Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Childress Press conference

Too bad it took him till the end of the year to realize his mistakes.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"bRiNg_iN_ThE_hOrNs" wrote:

Childress said he was going to consider giving up play calling?
    What he said was this;

Q: Are you going to call the plays again next year?
    A: As it stands right now, that's my plan, yeah.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    I didn't see it the same way.

He pointed out 'his guys', the free agents and draft choices did well.

He said the system was fine but he needed to call better plays. And the plays need to be executed better.(Nothing could be more obvious).

He said he planned to continue calling plays.

He said he would consider having an assistant head coach if Wilf wanted it.

I'm optomistic that Childress can get us there next year. But I don't see anything sign of great change in this press conference.

Q: Would that include maybe additional staff or a creating an assistant head coach position?

A: I don't think you rule any of that stuff out; I don't think you rule it in necessarily either. I think you need to look at all avenues that are open to you. I know that the Wilf family has been very good about things that we've wanted to do. If that was the case, I believe they would be for something like that if that would make us better.

He really doesn't say either way. He covers his ass well.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    I didn't see it the same way.

He pointed out 'his guys', the free agents and draft choices did well.

He said the system was fine but he needed to call better plays. And the plays need to be executed better.(Nothing could be more obvious).

He said he planned to continue calling plays.

He said he would consider having an assistant head coach if Wilf wanted it.

I'm optomistic that Childress can get us there next year. But I don't see anything sign of great change in this press conference.

Q: Would that include maybe additional staff or a creating an assistant head coach position?

A: I don't think you rule any of that stuff out; I don't think you rule it in necessarily either. I think you need to look at all avenues that are open to you. I know that the Wilf family has been very good about things that we've wanted to do. If that was the case, I believe they would be for something like that if that would make us better.

He really doesn't say either way. He covers his jiggly butt well.
    Thank you Singer.

Believe it or not I support Childress. I don't think he is that far off from turning it around next year.
    But I didn't see any change in Childress in this press conference.
    He said he plans on calling the offensive plays next year.
    The original poster missed that or didn't read the article.

I do however, advocate turning over the play calling to an offensive coordinator with talent.

That is where Zigi could find the most bang for the buck this off season!
    What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. Its the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

I think he NEEDS to hand over play calling. I don't think he has the creative mind for it.

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

I can understand that everyone is interpreting the conference differently. Childress was pretty vague with a lot of his answers. Especially if you watched it Live.

Like I said earlier, I thought he came across like a dog with his tail between his legs. It’s obvious he doesn’t feel comfortable with the press.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

Man, PPE they
    are tearing you a new one in this thread, saying you didn't interpret it right and chucking it up. I think you did a fine job and thank your for posting it. Whether he was just covering his ass or is sincere, he was asked what he could do better and he said playcalling. it wasn't something else, he pointed to playcalling and that shows me he knew he made ROOKIE mistakes (remember, he didn't call plays for Philly, so he's getting used to it). He is a ROOKIE NFL Coach, and should be cut some slack. I think we need at least a winning record, playoff appearance or darned close next season for him to prove he learned. I still say 3 years,
    but next year needs to have some better signs of life for sure.
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

"Braddock" wrote:
    Man, PPE they
    are tearing you a new one in this thread, saying you didn't interpret it right and chucking it up. I think you did a fine job and thank your for posting it. Whether he was just covering his jiggly butt or is sincere, he was asked what he could do better and he said playcalling. it wasn't something else, he pointed to playcalling and that shows me he knew he made ROOKIE mistakes (remember, he didn't call plays for Philly, so he's getting used to it). He is a ROOKIE NFL Coach, and should be cut some slack. I think we need at least a winning record, playoff appearance or darned close next season for him to prove he learned. I still say 3 years,
    but next year needs to have some better signs of life for sure.
    If we go out with a below .500 record next year, there's no way he should get 3 years. I'm not expecting a SuperBowl ring right away or anything, but at least a decent season.

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

I cant believe Childress's ego. My god, the only people that did good were his pick? LOL. Hes going to continue to call his own plays when 99% of the vikings fan know he shouldnt?

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Not a bad conference though it looks as if he isn't the most comfortable of people with the media - but then some HC's love all that media attention and others not so much and I think Childress falls into the latter category. Given that it may be why some of his answers and manner aren't to some peoples liking.

As he said "Hey, it's always better when you're winning. I can tell you it was a lot better at 4-2 than it is standing here at 6-10. It's tougher, and that's just the nature of today's athlete" but it may make him look at the way the coaching has been conducted with a bit more honesty than if we'd ended with an 8-8 record and scraped into the playoffs. The question of the playcalling will be the key one that he addresses and at the moment I wouldn't to guess how he's going to move on that aspect. The plays he has are good and will work - when called at the correct time in the game - just that this year they weren't called when they should have been.

I also think that he is a believer of teams developing their own players rather than trying to fix things via FA. So don't be expecting big names to coming our way as it sounds as if, at the moment, there aren't many that leap out as being wanted by the Vikes. Least this time we know it's not due to the owner having the purse strings tightened and wanting to spend the money, as I feel Zygi will have the money if the coaches have the players in mind.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast