, by my logic, be ready to kick in a month or so. But what do I know; I'm not a doctor.
    Yeah I'm European too, so I know how football players over here battle with those type injuries.

Still there are some difrences from playing 90 min., with having to made cuts and so forth, and going on the field making one power kick about 3-5 times in a game. I guess.

But I'm not a doctor either.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

cant wait till they come to kato

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

His explanation of Koren and his return duties makes sense.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | Childress pleased with OTA participation
    Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:22:03 -0700

Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress said the team has had nearly 100 percent participation during organized team activities. "All in all, I think as this thing winds down, the guys have done a great job," Childress said. "Guys have missed for various reasons, but we've been able to cover a lot of stuff, a lot of different situations. We've still got a couple of things to do next week in our last mini-camp. I'm very pleased with not only the participation but the competition. It's real easy to kind of slop through this thing and kind of set your eyes on the horizon until training camp, but these guys are getting with it and I think it will pay some dividends for them."

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"cogitans" wrote:
    Yeah I'm European too, so I know how football players over here battle with those type injuries.

Still there are some difrences from playing 90 min., with having to made cuts and so forth, and going on the field making one power kick about 3-5 times in a game. I guess.

But I'm not a doctor either.
    Lol, sorry man, I totally forgot you're Danish!

And you're right on the differences between NFL kickers and football players, the point I was attempting to make was that arguably a football player will need more time to recover than an NFL kicker because they have a lot more to do on the pitch, therefore the recovery time from a ligament injury should be less for an NFL kicker than it should be for a football player.

I just remembered that Ruud Van Nistelrooy suffered ligament damage the year before he moved to Manchester United, and it took him a year to regain full fitness, so that's just another example I guess.